Help!! Potential Paint Damage! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Help!! Potential Paint Damage!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Janet, Jun 25, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ItalianSpeed

ItalianSpeed Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    CA
    Full Name:
    Sam
  2. Janet

Janet Karting

Mar 29, 2004
    Pacific Northwest / Florida
    Full Name:
    Janet
    Yesterday I spoke on the phone to the hotel general manager and while her response was polite her tone was filled with "it is just a car and why would anyone care about their car's paint". I certainly can't ask the hotel to help correct the problem before I know what the fix will be. At this point, and with the opinions I have gathered so far, it looks like I might need a paint job and a wheel refinishing.

Off I go today to take the car to the Porsche dealership (a healthy drive) for them to put eyes on the paint problem and hopefully give me an estimate to correct the damage. I never would have imagined that such a problem was possible.

Wish me luck!! :)

3. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Janet - is there any chance your car was vandalized? Could it have been sprayed with something else/ ie acid/paint remover/etc???

I have washed cars with hard water before, well water, etc. Its just NOT that hard to get the residue off. We are talking hot water, elbow grease, and a 1/2 hour of your time.

Something just doesn't sound right...

4. Janet

Janet Karting

Mar 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    Janet
    I agree with you 100%. If this was simply hard water the problem would have been solved by now and I would have gladly detailed the car and gone on with life. I am a very reasonable person. The suggestion that the spots were caused by hard water was made by a hotel employee.

While the coverage of the damage is consistent with the reach of the sprinkler, and the sprinkler had been on, this is not just a water stain problem and I am baffled.

I will get other opinions today but so far it looks like a full paint job and a new soft top and wheel refinishing. I hope not because I bought this car to enjoy during the nice weather and, living in Washington, the season is short.

Again, wish me luck :)

5. blooney

blooney Rookie

Jun 7, 2005
    Springfield, Mo
    Full Name:
    Brian Looney
    Im confused Janet, did you have a professional detail shop look at it and they said it could not be removed? We have a concourse detail shop here and I have seen some pretty bad paint damage taken care of without a paint job. (color sand, buff and reseal, then wax) You maybe need to get several detail shops opinion and try to get one that handles highline vehicles before you pay for a paint job and a new top etc. Maybe your Porsche dealer will have a reference for you. Very sorry for you and hope for the best.

6. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    LUCK!!

7. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky

8. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I am a little confused here. Everyone is recommending a DETAIL shop for a PAINT problem. I would be going to a PAINT shop to fix the problem. Wet sand with 1000 grit, dual action polish and buff should take normal hard water spots.

The hard part is getting it off of the fabric top and off the rubber mouldings.

This sounds like more than a simple hard water problem anyway.

9. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    You are correct!

Hard water spots don't require a repaint, it's sounding more like vandalism.

10. dhs-9

dhs-9 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    Janet if its vandelism your comprehensive on your policy should cover the repairs. As for the going against the hotel the waiver you signed would need to be reviewed to see the scope of its coverage. Even if the waiver is broad enough to cover your damage I would still contact the home office and talk or write to the highest officer you can get in touch with. They may be willing to work a deal out with you. If not you can try small claims but you will have to live with their monetary limits.

11. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    2000 grit is probably a better choice before polish and buff. 1000 grit is likely overkill, IMO.

12. Janet

Janet Karting

Mar 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    Janet
    After striking out with some local detailers I talked to the service department of the nearest Porsche dealership (Robert Larson's Porsche) and they didn't want to take a look at the problem because it is out of their area of expertise. They referred me to the high end detail shop they use. I called the shop (J M's Detail in Tacoma) and they told the that the damage I described is consistent with phosphorus and calcium deposits from hard water. The shop has not seen my car yet but I have an appointment tomorrow (full day of work) to correct the damage.

I was a bit nervous reading replies here mentioning wet sanding. Now I am told that the detail shop will have to acid wash my car. Acid wash the paint?? (I'm glad I didn't get the spots on me!) After the acid wash they will do the full detail with buffing and clay bar and the works. He sounded confident that they can take care of the damage but, as I said, he has not yet seen the car.

13. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Since you're in the Tacoma area, you might call Griot's Garage and see if owner Richard Griot is around to look at your car. He's quite a wizard at that kind of stuff. (www.griotsgarage.com)

14. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    You are probably right. A dual action polish could be used in lieu of the the sandpaper altogether but hard to tell from where I am standing.:p

15. Janet

Janet Karting

Mar 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    Janet
    I finally got the problem corrected. Yesterday I took the car to JM's Detail Shop in Tacoma, WA. They do all the detailing for the Porsche dealer and had been referred by the dealer.

The detailer looked at the spots and commented that if they had been on the car any longer I would have been in for a complete paint job. The spots were indeed caused by minerals in the sprinkler water.

The car required an acid bath, buffing, clay bar, polishing, waxing, etc. The process was not inexpensive but the car came out beautifully detailed and shiny once again.

I guess that the lesson to be learned is to pay attention to whatever gets onto the car. Had I let this go I would have been out a paint job.

Thank you to everyone for your advice and help in diagnosing and correcting this problem. WHEW! I was lucky!

16. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    Janet,
    Have a lawyer send a letter to the hotel with the pd bill.Don't think they want the adverse publicity.Glad it worked out.

17. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Out a paint job? Somehow, I don't think so.

I've worked on black panels so cloudy, they looked grey.

Everyone he took it to detailers and body shops here in LA also said they had to repaint the panels.

Here's something I did Friday,
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65238

All in all, I'm glad that you were able to get it fixed!

Sunny

18. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Curious why nobody mentioned a simple wipe down with vinegar soaked towels? My black RX7 ended up with some serious calcium spots years ago. A quick hose down to flush away any grit followed by a gallon bottle of white vinegar on 2 clean towels removed any trace of minerals. Followed up with normal wash & wax made it look like new.

Sorry I hadn't checked this thread earlier, but at least your Boxster probably got a nice detail!

19. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    Wow - thx for the heads-up, all from water. Who'd of thought.

Did bring back memories of a Hotel I worked at 20+ years ago, IIRC there was a firm painting out back, and the mist of the paint speckled a few dozen cars parked out back. I don't remember who paid up, but it wasn't the owners of the car - maybe the painters paid the hotel paid the car owners.

Was this a fire sprinkler system or lawn and garden sprinkler system with all the crap in it?