Help with F355 A/C leak | FerrariChat

Help with F355 A/C leak

Discussion in '348/355' started by Ferrariboy, Jun 7, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrariboy

Ferrariboy Rookie

Mar 16, 2009
    Toronto, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Hi All,

Need some advice/help on an A/C issue I'm having with my 1998 F355B. When I bought the car 3 years ago the A/C had just been serviced by Ferrari of Denver (recharged the system as it previously blew warm) a few weeks before I took delivery but the weather turned cold so never tested it. The following spring A/C blew warm so had it recharged by a local independant and was cold as ice for a few days then was warm again. Fast forward to this spring while it was in for a major they checked over the system, changed out the O-rings and recharged again. Blew cold for a few days. Now back to warm. I have read it could be a leaky schrader valve but to be honest no idea where that is to check...do I need to remove frunk liner or can it be accessed from the little screw down carpet panel on passenger side ? any pics of it available ?
    If that valve checks out ok what is next step to solve this issue ?

Thanks

2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    You can charge the system and put UV dye in that can then be traced to a leak. Dye is available at any auto parts store. Or but R134 with the dye in it already which is also readily available.

Sent from my SM-G990U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

GatedF355GTB likes this.
  3. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
  4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Disagree. 1 I hate dye but thats me. Will never ever use it. It makes a huge mess.

Vacuum is a very poor and unreliable test for leaks. Vacuum can and regularly does suck leaks closed. Finding a leak that way is a matter of luck.

Good leak detectors are very sensitive and reliable.

To the OP. Your last shop was lazy to the extreme. Even Stevie Wonder can find a leak that big, probably just by listening to it.

Find a shop that has a clue and mechanics that are not just a waste of air and have it fixed. Its not rocket science. Thousands of AC systems get fixed every day.

INRange likes this.
  5. IvanRico

IvanRico Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2021
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Ivan Rico
    +1 on the use of a leak detector. I used one to find a leak last summer - traced it to a leak around the compressor seal. Well worth the minor investment.

https://www.harborfreight.com/electronic-freon-and-halogen-leak-detector-92514.html

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    take it to an Auto AC pro, they can find the leak in 10 minutes. It will cost you are few hundred.

7. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    Oops. I got mine recharged with dye yesterday. :oops:

8. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Either vacuum or pressure will generally only tell you if there is a leak, not where the leak is.

Fortunately, I've had my car 10 years and the AC hasn't need to be recharged since I got it. :)

Julia likes this.