Help needed urgently for 2010 458 italia | FerrariChat

Help needed urgently for 2010 458 italia

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Kelson Say, Jun 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kelson Say

Kelson Say Rookie

Jun 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kwee chuen Say
    #1 Kelson Say, Jun 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    Hi Everyone ,

I am from singapore, my childhood dream was to own a ferrari .So i have been saving all my life to fulfil my dream .At last after so long i could at last afford a used 458 italia

Cars in singapore are very expensive with high taxes .

I found a 2010 model 458 italia with only 1 ownership n very low mileage of only 6000 miles .it is an 8 yrs old car .
    The sales agent told me is one of the best condition used 458 in the market .

So i decided to buy it and wanted to test drive it first ....but was not allow to test drive before i purchase it .

So i went for 190 point check .Was told the front asorber was leaking and error on secondary air system

They told me that was it .And will get it fixed if i buy the car .New Absorber n rectifying the secondary air system issue

So i decided to buy it .....

But after paying for it .i get to drive it n thats where my dream had turn into a nightmare

The air con was erratic.it blows air out fast and slow but at least it was Cold .

But the biggest issue was the sound that comin from the rear while i m doing a right or left turn

I told the sales agent , service advisor n technical staff .Their reply was some 458 has that sound cause by differential
    and it wont affect the car peformance or gearbox etc ....

I was shock to hear that .How could a Ferrari an so expensive car has such noise .

I been driving it for a week .this issue causes me so much sadness n desperate looking for answers .So i hoping any kind soul here has an answer for my problems i m facing .

Is this cloaking sound cause by the differential normal on a 458?

I was told that changing a hydralic clutch carriage could solve this issue

Any owners here have encounter so issue .

Please help as i m desperate for a solution .

Thanks in advance !

2. RaceMX-M3

RaceMX-M3 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2010
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Sorry to hear. Best wishes for getting this resolved.

3. QueueCumber

QueueCumber Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2015
    CT
    Full Name:
    QC
    Not sure what the sound is unless you post audio of it. I don't recall having that issue in any of my 458s. In the spider I currently own, I don't know if I would hear it anyway due to always having the back window open or the top down.

Kelson Say likes this.
  4. cool flash

cool flash Karting

Jun 18, 2016
    8 years old and odometer shows 6000 miles...Hmmm

Is this a local Singapore car or import from someplace else?

The 458 Italia requires annual service (at least oil service and brake fluid) regardless of miles driven. How many services has your car had? Which dealer/shop performed these services? Once you find out, go talk to them if they have service records and try to verify mileage. Then try to talk to the tech that worked on the car most. He may remember any abnormal sounds.

This should not be that difficult to investigate?

5. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    You didn't say if you purchased from the dealer or not. If so, I would find the best independent mechanic you can and have him inspect it to understand what the issues are. If not, take it to the dealer to quantify the problems. Either way, sorry to hear your tale of woe.

6. Kelson Say

Kelson Say Rookie

Jun 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kwee chuen Say
    I bought from the official dealer who import the ferrari in Singapore .it was an consigment car by their customer.

7. Kelson Say

Kelson Say Rookie

Jun 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kwee chuen Say
    The service done yearly

8. Kelson Say

Kelson Say Rookie

Jun 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kwee chuen Say
    I bought it from the dealer

9. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    please post video on the sound otherwise it will be impossible to guide you. I had sounds on my previous 458 and ave sounds coming from my current 458 dash panel but that is something you have to live with.

10. cool flash

cool flash Karting

Jun 18, 2016
    So have you talked to the garage that serviced this car?

Kelson Say likes this.
  11. Kelson Say

Kelson Say Rookie

Jun 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kwee chuen Say
    Hi guys .

Today i have send it to the serviceccentre and get it diagnose n rectify .

Will post an update here !

Thank u

12. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Kelson Say likes this.
  13. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Hi Kwee,

First of all I sincerely hope everything works out for you and that you start enjoying your lovely 458 very soon, as it is one of the most astonishing and addictive cars I've ever owned!

It seems you've been the victim of something I've been saying for years: mileage alone (in particular LOW mileage) means NOTHING at all in terms of knowing what kind of shape the car is in.

Did you buy your 458 from an official dealer? If so, some cars are Ferrari Certified and with a 12 (possible up to 24) month warranty. If the car was eligible was sold as Ferrari certified, the dealer must account for the failures (and I haven't known of any cases in which they didn't).

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Kelson Say likes this.
  14. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Hi Kwee,

First welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear of your issues and concerns. The 458 is a fantastic car, so I suspect once these issues are resolved, you'll really fall in love with it. I had a 458 Italia for several years and it's hands down the best Ferrari (or any car) I've ever owned. Even better than the 488 GTB in my opinion.

On the A/C, there are a couple of things you can try, which might help. A/C has never been a strong point on Ferraris in my experience. If you want cold A/C, you pretty much have to enable the recirculation button - without it, you probably aren't going to have much luck. Also, myself, I never use the "auto" setting (which is far to the left or right on the dial). I go just 1 click shy of that, which allows me to maintain a fixed temperature, as opposed to allowing the car to do it. Also, I always engage the "mono" button, so there is only one (i.e. the driver's) control temp involved. The lowest fan setting doesn't accomplish much, so usually you have to turn the fan speed up a bit also to really get results.

On the 458 and the sound from the rear...

There are a couple of strange sounds the 458 makes, which are totally normal. First, occasionally, you'll hear a bizarre sound which sounds like someone winding in a coil or wire rope on a spool. The first time you hear it, it's rather alarming. I believe it's the electronic parking brake readjusting itself. First time I heard it, I had just left the house and I thought for sure my alternator belt broke and spun off the motor haha. It's normal and happens maybe every 1500 or 2000 miles.

