Help with leaky F1 actuator shift boot | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Help with leaky F1 actuator shift boot

Discussion in '348/355' started by 0.0.1.99, Nov 12, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    The fill line works as long as their is no pressure
    Also wanted to add my car only leaked very little once and it was very little not much more than a weep from a cracked hose.
    Almost 15 years and not a drop otherwise.

2. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    That tube on the actuator has always fascinated me. Whhat does the damn thing do and why is it there?

Topping off the F1 tank only after the system has depressurized makes sense.
    Topping it off prior to that and the letting the accumulator unload will push fluid out the weep hole in the tank cap.

Does that same scenario push fluid out the drain pipe on the actuator?

That actuator is operating at high pressure, what the heck can "drain" out?

Mine had a very small leak once. when I had it on a drive and stayed overnight outside where the OAT went to 25 degrees. Couple of drops were on the ground.

Never done it since.

Like Phrogs, I would love to take one apart, but the humanity of it all!

3. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
  4. Boaf 32

Boaf 32 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2016
    US
    Just to help close out my overflow issue. Took my 355 for a 65 mile drive around town, lots of shifts. Before I left, the overflow was wet. I parked it overnight and checked it this morning. Less Wet, and I suspect will dissipate on subsequent drives. Thanks for all your inputs.

Boaf

5. Boaf 32

Boaf 32 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2016
    US
    So I drove my car several times since we last posted Feb 20, here it is April 22 and put roughly 200 miles on the car and it is still leaking fluid (I am presuming the overflow tube, will have to check). Had a long drip that ran under the car from the overflow (presumably) to the rear of the car on the garage floor. Opened the fluid fill and it is low.

My question, car has sat for a week since I last drove it. Should the fluid leak that much out of the overflow? Now I'm concerned!

Thanks, a very frustrated Boaf!