Help with research on buying a Cali T | FerrariChat

Help with research on buying a Cali T

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by pingi3, Jun 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    I can no longer drive the Huracan as my fun car as the seat will not work with the metal rods supporting my lower spine now. So I am doing some homework on maybe getting a Cali T. I already have a convertible but I want another one as my fun car. My Huracan is a spider as well.
    So I found one but it does not haver the "handling" package. Does this feature make that big of a difference? This one I found is super clean.
    And is it worth paying $6500 for 2 years CPO warranty? Is the Cali T known to be pretty reliable? I paid a ton for my Drophead CPO warranty and honestly I have not used it but just once to replace a window and door regulator. No where close to making up dollar to dollar. But I know the cost is more for that piece of mind.

And is the exhaust that bad. When I say bad, I mean do you not get the smile on your face from what a Fcar should sound like? I had 2 360's and I remember the exhaust experience and not the speed. Plus I am 48 now and speed is not that important anymore.

Thanks guys.

2. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Do a search on F-Chat for "Handling Speciale" and you will get a range of opinions regarding how important it is for resale value, etc. We have it as a $7000 option on our Cali 30 and have enjoyed a smooth ride on bumpy Illinois roads. I'd suggest you read the posts and decide for yourself.

3. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    What year is the car? Right now most dealers will either include 2 years for free or at half price, which would be about $4500.

The Handling Speciale package might be too stiff for you if you have back problems ... the "comfort" setting will be about the same as the "sport" setting on the non HS car. On the non HS car you can have the car in Sport mode and have the shocks softer in "bumpy road" mode which is noticeably smoother.

The exhaust on the Cali T is deeper in pitch than it is on the normally aspirated California, but it still sounds good. The exhaust on the Speciale is deeper still, and a bit louder, with more pops and burbles. You can add the HS exhaust to any Cali T, it's just changing out the mufflers, and I believe the HS variety is made by Tubi.

But overall, yes, when you get on the car, it will sound good either way.

4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Sorry to hear of your spine issues. If you haven't, I would advise an extended test drive to make sure the Cali is comfortable for the type and length of driving you plan on doing. I have a bad back and arthritic hips and shoulder, and my Cali - '11, so not a T - is not the most comfortable after about 2 hours in the driver's seat. As much as I hate to admit it, the more upright seating position of a pickup truck is the most comfortable for long drives. Definitely make sure you get one with seat heaters. Good luck...T

5. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    It is a 2016. I plan on going back tomorrow or Saturday to do a longer test drive. And this time I hope it is not raining.

6. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    #6 pingi3, Jun 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Right before Christmas last year, I took my two kids and wife and drove from Atlanta to Catskill Mtns. Then Manahatton and then DC before heading home. I took my Raptor. When I got home, I wanted to keep driving. So I agree with you, trucks are so good these days, they make great road trip vehicles.

And hope to do a extended test drive soon.