Help to solve oilleak from gearbox | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Help to solve oilleak from gearbox

Discussion in '348/355' started by THL, Mar 8, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. andyw355

andyw355 Karting

Jul 5, 2011
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Finally tackled the job. Amazing how easy a job is with the right tool and an absolute @!$! without! The seal wouldn't come out with the screwdriver, hammer or screws trick. I tried making some tools out of small screwdrivers and thick needles but they bent back when trying to extract the seal. Plan B - buy a proper tool! I bought a set of hooks/picks from an auto parts store as I couldn't find a seal extractor. I pulled it straight out no problems! The new one was tight, I used a piece of metal tube and hammer to tap it in.

Thanks again for the guide mate!! Would be in trouble without this awesome site, hopefully I can contribute something useful one day :)

2. UPAUTO

UPAUTO Rookie

Apr 13, 2011
    Nottingham, U.K
    Full Name:
    Tony Kuo
    Well done :)

3. mr.steve

mr.steve Guest

Apr 6, 2012
    Full Name:
    Ron S
    Yea great job mate, well done :)

4. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    So I replaced my shift shaft seal last weekend. I have a couple of thoughts that may be helpful to those planning to attempt this.

The seal can be a challenge to remove, especially if you don't have a the puller tool (I did not). Although that little donut is rubber on the outside, it is metal on the inside. I quickly realized even a sharp drywall screw was not going to be screwed into it without a pilot hole being drilled.

Using a 5/64" bit, I manuevered the drill in such a way that I was able to make contact with the middle of the seal. BE CAREFUL. The frame crossmember requires an average-sized drill to be angled to avoid it. Starting a hole in a small, rock-hard, oil-soaked seal at an angle is a bit like starting a sprint from a standing start--on ice. If that drill bit slips, you can damage the surrounding aluminum opening. Once started, gently drill the hole until you feel the bit punch through the metal portion of the seal. Once you get the hole drilled, a drywall screw can be used to extract it with very little effort.

To install the new seal I used an O2 sensor socket. I gently tapped it in to seat it, being careful to check that I was not applying any force to the shift shaft (don't want to change gears here). Final seating was done with a medium slot-end screwdriver. Reassemble and you are all done!

5. UPAUTO

UPAUTO Rookie

Apr 13, 2011
    Nottingham, U.K
    Full Name:
    Tony Kuo
    Nice one :) well done :D