help with poss Mondial T Cabriolet purchase | FerrariChat

help with poss Mondial T Cabriolet purchase

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Fezzaphil, Jan 24, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fezzaphil

Fezzaphil Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Whats the known issues with the T Cab (Euro version)? I'm familiar with the 328 and 246 but wanting something that could seat 4 people. Is this possible in the cabriolet?

Anything to particularly look for engine wise/body work or the hood?

I know that the engine is shared with the 348 so its an engine out job to change the belts. Any other quirks to look for?

Thanks

2. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Nice choice, the Mondial T is a great car.
    Pros:
    Great power (as you note, same engine as 348)
    Revised dash looks clean and modern
    ABS
    Power Steering
    Revised side intakes (some people think they look cleaner)

Cons:
    More complicated and expensive to service
    I have HEARD the shifter action may not be as precise...not sure.
    Higher purchase cost

A 3.2 seems to me the best value in Mondials, but a nice T is good too.
    Yes, I think you can put a couple of people in the back for short rides.

Good luck.

3. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Great car the Mondial t. You will be very pleased.

I cant think of many faults to watch out for that have not been covered here...

I will echo the fact that the rear seats are useable. They offer more rear seat comfort than my previous Porsche 911's have. It makes for a very smart buy as far as "exotic sportscars" go.

The full Mondial line has lots to offer, but Ferrari really did well by the time they made the Mondial 3.2, and they just plain out did themselfs with the t version.

A few quick "t" notes:

The “t” stood for “transverse” as the transmission is transversely positioned in the chassis - yet the engine is mounted longitudinally near the center of the chassis.

In 1989 Mondial t engine displacement grew to 3.4 liters producing 300 Horsepower.

The “t” engine was set very low in the semi tubular chassis. So low that the engine must implement a “dry sump” lubrication system similar to racing cars - as there is little room for a conventional low oil pan.

Performance can be strong. Zero to sixty MPH = 5.5 seconds – Standing ¼ mile is achieved in 13.9 seconds @ 105 MPH.

The Mondial t is factory equipped with a cockpit adjustable electronic suspension system.

Power assisted steering and anti-lock brakes were standard equipment for the Mondial t – but the spare tire was optional.

The Mondial t series was one of the last models that Enzo Ferrari directed the production of.

Enjoy.

4. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    We couldn't agree more with the comments already submitted. We've been enjoying our '89 Mondial t Coupe for something like 6 months. It has been without issue and a delight to own and drive. A real bonus for us is being able to share the Ferrari experience with friends. It's really not the car for a tight "autocross" course but for touring in the grand style it is hard to beat. Enjoy the search. The result is definitely worth it.

Regards,

John & Carol

5. Fezzaphil

Fezzaphil Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Thanks Guys , thats all pretty positive feedback! I shall take my search a bit mores seriously. Seems a few in the UK market place at present.

I'll keep you informed