As far as clunking noises from the back. I'm not totally sure from your description there, but on the 458, when you come to a stop generally and/or when you are just about to take off, there is often a "thunk" noise you'll hear. It sounds kinda like a differential mount is loose and something is bumping up/down back there. All the cars do that and it's normal. I spoke with my dealer about it and I forget what he said it was. It might have been the auto hold thing releasing, but I'm not totally sure now. If you aren't aware the car is engaging and disengaging things back there, it can sound kinda like something is loose - especially since it happens quite often when you are starting / stopping away from a stop sign or signal. Anyway, if that's what you are hearing, that's normal.

Now, if the sound you are hearing is being generated during turns and has more of a chattering sound, that could stem from the use of incorrect gear box oil. I ran into a situation on either my 360 or perhaps it was one of my Toyota SUV's where I changed the differential oil myself, but I decided to omit the friction reduction additive. I can't remember which car it was, but I remember that initially I think I drained and replaced the LSD oil and either didn't use any (or used 1/2 as much as suggested) as far as the friction modifier goes. When I drove the car, it was horrible. Anytime you'd back up or turn left or right at slow speed, it felt like someone was back there kicking the wheels and the car would sort of have a shuddering sound/feeling. It didn't take me long to realize the issue related to the friction modifier additive. I believe I added a few more ounces and that resolved the issue. So, depending on what you are experiencing there, I'm wondering if perhaps someone changed the oil in the gear box / differential area and either used the wrong oil or perhaps didn't know to add the friction modifier or something. I can look through my records and see if I can find any notes regarding my experience with it, but I just wanted to mention what I went through, since it sort of sounds similar to what you are describing (especially with the left and right turning being involved).

Keep in mind, when you turn left or right, one wheel of the vehicle is traveling through a much smaller arc than the other and this results in two different rates of rotations for the left vs. rear tire. If there isn't something working to allow the tires to slip at different rotational speed, then you are going to hear something popping or jerking back there - either with the tires themselves (as they slip on the pavement), or with the internal LSD of the car.

Here is a test you can do.. drive the car on a dirt road and see if the noise goes away. If the road has dirt on it, it will help to allow the tires to turn at different rates in the dirt/sand more easily and you can see if the noise changes or vanishes. If it then return as soon as you are on a paved road (which provides better traction to the tires), then you will at least know it's something related to the differential mechanism slipping - and if that's the case, it's either due to a failure back there or usually the gear oil not allowing something to slip and slide correctly.

It might also be low fluid level. I remember on one of my motorcycles, it absolutely refused to go into neutral when stopped. It would go to either 1st gear or 2nd gear, but it would skip past Neutral constantly. I drained the oil (which on a bike is typically shared by the motor and transmission) and used some very slick Motul racing oil - nothing else changed and on the next ride the gear box worked flawlessly.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth :) Maybe something I've touched upon here relates to your situation.

458 is a fantastic car, but I do believe the earlier cars did have some issues now and again with the DCT.

Again, welcome to the forum and do please keep us all posted.

Ray

Melvok, Kelson Say and Ggear like this.
  15. Kelson Say

Kelson Say Rookie

Jun 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kwee chuen Say
  16. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

? If its a FERRARI approved car from Ferrari dealership they will as it should have at minimum 12 months. If you didn't purchase it this way all I can say is :(

17. Kelson Say

Kelson Say Rookie

Jun 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kwee chuen Say
    Hi Nuno

Yes i bought the car from the dealership
    .it was an consignment from their customer .So i am working with them on a deal to get it fixed.Thank u so much for yr reply

s deal

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  18. Kelson Say

Kelson Say Rookie

Jun 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kwee chuen Say
    Hi Ray

Appreciate so much with yr detail explanation .i have send it in and was told the noise is cause bt the differential .They be changing a hydralic clutch carriage .

For the air con they will check if there is any software to be updated .

My front absorbers was found leaking .
    Even with so low mileage .
    Going to change that

Lastly there is a fault in the secondary air system that warms up the car faster before u drive off

Hopefully all this can be done n get fix by the dealership

Regards
    Kelson

19. Kelson Say

Kelson Say Rookie

Jun 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kwee chuen Say
    I have purchase the power warranty

MANDALAY likes this.
  20. Kelson Say

Kelson Say Rookie

Jun 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kwee chuen Say
    AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  21. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The secondary air system is pretty simple if I remember correctly. That might be an easy fix. On my 458, I have removed the front coil overs myself; it's a pretty straightforward job, so I wouldn't lose too much sleep over that one either.

Ray

Kelson Say likes this.
  22. Kelson Say

Kelson Say Rookie

Jun 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kwee chuen Say
    Today i have just got back my car
    They change the differential and the noise is gone .

Thanks everyone for sharing yr view .

Have a good day !

Cheers !

ebw001 and evo3 like this.
  23. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Current Dealer services on the 458 are all computerized directly to Ferrari. No longer need to track them. Can't tell you if this was in effect on the earlier 458's. Thus any Dealer with the Vin can find all Ferrari Dealer Services performed.

24. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Congrats! The 458 is the best car Ferrari has made to date, so as long as it does its thing, you should be happy with it I think. Give it some time and learn to drive it; you'll fall in love with it I think.

Ray

25. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Happy to hear your problem seems to be cured … but how ?

Btw, how long was the 458 inside that dealers garage ?

Changed the diff ?

Can you be more specific please, you cannot simply pull out and exchange a diff … ist a complete DCT.

Can you ask the dealers a bit more dertails please ? We would like to learn what is was and how it was solved ...please…

Bit of a mysterie to me/us now ...