Help please! The agony of decision: 330 GTC vs. 365 GTC | FerrariChat

Help please! The agony of decision: 330 GTC vs. 365 GTC

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Julio Batista, Sep 14, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    I am lucky to own a great 330 GTC that I have enjoyed for the past 4 years, investing the usual sizeable amounts to keep it in an excelent, well driven condition. I love it, love the blue color, have rallied it extensively, and have found it highly reliable.

But...

A good friend (which I am presently cursing) just called yesterday to offer me a prisitine, well priced silver 365 GTC. Of course I had to go and try it, and of course I fell in love: With the torque (even stronger than the 330), with the adequate interior ventilation (the 330 practically has none), and with the lack of side vents, which give the car a cleaner, less fussy look than a 330.

Oh what to do?????????

Now I have trouble concentrating on my work... I think I need some Fchat wisdom. Thanks!

2. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    I MUCH prefer the looks of the 330 just because of the side vents. The flanks of the 365 appear too clean to me.

3. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    #3 Jack-the-lad, Sep 14, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
    Easy choice....the one you like more. I personally prefer the look of the 330 (I dislike the 365's plastic bonnet vents and absence of fender gills), but I prefer the apparent increased performance of the 365. Since the only 365GTC I've driven was not in peak tune I can't comment on the difference in performance. Either way, it sounds like a nice dilemma to have!

Jack.

PS: You could buy the 365, compare the two for a few months and then sell one or the other.

4. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Julio,

I too prefer the look of the 330 w/ side vents over the 365. However I think the engine upgrade might be a more significant factor. Let me state that I have never driven a 365 GTC. But I did own a 365 GT for a time. And I clearly remember how much stronger an engine the type 245 was than the 330s 209. Some have said that the 365 GTC is as fast as a Daytona to 100 mph.

What a dilemma for you!

5. jjmcd

jjmcd Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2004
    Keep in mind the 'devil that you know' versus the 'devil that you don't know' argument. It sounds like you've spent a fair amount of time (and money) turning your 330 into a reliable runner. You may need to do that process all over again with the 365.

Also, I think that dark colors are much more becoming on larger Ferraris -- silver flattens out the lines.

I would spend a few thousand dollars on a "vintage air" or similar A/C set up for your 330 (since that sounds like your main gripe) and keep it. Within the last year, someone here on F-chat had the A/C upgrade done on a 330.

6. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    What was the factory's rationale for the 365GTC? Porsche was known for making "interim" models from parts bin leftovers from series that were going out of production. This was especially true of body and trim pieces. So, was the 365GTC created to use up 4.4 liter engines and GTC body parts, packaged as a new model?

7. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I think you've made the decision!

8. hbuzz

hbuzz Rookie

Aug 10, 2006
    California
    Full Name:
    Roger Hoffmann
    Julio,

I have a 365GTC (12795) and find it a spectacular car to drive and enjoy. It has exhilarating performance, comfort, and, for me, is the total package. Last year I briefly had a 330GTS, and though it was a wonderful car, the difference in HP and torque I found disappointing, having been accustomed to the 365. Still, you have no bad choices here between two excellent cars. Best of luck.

Roger

9. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I agree w/ Steve - the back-to-back difference between the tipo 209 and the 245 is pretty amazing for only 400ccs more. I guess having the more "square" bore-to-stroke makes the 245 a real stump-puller.

Also, I did not realize that the bonnet grills in the 365 were plastic - I thought they were the pot metal w/ the baked-on satin/flat black grills that are nearly in the same position on the queem mothers.

10. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    I own both, and I would agree that the 365 is much faster than the 330. Both are great tourers, but I feel like I could win a race with the 365 if I ever decided to go racing.

I'd also agree that the poorly grafted cut-out side vents of the 330 do not look proportionally correct, but that's a matter of taste. The plastic vents on the 365 are problematic, in that they tend to warp over time.

