Here comes the revolution Alonso style. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Here comes the revolution Alonso style.

Discussion in 'F1' started by william, Jun 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Pretty much. Just needs at least one Daytona 24 Hour win, too...

2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    There is no hate in giving an opinion and stating facts to support it.

3. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    More Racing - more variety of racing - often makes better racedrivers. It's not done in modern times mainly because of stifling corporate contracts. You basically have to be a driver of Alonso's stature to have the clout to make it happen.

4. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Wow, no need for me to comment on this further.

5. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    McLaren's boss, Zak Brown, thought he had nothing to lose by allowing Alonso to drive in another series, so he lifted any restriction; that's why it happened..
    If Alonso was really in the hunt for the title, and driving for Ferrari, Mercedes or Red Bull, this would never have occurred.
    Could you imagine Ferrari releasing Vettel in the middle of the F1 season to race a Dalarra at Indianapolis?
    Or Mercedes telling Hamilton it's okay to drive for Toyota at Le Mans? Never

So, in one way, McLaren letting their driver to indulge in self-promotion at Indy or Le Mans more an indictment on the situation of the team than anything else.

6. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I agree that if Alonso was in a title fight, he wouldn't be able to indulge in other series - and I don't think he'd want to either.

I suspect that allowing Alonso this freedom is the only thing that's keeping him from throwing in the towel at McLaren. I think he commands the big salary because he can, but it's not a motivating factor for him. He's a champion and still wants to win. Maybe he's learned from past mistakes with team politics, but we've not really found out because he's under a lot less scrutiny in an uncompetitive car.

All the best,
    Andrew.

jgonzalesm6 and william like this.
  7. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    When do you suppose he learned this life lesson? In the first few races of this year? He was badmouthing Honda last season.

Far more likely that he is getting his way so he’s behaving...

for the moment.

8. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Everyone had been bad-mouthing Honda. It is only now that McLaren are uncompetitive with a Renault engine (so much for McLaren touting they have the best chassis on the grid :rolleyes:) that it looks like Honda were only part of the unbalanced reliability and performance equations.

Perhaps it's because he's not in a title fight, but he has looked less stressed in recent years. As I said, he's not at the high stakes end of the grid, so we don't really know.

All the best,
    Andrew.

9. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    I guess I’ve always been surprised how much love Alonso gets on a Ferrari board given his history of involvement with spygate. Then when he came to drive for Ferrari frankly he accomplished very little except for complaining and bringing down morale, which has been his M.O.

Ferrari 308 GTB likes this.
  10. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Nando ,it's time to bow out of F1,don't let the door hit you on the way out...

11. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Unless a seat opens up at Mercedes/Ferrari/Red Bull (latter extremely unlikely), he has zero to gain by staying in F1.
    Indy however...

12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

In F1, I cannot see any team considering hiring him.

I suppose Alonso is interested in the star event: Indy 500. I am not too sure about the rest of the IRL calendar.

But we have yet to see if he can emulate Nigel Mansell, and take the championship in his first year in the US (CART then).