Here's a pic of me pulling the engine out of my 612 yesterday! | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Here's a pic of me pulling the engine out of my 612 yesterday!

Discussion in '612/599' started by trygve11, Jul 4, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    What a fascinating thread. I am so envious of you guys who can fix their own cars! I can do nothing but drive them! Great job man!!

2. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    #102 trygve11, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Lots more progress today.

1st pic is just to show the liner that was pulled out and replaced on the block (I hadn't shown that before).

The others show what I accomplished today so far. I finished repairing the minor pitting on the block gasket surfaces I noted earlier.

Then set out to install the micropolished crank and new main bearings.

I plastigauged everything to ensure all the clearances were good. They were perfect! 0.0015". The axial play was also right at the minimum spec (which means room to wear). 0.1mm

The pictures show the progression, ultimately ending with the crank 100% installed in the block and all torqued in and assembly lubed.

Next the pistons go in (tomorrow). Since I only have 10 (2 more on order) I can only get that far before my next Eurospares order arrives! Then the rest of the engine goes together!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Is there no need to dynamically balance the crank, pistons and rods?

4. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    No, there is no need and it is not part of the OEM or repair process. Each engine piece is precision weighted. The rods are all matched sets (within a very tight weight tolerance). The pistons are also carefully manufactured for consistency.

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Lot more tolerance for weight on an I6 or V12 than on a cross-plane V8, too.

Coming along beautifully.

6. chouch

chouch Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2008
    I will also echo what the others said.
    Great thread, great skills and a big thanks for taking the time to share that with us.

7. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    #107 trygve11, Sep 5, 2014
    Today's progress...

Started with a cranked block. Started inserting pistons and rods. Plasti-gaging and connecting to crank. Put the one new piston in that I have in hand but could not finish the job as still waiting on 2 pistons to arrive.

So... right now, if you look carefully at the last pic you will see I have a V8 Ferrari in a V12 block! Would be better for gas mileage I suppose...

My Eurospares order won't get in until late next week so the engine reassembly will sit silent for a week. I will finish a few bits on the interior but the major push will start back in another week.

Cheers!

8. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    Gee... I'm a bit surprised to see that the main bearing caps have only two bolts. I guess I'm too used to looking at American iron...

9. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    That just means fewer nuts and bolts for me to torque and plasti-gage! I will take it!

I am seriously getting to the point where I just really want to drive this car! I got it now about 2.5 months ago. At least I am now seeing the "re-assembly" side of the project!

I drive two Alfas and a '07 F1 Maserati QP (with lots of similar DNA to the 612) but I can't tell you how excited I am to get this car done and driveable! I think I am going to love it!

Feels like work now, but this is a car I will likely keep forever. Too much time and bloody knuckles into it to consider selling.

:)

10. blazing928s4

blazing928s4 Rookie

Mar 8, 2013
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Nigel H-A
    Brilliant, thanks for sharing

11. Gated

Gated Formula 3

Dec 21, 2009
    I assume it's because the stresses are divided across 12 pistons/rods as opposed to 8 for similar displacement in some american iron?

12. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Old Pontiac big blocks usually had two bolt mains because they were beefy where Chevy had four bolt main caps on performance motors because they were smaller. I'm no ferrari mechanic, but I'm pretty sure generally that the pistons are smallish? Cylinder for cylinder, relatively low torque? Doesn't surprise me really that they don't need four bolt main caps.

13. carcommander

carcommander Formula 3

Sep 28, 2006
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Look like forged rods with all radiused edges. Main bearing caps are big.

14. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    #114 trygve11, Sep 16, 2014
    OK, FINALLY, some more progress!

My parts arrived today. So the 2 other pistons plus lots of other stuff. I finished putting the other four pistons and rods in the motor, so it is now a V-12!

Pics show cleaning of sump, $800 of new connecting rod bolts (gotta hate torque to yield bolts), and the engine as a V-12. Then showing sump and assemblies starting to be put together on the motor.

Tomorrow I will finish the front and likely get the heads on! That's a really big deal. I am getting pumped. Engine should go back in next week.

15. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Very impressive. Look forward to seeing more.

16. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    You need an engine stand mate.

I'm also curious if we have confirmed the new pistons weigh the same as the old ones ...
    Pete

17. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    wow trygve, you're admirable for your dedication. Yeah, if someone is so into mechanics as u, Ferrari maintenance is definitely not a problem, lol.

18. kens

kens Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    I will have to invite myself over!

19. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    As far as an engine stand, yes, I have one. But no way this engine can mount up to it without a lot of custom fabrication of mounting brackets. As such, I am ruining my back!

20. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    I this and threads like this. Learn so much and all goes to my qualification as an armchair mechanic! I remember reading the Tom Yang site back around 99 onwards and it just sucked me in. Since then I've really grown to love car mechanics to the point where earlier this year I bought my own Ferrari V12 requiring a refresh/minor restoration. I hope one day to be knowledgable and brave enough to take a project like this on.

21. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
  22. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE
    Massive respect for tackling this build, and thanks for documenting the process along the way. Can't wait to see pictures of it completed.

23. Doc458

Doc458 Karting

Aug 7, 2012
    +1

Cheers,

24. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I really you video the first time you turn turn her over. I would like to hear that beauty roar back to life.