There was a great thread here a few months ago which accurately discussed the major differences between the two cars, such as the better gear box, better brakes, etc.

One thing which I do not like about the 365 is that they come with a cable clutch which tends to be rather heavy, and that the 365 motor in general tends to run hotter. But the sheer performance improvement over the 330 tends to make you forget about such things. I've been toying with the idea of converting my cable clutch to hydraulic (which would be a simple conversion, looks like) to solve that problem anyways.

11. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    For exactly the same reason, (except taken in reverse) - I like the 365.

12. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC

13. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Julio,

Is the 330 GTC one of the cars your dad owned?

If not, it sounds like you would prefer the improvements of the more modern version. Both are great and if you know that the 365 has been well cared for, the risk is small. I think you will be fine either way.

Regards,

Art S.

PS. I like the suggestion mentioned earlier: Add rather than replace...

14. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix

Going from your own remarks, you LOVE the 330 but you WANT the 365. You only need to justify it to yourself. No need, there is only one to make that decision and you don't need to answer to anyone!

Deep down you know you'll always regret it if you let the 365 slip past.

15. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Julio....

What are friends for eh ?

16. C4ever

C4ever Karting

Feb 14, 2006
    Greenbelt Md
    Full Name:
    Les Putnam
    Sounds like the 365 would make a fine mistress, provided the 330 doesn't find out.

17. GTVeloce

GTVeloce Karting

Jul 19, 2009
    Kauai Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    LOL!

18. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Julio, I had this same conversation with Gary Bobileff several years ago. (Gary if you see this, it was the 2005 Cavallino when we went to dinner with the Roushs. I hope you don't mind me sharing this.) He said the 365 motor is heads and shoulders above the 330 for a number of reasons, which I have forgotten... too much vino I suspect. But you may want to contact him. He is a sponser here, I think.

Dale

19. etceterini.com

etceterini.com Karting

May 26, 2008
    St. Louis MO
    Full Name:
    Cliff Reuter
    #19 etceterini.com, Sep 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    The 365 is more rare than the 330 (almost four times more rare). Also more expensive. Both are not fast cars by today's standards. Going from the 330 to the 365 is not a huge improvement unless you're upgrading to a 275 GTB. For the $100K+ you'll need to spend, I don't really see the upside. Unless money in no object.

Geno.

21. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    ?? I think the GTCs are pretty diminiutive.

It was not created to use up engines - the 365 was the new engine going forward and used in Daytona later on, albeit with modifications.

I think the 365 engine was dropped into the 330 to give a new lease of life to the model.

@Julio: a nice luxury problem you have there! Personally, I would not not exchange the 330 if it has been in the family for a long time. But other than that - you already know what a nice car the GTC is, so a bit more grunt doesn't hurt. Have fun deciding!

Onno

22. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    The 365GTC was a logical evolution of the 330GTC, using the larger engine of the 365GT 2+2, which gave more power.

Ferrari didn't ever do "parts bin leftovers". :rolleyes:

The GTC was always an eclectic model, favoured by understated and tasteful people, hence their relative rarity. Both versions are great.

23. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur

24. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    It sounds to me like the 365 2-cam could be a natural progressional step between the 330 2-cam and 365 4-cam? It's just pure conjecture but could it be that the reliability of the 4-cam was difficult to achieve? I know the 275 had 4-cams already, though, so perhaps I'm off base here. Ferrari was also a practical man so he might have not seen the need to put in the extra development and just go with the easy option, as you mentioned, since the 365GTC was an end-of-the line model in any case. He might have wanted to save the 4-cam development for the GTB/4.

Perhaps the truth is a little of all these things combined.

Onno

25. 275gtb6c

275gtb6c Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2006
    europe
    Full Name:
    oscar
    Hi Julio,

Just don't! Too close to what you have and the 330 has important pedigree to you. If you want to expand your collection, go for something 80's, or a nice 250/275.

Ciao
    Oscar