Help with annoying rattling noise in my 458S | FerrariChat

Help with annoying rattling noise in my 458S

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Petrolhead#32, Sep 25, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Petrolhead#32

Petrolhead#32 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    I've had this for > a year. It's REALLY annoying, especially when all windows are closed. The interesting thing is that it only shows up at >75 mph. It does NOT rattle when going through bumps. It's 100% linked to speed / wind coming through.

Here's the video I took this morning to share with you all, in case anyone recognizes it. Most noticeable if you use a headset and at 0:40 min. Seems like the noise is bigger under the glove compartment.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mBMJ8mEhchPzWH6p6

BTW, the local Ferrari dealer tried to locate it and they failed miserably.

Help pls!

2. Cesarito17

Cesarito17 Karting

Sep 27, 2021
    Full Name:
    Cesar
    I had one rattling noise, similar to this which only occurred over 65mph. I thought it came from the dash/glove compartment. Took it to the dealer - while one was driving, the mechanic searched for the noise - (it's extremely difficult to find if alone)... They immediately identified it actually came from under the car.. - > The front under car cover was loose, precisely why over 65mph, wind became strong enough to cause the grill rattle.. A little screws tightening and problem solved... Hope this helps..

Petrolhead#32 likes this.
  3. Stams

Stams Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2020
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I don’t know if this will help at all but my Italia had a rattle above 70 mph that sounded like it was coming from behind my head.

Bought the car during 2020 so COVID would not allow me to have a tech in the car to demonstrate it and since it happened above 70 they told me they were not allowed to drive over the limit to hear it.

They told me it could be all kinds of things but they finally used a leaf blower at full thrust thru the front intakes and we’re able to reproduce it and found it was a loose bolt and was tightened after a simple removal of the undertray.

Again, I understand your location is different and I don’t know if they have been able to hear it but I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Petrolhead#32 likes this.
  4. Petrolhead#32

Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    Thx for the feedback. I tried to look under the car but couldn’t find anything myself, as I don’t have a lift.

however, considering your comments that it may be coming from under (vs from the top or the right AC vent), I did locate the area that the noise is coming from. Right next to the battery. See picture.

I drove with the cover opened all the way and the noise is even more noticeable and annoying!

seems like something is loose around that specific area, likely something like you described. I’ll have my local mechanic focus on that.

Thx again.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Rexcat458 and Cesarito17 like this.
  5. 488Longhorn

488Longhorn Rookie

Jan 24, 2021
    Full Name:
    Milo Von Skul
    Did you ever find the source of rattle?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

6. Petrolhead#32

Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    not yet. I’ll get to it one day. Do you have a similar case?