Hex size of 550 gearbox filler plug? | FerrariChat

Hex size of 550 gearbox filler plug?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by JimEakin, Dec 9, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    My set of hex drivers goes up to 10 mm, which works for the 550 gearbox drain plug. What size hex driver is needed for the filler plug?

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    17mm allen? I can't remember....use some calipers and see if I am close. If I am then it is 17mm

3. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    #3 Dave rocks, Dec 9, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    EDIT - incorrect info - sorry.

4. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hmm.. I have 14 mm which is too large. I'm thinking 12 mm but I need to order something online, none of the local stores has anything larger than 10 mm.

This is the Allen wrench needed for the fill plug/dipstick on the rear of the gearbox.

Attached Files:

5. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Sorry, Jim - I was mixing this up with another application. Have you tried Harbor Freight?

6. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Yes, but I only checked them online. There is a local store, I can stop by today. But is 12 mm correct size? If not available locally I'd like to be sure I order the right size online.

7. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Jim, I just had a look thru the WSM which I really did not expect to find it and it's not there. I think it's a pretty safe bet that it's a 12mm as I compared the size from the photo to that of a 355. Honestly, I would just purchase a full set - you will need the others at some point. Sorry I'm not providing exact answers. Taz or someone else will likely chime in.

8. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Thanks, Dave.
    I went to the auto parts store just just now to return an item and it turns out they had a hex bit set with 12, 14, and 17 mm. (Same store I called yesterday, when they said they didn't have this.) Seems like no one makes 11 mm or 13 mm, so it must be 12. I'll find out by this weekend.

9. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I forgot to use calipers before I took the car down.

10. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    JimEakin likes this.
  11. dersark_painclinic

dersark_painclinic Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    12 mm is the correct size

12. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    It is 12mm. Harbor Freight has a 1/2" drive set that goes from 10mm to 17mm for under $20 (with lifetime guaranty!). I made a 3/8" 12mm allen by welding a piece of a 12mm allen wrench into a 12mm socket. If you are in a pinch you don't even have to weld it.
    The oil drain plugs on some of the Ferrari's are 19mm allens, which I haven't gotten around to buying. I went to a good local fastener store and they had a long nut with a 19mm outer hex. I just put this in a short 19mm 1/2" drive socket and it works great.

13. franschman

franschman Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Now that the gearbox is drained, what's the most convenient way to get new oil in? Not much room to play with cans and hoses!

14. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
  15. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I got an inexpensive pump/hose kit from my local auto parts store. Don't know what you have available in Europe, though.
    You put one hose in the oil bottle and the other hose up into the fill hole. Pretty easy to do, I've done this so far on my Corvette. On the 4th 1 quart (liter?) bottle, you will need to check with the dipstick whether it is full. I also understand that you need to go drive the car to warm up the gearbox, then check the level again.