Help please! The agony of decision: 330 GTC vs. 365 GTC | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Help please! The agony of decision: 330 GTC vs. 365 GTC

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Julio Batista, Sep 14, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    #26 Julio Batista, Sep 15, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
    Guys, all your answers are insightful, often funny, and always instructive. Thank you very much! My passion for classic Ferraris has once again received a boost, through my Fchat interaction with their excellent and generous owners!

I also thank you for your indulgence, because I realize that I am extremely fortunate in having to solve such a "dillema". As an analogy, a man who would have to choose between two supermodels to spend the night with is not really to be pitied... Especially when the possibility also exists of spending the night with both at the same time!

My 330 GTC is not one of my father's cars. If it was, we wouldn't be having this debate (dad's cars are sacred), and it wouldn't be blue (dad's cars will always keep their original colors, his favorite was unfortunately white).

On to the 330 vs. 365 arguments:

For the 365 GTC:

- Most of you have repeatedly indicated and confirmed to me that the 365 engine does have significantly more torque and an overall better engine and performance. I got the same impression.

- The side vents vs. the top vents are of course a pure matter of taste. I had until now preffered the vents on the side; seeing them on the top has made me change my mind. The car appears to me much "cleaner" without the side vents.

- I suspect the greater rarity of the 365 makes it probably a better "investment".

For the 330 GTC:

- It's my car. Four years of research and careful E bay hunting (took me a year to find the original A/C control buttons) have allowed me, at great cost, effort, and satisfaction, to have it exactly where I want it: Manuals, pouch, tool rolls, new A/C, period Becker Mexico connected to a perfectly hidden modern stereo system with Ipod connection (I know,that might have been excessive), more than 3000 miles a year with no problem, VERY GOOD track times (pardon the lack of modesty) in rallyes. It's comfortable, powerful, and reliable.

- My wife. She hates my Dino (she feels she is sitting on the road, the noise behind her head gives her a headache, and the three-point seat belts make her feel constricted: BS), she is terrified of the 212 (she says it has no brakes and freaks at the lack of seatbelts: Partly true), and she does not trust the 250 (she says it's not sorted out yet: True). The only car that finds favour in her heart is the 330 GTC.

- My 330 has what for me is a PERFECT color.

Remaining question:

- Is the weight difference noticeable in the handling? I don't like the handling of cars with lots of weight up front: That was the main (and perhaps the only) thing I really disliked about the 250 GTE, which I sold a few years ago.

Not applicable:

- Clutch: My 330 is unfortunately a late model with the same mechanical clutch as the 365. I agree it is inferior. The only time my 330 "failed to proceed" was because the cable broke. That's when I discovered it was possible (but not ideal) to drive without a clutch for more than 300 miles...

- A/C: With the help of Steve Markowski, my 330 now has excellent air conditioning (not the same thing as ventilation, for that all I have are windows).

Impactful posts:

- JJMCD makes a very powerful argument: Better the devil you know! Of course, the flip side of that argument is that getting one of these cars in the condition you want it is expensive and time consuming, but it is also a great source of pleasure in its own right.

- Art S and others make a logical and excessively attractive suggestion: Adding instead of replacing!

- Geno and Oscar believe that the power increase does not justify the added cost. I have also heard the same reasoning from others in Spain: If I am going to upgrade, why not go for a 275? - This one makes me think...

- C4ever makes perhaps the most insightful comment: The 365 would make a fine mistress, provided the 330 doesn't find out!

-KDS: Friends are so dangerous....

-GTE: Big can of worms you open there: How do you distinguish, and how do you value, WANTING one thing but LOVING another? Once again, Ferraris share analogies with sex. I believe that is not a coincidence!

Anyway, I have taken a decision: I am just going to "explore" the price of the 365 GTC a little bit more with the seller, and drive it again (if possible on a track) to see how it goes...

Guys, please don't laugh too hard at me, and thanks again for the advice.

2. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Decision made. :)

If it's the one in your profile pic, then yes, that is an awesome colour.

Good luck - I'll be intrigued to find out what you decide.

Onno

3. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    I suspect the issue was the width of the 4 cam engine. The Daytona has a more modern front suspension design with a wider engine cradle and the engine bay is noticably wider. I very much doubt if a Daytona engine would physically fit in a GT or GTC.

4. Italian Lover

Italian Lover Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2006
    Full Name:
    Italian Lover
    +1, Oscar. w/ smiles Jimmy

5. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Julio,

About a year and a half ago I was trying to make the decision on whether to "upgrade" from my 330 GTC to a 365 GTC. If I made the switch I would have sold my 330 [market was hot at the time] and begin the search for the right 365. I spoke with a couple of vintage experts about the concept. The general consensus was that it was not worth the effort nor investment [about a $100k more]. Tom Shaughnessy graciously spent a fair amount of time on the phone explaining why he thought it was not a worthwhile transaction. Especially if I liked the 330 that I had in my possession.

I still sometimes wonder if I went the correct route by not seeking a 365. But I am so far down the road with making my 330 a better car there is no turning back.

6. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    #31 Julio Batista, Sep 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. naparsei

naparsei Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2005
    Land of Enchantment
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Roger, I agree. I think your 365 must have been the very last one made. Have you posted pictures of it? I'd love to see them.

Great color, that blue. My 365 is blu sera, which is not metallic and much darker. I like the 365GTC, although I do think the 330 is more aesthetic. The 365 definitely has more power. Based on my experiences with old cars (not as extensive as yours), I would keep the one you have though - unless you have a lot of free/spare time, a fully-sorted Ferrari is worth a lot more in terms of ownership experience compared with one that is less sorted. And let's face, I'm sure your friend kept the car nicely, but his quirks are probably different than your quirks, so you'll spend some time getting the car the way you want it.

