Here's a pic of me pulling the engine out of my 612 yesterday! | Page 14 | FerrariChat

Here's a pic of me pulling the engine out of my 612 yesterday!

Discussion in '612/599' started by trygve11, Jul 4, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Actually, Good for you. Most would have assumed the machine shop would have done the perfect job. You checked before completing the install then fail smog and start scratching your head as to why something is wrong. One thing I learn a long time ago in business is to check your vendors. Trust but verify!

2. kens

kens Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    My own summary, Ferrari ownership adds extreme emotions. We get the highs and lows, with fewer average days.

Keep up the good work Jason.

3. Smart4400

Smart4400 Rookie

Jan 14, 2014
    Hang in there Jason... When you get to drive her all the trouble will very soon be forgotten.... These v12s are amazing cars.... Best of luck the 3rd and *FINAL* time around...

4. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    Thanks guys.... my machinist is (again) going through the head. He concedes the two intake valves show slight bend (but was able to machine this out). I am sending him new valves anyway.

It is strange because the other five cylinders definitely showed some leakage through the valves on the leakdown (as evidenced by blowing off tape applied to the intake and exhaust ports). But when I removed the head, and sprayed brake cleaner into the ports, the valves showed no leakage. Obviously the brake cleaner isn't applying a lot of pressure, but still. Also, my compression check prior to the one cylinder of bent valves showed 190 PSi compression on these same cylinders and valves.

My machinist says the valve seats wear in and provide a better seal over time. I (instead) have requested the "good seal" NOW (via lapping the valves) so I can stop screwing around with this crap!

So, weekend after next will be my next opportunity to put on the head (again). Will then take it from there!

5. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Awesome thread and great work even though you had a minor set back. Mistakes are all part of life and good learning. Don't let the Internet experts bring you down with 20/20 hind sight. Those same posters don't have any threads like this showing the fantastic work you have done.

Great job!!

6. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    I just found this thread! Very cool! I'm looking forward to the next installment. I love the colors on your 612.

7. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    Alright guys, I am back at it!

I got the head back last week and the #6 cylinder now has all four new valves. Rest were also re-inspected and lapped. I installed the head (no cams yet, just bolted down with gasket). Did leakdown. Voila! It is a GO!

So, will be back to the shop today to build up the timing system. Will be VERY careful this time to not rotate a cam into the valves and risk bending them (when tightening the cam wheels). My approach is going to be to lower the pistons an inch below TDC on all cylinders on the right hand bank. Then lay in cams and get them into the right position. Then bring the pistons up into proper position, then lay on belt and tension, then lower pistons again below TDC, then apply final cam sprocket torque with the belt in place and pistons down out of the way!

Any other thoughts? I hope to start her again before Jan 5th.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.

- Jason

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jason- Great news. You should be making V12 noises soon.

9. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    Thanks Taz.

I got the cams in and all the timing and tensioning set today! I used the exact procedure I outlined and it went very smoothly.

I think (hope) it is all downhill from here. Valve covers, plugs, coil packs, exhaust manifolds, upper plenum and "start"!

I may choose to do a full compression on the RHS head I just installed just to make sure before going any further.

Got lazy and didn't take pics today but the proof will be in the next start video!

10. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Sounds like a good idea.
    Pete

11. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    Merry Christmas!

I think I am going crazy. Perhaps I have more to learn...

I installed the head (again) with no cams in (so valves all shut). Then did a leakdown. All was good (way within the "green range" on my tester.

Then I timed the engine to the procedure I noted above. There is absolutely no way any valve contacted a piston. Then did a leakdown test and each cylinder on the RHS fails.

What is going on here? Do I need to run the engine in to seat the valves? Or do my tappets need to be run to get to the proper length? Could they be extended too far right now and keeping the valves open??

I may do compression test next. Or measure between cam lobes and tappets to ensure I have a "gap" when the cylinder is at TDC compression stroke. Last resort is pulling cams and testing the leakdown again with the cams out (again).

Any thoughts? I need to talk to my machinist again but the drivers side is perfect and that head was done by the same guy (and has seen 30 minutes of running in). Is this guy right about having to run in the valves and tappets?

12. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    This can't happen! What is your leak procedure with cams in? #1TDC valves closed leak failed? #2TDC valves closed leak failed? etc? Double darn sure the seal is good on your tester connections to the head? You can only loose air at the intake valves and you can see that if the manifold is off. Or the exhaust valves you might be able to hear down by headers or easy if headers off. Or at the piston rings you might be able to hear that if the pan is off. But if you passed leak with cams out the leak has to be in the valves. The only thing I can think of is your cam install. I install #1 at TDC and cam on marks progressively adding caps with just a couple turns on the cap nuts to squeeze the cam home. Motor #1 at TDC and all assembly marks in line you can't bend valves. That has worked for me 30+ years and the way I was taught by an FNA mechanic working side by side.

I have found that my 550 intake valves seal so well carb cleaner will sit in the bowls overnight and not leak out! If the valve covers are already on a quick way to see if the tappets are doing something weird is to, on each cylinder, go to TDC with valves closed and spray some carb cleaner in the bowl. If it stays there without leaking through you can be certain the tappets are not holding a valve open at least on the intake side.

It is not something silly like you are not at TDC in compression valves closed for the leak test? Two crank rotations to 1 camshaft rotation. Sometimes we are more tired that we think.

13. speedsterr

speedsterr Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2013
    I just found this thread. Seems interesting until it seemed to get above your head. Though aFord mechanic and working on ferrari's? Would probably be more interesting if this was an FGT.

Interested to find out how you fix your dilemma.

14. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    Sorry to get defensive but I am not "over my head". I've made 3 mistakes in 30 years of working on cars. I am just honest enough to admit to this group I made one of those mistakes on this car when I over-rotated the cam into the #6 piston and bent the valves on that cylinder.

I've done dozens of rebuilds and repaired hundreds of cars. No one knows everything but I know a lot. I come to others for ideas on issues that don't make sense. This leakdown issue is one of those things... So, that being said, let's get back to the topic at hand.

Again, I had the four valves on #6 replaced and the rest of the head re-checked. Before installing the head, I sprayed brake cleaner in all the ports and checked for any leakage. All nicely sealed.

I then installed the head (with #1 piston backed down from TDC by about and inch which means #6 down from TDC about an inch too). I leakdown tested the head on the motor prior to putting in the cams. Every cylinder was great. I then installed the cams as close to the "marks" as you can get them when you tighten them down, rotated them slightly to then align the marks, then rotated the motor forward the 30 degrees to bring #1 piston at TDC, put on the belt and pulleys, tensioned it, and was done with timing. Rotated the motor a couple times and then checked leakdown at each cylinder. Now the values are bad. So, since I know I didn't contact any valves in this procedure, I have one of a finiste number of things going on:

(1) the valves require being run in to fully "polish" the seats and give me a strong seal. And though they sealed on vacuum test for the machinist and on bench for me with brake fluid, etc., they were opened a few times while rotating the motor after timing it this last time and aren't quite sealing perfectly until being "run in".

(2) my machinist sucks and screwed up the valve job. However, this guy has been doing this kind of work for 40 years and also did the driver's side head which is holding great pressure on leakdown (though it was run-in for 30 minutes when I initially started and ran the car with the one bad cylinder). So whatever approach he used on the drivers head, he would have used on the passenger head.

(3) the tappets are elongated and need to be "run in" to get to the proper length and dimension and are "over-extended" and holding the valves open slightly.

BTW, the valve cover is still off the passenger side head so I have perfect cam visibility. The cams were installed in the proper locations. Leakdown loss is definitely past the valves and (and typical piston ring losses).

Proposed course of action:

(1) do a compression check. I will need to hook up the oil cooler so oil doesn't go everywhere, but I could run this test and see what it proposes. Plus it make cycle the tappets and valves adequately to get them to seat. I plan to do this with the valve cover still off (or lightly placed with no gasket. Then perform another leakdown test.

(2) bring each cylinder to TDC compression stroke and spray brake cleaner into the intakes and see if it holds. If so, move forward. If not, remove cams and see if the valves then seat. If they do, I have a cam or tappet issue.

