Help please! The agony of decision: 330 GTC vs. 365 GTC | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Help please! The agony of decision: 330 GTC vs. 365 GTC

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Julio Batista, Sep 14, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You can keep the extra one at my house, I'll move the other Ferraris into the rain......

2. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    #52 xs10shl, Sep 17, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
    No, it's a different hub 32 vs 42 for the later cars. You can however order 15" rims with the proper 32 hub from Borrani ( I think they were for a different car, but I've seen them on a 275GTB ). In this case, I suspect the wheels in the photo appear larger because the owner has installed a 205/70VR14 instead of a larger-diameter 205VR14.

3. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    #53 IanB, Sep 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I think it has the wrong steering wheel too...

Should look like this on a 365. Concave rim, no ebony insert.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. cinquevalvole

cinquevalvole Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Germany, Bayern
    That's big trouble!
    If I had decide to run the 330 AND a 365 GTC plus several other vintage cars, no time would be left for other things in life. :p

5. RED GTS

RED GTS Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2004
    Full Name:
    Gungnir
    Love the color of the 330, just beautiful.

6. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    You seem awfully sure of that. Why were so few built?

7. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Seems to me that when Ferrari has a current offering that is scheduled for replacement it sometimes was given a upgrade or modification to extend the model for a short spell. The 330 GTC was produced from 66 to early 68. So to extend the life of the GTC the 245 engine being used in the 365 GT 2+2 was fitted to upgrade the model extending its production from 68 into 69. The new Berlinetta, the 365 GTB/4 was introduced as the mainstay replacing the already discontinued 275 GTB/4. Thereafter the new Coupe replacing the GTC was the 365 GTC/4 introduced in 71.

So as a long winded way of answering your question I guess you could think of the 365 GTC as an interim model. Just so happens this interim model is nearly as quick as the Daytona that came later. Not bad.......

8. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Because GTC's were built to order, not to occupy an assembly line. Few were ordered because they appealed to a different kind of buyer. The typical first-time Ferrari buyer in 1969 went straight to a Daytona.

The GTC was a typical old school Ferrari product decision, it was never going to sell in volume and it was always expensive to build, combining a 275 rear half with a 330/365 GT front. You can imagine that FIAT's accountants excised it quickly from the catalogue when they took over.

The C4 on the other hand, was clearly the work of product planners. It is a coupe made from a sedan in the well used mass car market tradition, utilising the underpinnings of the GT4 2+2 and having rear seats to broaden its appeal. Any number of FIAT coupes followed this safe path. An Italian Mustang! :)

I'm not saying that to criticise C4's btw, only to highlight just one aspect of why GTC's are special.

9. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Very interesting.

10. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    Power is an intoxicant. after 33 years with a Lusso, 5 years without and now with a 365GT 2+2, the power is fun. My Queen isn't as valuable or as delicate, lacks the Lusso's light on her feet feeling but I really love the engine, power steering,air conditioning,5 speed and also the trunk. Years ago I drove a Lusso that had a hot 330 engine and a few other mods that really made for a much better car.

11. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    Ouch!!

She is painfully pretty :eek:

12. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    with more torque, responsiveness, and with looks like that..... sure I see your dilemma but wow.... I would go for that one.

13. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    Do you have any other pictures of that 365 GTC for our viewing pleasure??

It simply looks perfect in that color combo (IMO) :eek:

14. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    I can see how you would miss 'ol blue were you get rid of her. That one is special.

15. ferrari sulla pellicola

ferrari sulla pellicola Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2004
    Los angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard
    quite the dilemma...i vote for the 365 gtc! ive driven both versions over the years and consider the 365 one of my favorite all time Ferraris!.the quote from Bobileff is spot on about the 365 engine bring superior!i can understand the sentimental aspect of the 330 but heres a chance for a new chapter of ferrari ownership!

16. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    You also have to take into account how much wear the engines in each car have. I am always amazed how strong a 330GTC runs after we rebuild the engine on one. The majority of the cars out there are way down on power as compared with when they were new. (Our better pistons and cams also help out quite a bit)

The 365 does have a noticeable difference in low end torque over the the 330, this helps where it counts: normal driving around town. You want to accelerate to make a lane change, just mash the right pedal down and the car just goes. Tire spinning antics exiting corners are easily achieved.

Power varies significantly from car to car. I test drove two 330GTC's back to back. One had a new motor that we had just done, the other had a motor that seemed to run ok, was running on all 12 cylinders and didn't smoke, but from my seat of the pants dyno it felt like an 80HP difference in power.

I would test drive a good running 365 before making any decision.

Brian Brown
    Patrick Ottis Co.

17. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    I'd like to have this kind of dilemma of choice.

18. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Thank you for all your comments and advice. I have made a decision, and I apologize for dissapointing those who were pulling me in another direction...

I drove my 330GTC to a meeting with the 365 GTC seller. I was able to drive both cars extensively on a range of different roads, one after the other, and to do a few "chases" on mountain roads, also driving them one after the other. I realize that I am very used to my 330, which I consider particularly well set up. I can't judge the setup of the 365, and of course I am not used to driving it. Given these two important caveats, here are the impressions that led to the decision:

1. The 365 has much, much more torque at low revs. As the revs climb, the difference becomes less and less noticeable to me, but the impact when accelerating from a stop is DRAMATIC. The 365 REALLY PULLS in first or second gears; the roundabouts can be frightening, I am sure you would pay a very high price for a slip of the foot on the accelerator pedal. It pulls like a locomotive. The 330 is no slouch in that department, but the 365 is incredible. I am also not used to "monster power" Ferraris (Daytona, BB512, modern stuff...), and the 365 probably belongs in that category. But once the car is moving above 100 km/h, the 330 practically keeps up with the 365.

Another advantage of the torque at low revs is that you can drive the 365 with fewer gear shifts than the 330; it could probably be a more relaxing drive if you wish to potter around in the top gears.

2. The 365 has a significantly better NOISE. Nobody mentioned this in the thread. The sound is more grave, masculine and "explosive" than the sound of the 330. In fact, a much nicer sound.

3. The absence of side vents on the 365 IMO improves the general lines and flow of the body. I like it more than the 330. However, the little black plasticky vents on the top of the 365 hood look silly and cheap. The interior does have much better ventilation, but I find the new vents on top of the dashboard ugly and over-sized.

4. I prefer the blue of my 330 to the silver of the 365.

5. I prefer the handling of my 330 to that of the 365. The 365 feels heavier to me, with the weight more forward. Is it the setup? Is it because I am used to the 330? Is there a weight and balance difference on the 365? - I don't know, but I enjoyed the 365 less.

Bear in mind that my golden handling reference is my dear Dino. I judge the handling of my other cars by how much they deviate from "Dino handling" (of course they all deviate to a certain extent), and with that very subjective personal method the 330 comes out ahead.

6. A closer look has also revealed to me a few "cosmetic" interior details which are not entirely to my taste, despite the excellent general interior condition, which is much superior to that of my 330.

And so, after intense meditation, I have decided to remain faithful to my 330. Pray tell, what would I do with all that 365 torque? I might be tempted into silly red light races with teenagers driving turboed red (of course) peugeots, which I would probably lose. At the first hint of rain, I would be visiting the woods ass-backwards. And at the next classic track event, my eyes would be covered by a red mist if I was overtaken by a Daytona, and then anything might happen. More importantly, my Dino would perhaps dissapoint me if I became accostumed to the monster torque of the 365, and that I cannot allow.

But still, that noise...

19. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well written!

Compliments on your loyalty......it is always that way, with the first one to claim our heart.

20. yale

yale Formula Junior

May 2, 2004
    New York City
    Dear Julio,

So appreciate your report and comparison of these two cars as I have always wondered what would be the real world difference between them. Supposedly the 365 is only 70 pounds heavier then the 330 but perhaps that is enough to make it -feel- heavier. Thank you! Yale

21. 275gtb6c

275gtb6c Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2006
    europe
    Full Name:
    oscar
    Julio,

Amen!

"
    Bear in mind that my golden handling reference is my dear Dino
    "

so true! (although a little underpowered)

Ciao
    Oscar

ps the queeste, according to my lovely wife, is the biggest part of the fun!

22. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    #72 Jack-the-lad, Sep 28, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
    Julio,

Tough choice. I'm personally glad that you're still among the brotherhood of 330GTC owners.

Jack.

23. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    #73 Jack-the-lad, Sep 28, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
    Brian,

Can a 330 engine be built to 365 spec relatively easily? What are the important differences...crank, cams, heads, etc.?

Thanks.

Jack

24. Italian Lover

Italian Lover Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2006
    Full Name:
    Italian Lover
    Julio: Thank you, enjoyed, and agree with your comments/ impressions. In my opinion, you have made the most sensible decision. More power is indeed intoxicating, but then you do get used to it, just like everything else. Less HP'd cars have higher rev sweet spot with shrieking sound in that range. If you have ever driven a Dino 206 vs. Dino 246, the situation is similar. I am happy for you now that this ordeal is behind you. w/ smiles Jimmy

25. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Julio-

Few get the opportunity to conduct a side by side comparative of these fine machines. Glad you made the choice that best suits you.

Geno.