Best,
    Alex

8. Cozmic_Kid

Cozmic_Kid F1 Veteran

Dec 1, 2005
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    B. Frandsen
    I love that car. It's such a beautiful design.

9. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #34 El Wayne, Sep 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've driven both and was surprised at how much more responsive the 365 felt but, aesthetically, I prefer the vent configuration of the 330. I guess I would just have to settle for 330 GTC s/n 10581 with the factory-installed 4.4 liter motor:). Love the look of the wheels as well!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I agree with an earlier poster. If you are looking to expand your collection, I suggest getting into something different than what you currently have. We could argue the pros and cons of the 330 and 365 all day when perhaps you might be better served in looking into something completely different. Right now we are just splitting hairs and unless you have always desired a 365 in your collection, I would pass.

11. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm surprised to say that I don't think those wheels look right on that car.

12. GTVeloce

GTVeloce Karting

Jul 19, 2009
    Kauai Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Beautiful car and color! The wheels look fine IMO. The only thing really wrong is the ugly huge side marker lights on the car.
    Pinin Farina would not be pleased. Remove them forthwith!

13. don

don Karting

Jan 7, 2004
    Dunedin Florida USA
    Full Name:
    Don Nelson
    Go for the 365 GTC. I had one in 1970, and kept it for about 4-5 years, used as a weekends and long trips car, and I believe that it is one of the most underestimated Ferraris around.

From the UK, I drove to the Frankfurt and Geneva motor shows every year, and the car would settle in to a nice 130 mph cruise with no problems in good comfort. The performance at the time was as quick as anything you would normally find on the road.

I thought so much of the car, that on occasion, I would go to meetings in London in my 250 GTO, as I didn't want the GTC to get scratched while parked in the street.

I guess times have changed somewhat !

14. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    By pure ridiculous circumstance I was watching the DUKE 50 years of Ferrari video yesterday, which features that very car, parked in that very spot. Owned by Leopoldo Pirelli, it was used for testing Pirelli tires and it was also the very first Ferrari to sport the 5-pointed star rims that became so typical for Ferrari. So although few people will know, they do belong on that car.

Yesterday morning, I would not have known that... funny.

Onno

15. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Onno,

Now that I see this in text in front of me, I recall someone telling me that story. I think though that this may hold true for a Ferrari road-car, but weren't the 5-spoked wheels first used on the P-series cars?

Julio:

Did you ever miss any grunt in your 330? Driving it back to back with a younger sibbling is always going to favour the further developed example. Drive the 365 for a month and that extra grunt means nothing anymore, you 'absorbed' the experience and got used to it.
    Rather take the 100k difference and buy a Boxer for a good kick in the b*tt. *your wife will hate it though if she thinks a 246 is loud)

16. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    It's round about the same time, it's quite possible you're right. But my understanding of the comment in the video was for a production car.

Onno

17. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    "Rather take the 100k difference and buy a Boxer for a good kick in the b*tt. *your wife will hate it though if she thinks a 246 is loud"

I had a carbed Boxer s/n 21171 for 9 yrs. Now I have a Euro Dino. Even though the Boxer has 2x the engine and power the Dino exhaust is pretty loud in comparison.

The Dino is a good car for these days of big law enforcement......You work hard at running it fast, it makes all the right sounds and all the while you are still under the speed limit.

but I digress......the GTC is the topic here.....and the 365 is probably the one of the best of the FCars made IMHO.

18. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Great thread!

From what I understand (usually not much;-)) 365GTCs tend to be bought by people who have owned numerous other Ferraris, have satisfied their thirst for owning the poster cars such as 275GTB's Daytonas and eventually as their knowledge and first hand experience grows they get more and more tempted and interested and wanting to buy one, realizing the amazing package it constitutes and yes as Onno pointed out they are quite diminutive and that I believe is actually a major plus: great grunt in something not too large -but in no way too small- that you can have fun with on track or back roads where Testarossa or Diable drivers will hold their breath if a truck comes the other way with an inch to spare: small(er) is beautful and having driven several 330GTC's was enjoyable but mainly made me hungry to discover a 365!

best regards,

Marc

19. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
  20. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Julio........now I understand......you do have troubles in that decision. Very nice 365......

21. efe360

efe360 Formula Junior

May 19, 2008
    barcelona
    Full Name:
    F

No doubt. This 365 GTC.
    É bellissima.

22. C4ever

C4ever Karting

Feb 14, 2006
    Greenbelt Md
    Full Name:
    Les Putnam
    Am I wrong, or are those 15" wheels? I ask because all the 330/365 GTCs I've seen wore 14s, and these look kinda oversized for this model.

23. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #48 synchro, Sep 16, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
    Isn't it true that the later 15 inch wheels will fit on the 330/365 without offset correction? Just bolt on directly...
    I like the standard mags over the Borranis, but that is personal taste.

I imagine there are lots of Dino owners that would aspire to owning a 365GTC
    (raises hands twice).

Weren't there only about 150 examples of the 365GTC that were produced? If you have the opportunity for such exclusivity, it would be sad to pass it up. I believe I've heard that valve adjustments are far simpler than on the Dino - screw type rather than bucket & shims.

24. hbuzz

hbuzz Rookie

Aug 10, 2006
    California
    Full Name:
    Roger Hoffmann
    Julio,

Buy ..... that ..... beautiful .... car.

Roger

25. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    fantastic color. really nice with those lines.