Some more context: I've read that tappets can be over extended until they get run in. This confused me a bit but the above tests can isolate. I know my machinist (like most) doesn't lap the valves after the valve job. He says you need to run them in. Many I have talked to have said this makes no sense. I've read conflicting reports. I've also had this guy do dozens of valve jobs for me on other cars and had no problems. There is nothing special about the Ferrari head and he had all the workshop dimensions, etc. Also, like I said the driver's side head is perfect and showing great leakdown performance. Now I never checked leakdown before "running that head in" but it was done by same guy and is performing great. Makes me wonder if this "run in" need and tappet thing could be legit?

Thanks for following...

15. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Soooooo, you don't own a Ferrari, you don't want a Ferrari, and your qualifications are what exactly?

16. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    You will get it running and it will be worth it.

17. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Jason, I'm thinking three possibilities:

1. Your machinist set the valve stem tip heights too high? Or didn't reset them after the valve job? (But why only one head?)

2. The lifters are empty of oil, so are fully extended? (Although I wouldn't think the spring in the lifter would be strong enough to overcome the main valve springs?)

3. Is there any chance your cams have become mixed up? (Although if this were so, the driver's head shouldn't have checked good.)

18. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    #1 seems possible. I never trust engine builders. Too many awesome guys have build motors that my race friends blow up in the first race.

#2 Unlikely because I agree with lifter spring being too weak to hold open under valve spring pressure

OP...I don't know your name. Can you spin the lifter buckets when on the base circle? That would mean error #1 not possible.

19. radlu

radlu Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
    I love this thread.

20. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Was the crankshaft pulley installed when rotating the crank, and fully tightened before rotating the crank? If not, the gear on the crank can slide on the crank and mess up timing because of the gear teeth angle. I am not sure if this effect is big enough to cause valve contact though.
    Another thought, is it completely ruled out that inlet and exhaust cams were not accidentally switched?
    Wishing you all the best of luck, you will get it right.

21. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    Thanks for the responses guys.

(1) The camshafts are absolutely in the right position (intake vs exhaust side).

(2) i can spin the lifter buckets by hand, underneath each cam lobe, when that cylinder is at TDC on its compression stroke. This would indicate to me that the valve should be fully closed but I had a ex Ferrari builder tell me that it may still be carrying pressure to the valve.

(3) The machinist said he checked the valve heights after the seats and valves were machined. I will double check with him.

Is the notion that the valves need to be "run in" feasible? I've read somewhere that Serdi cut valve jobs (for example) need to be run-in to get full seal. Perhaps I need to borrow the machine shops vacuum checker and put it back on the ports and check. Perhaps that seat has minor stone or cut marks which get fully smoothed upon running the motor?

Also, to clarify for anyone catching up on this long saga, both heads had the valve jobs but I had to pull the passenger side to have it re-worked as I screwed up on initial assembly and rotated the exhaust valves into the #6 piston when tightening the cam wheel. This is where this whole saga got deeper.

Does anyone think there is any merit to the notion that running in the engine is necessary to have the valve reach full sealing? Also, should I proceed with the compression check and go from there?

22. Flint Ironstag

Flint Ironstag Karting

Jun 30, 2013
    Houston, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Harris
    Trygve11, I truly wish I had some technical input. Alas, all I can offer is encouragement. This has been an awesome thread. No doubt you'll get it sorted soon. Can't wait to see you driving it!

23. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    Thanks Flint (and others)! I will get it figured out. My hypothesis is that it is all fine. I think I need to get oil pumping it, lubing the valve guides and a few hundreds taps on the seats to allow the valves to find true center and seal as they are cycled. I will keep everyone posted.

I can't imagine that I repeated any errors on the timing this puppy. I don't make the same (or similar) mistake twice!

Merry Christmas to all!

- Jason

24. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Reads to me like the cams are not permitting the valves to fully close.

Are you able to measure the height of the top of the cam followers/buckets with the cams removed and then compare to when the cams are installed and the valves should be closed. Of course should be the same, but if not something is not right, like valve stems too tall for cam base circle?

I personally would not run the engine has valves not seating will get not very quickly and with cams out they sealed so something is not right.
    Pete
    by the way: were your heads skimmed? Are they now the same height? Maybe this head was skimmed more and your machinist is using the same valve length for both heads but this one needs them to be shorter?

25. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    Heads not skimmed or machined.

I will do a compression check and move on from there.