High Mile 2011 Would You Have Fears? | FerrariChat

High Mile 2011 Would You Have Fears?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by russellmcg, Jun 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. russellmcg

russellmcg Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
  2. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    I'd have ZERO fears, if the maintenence history is complete. No reason that car won't take you well beyond 100k miles. The warranty will allow some peace of mind for the unknown.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

3. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire

Attached Files:

4. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Try to get more detailed some repairs are cryptic: body? Paint? What did they actually do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    Yeah, I am asking them for a bit more detail on it.

My big concern was if something major goes out like the DCT or the top, but with the warranty, it sounds like that is covered. Anything else major on the 2011's that I should be concerned with?

6. Natkingcolebasket69

DCT should be covered indeed. California was a pretty solid car but I’m not a Cali expert

7. Mohamed Haider

Mar 21, 2020
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Mohamed Haider
    I bought one with 33k miles about 11 weeks ago. Driving it at least 2-3 days per week - zero issues or concerns. It is an easy daily driver

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  8. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    That's awesome to hear! Sounds like these are actually pretty solid cars. I would be looking to daily drive mine although I work from home and drive very few miles a day.

Mohamed Haider likes this.
  9. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    That's not a Cali 30. California 30's were produced with model years of 2013 and 2014. There were possibly a FEW that were late 2012 cars but the model run had already changed. Confused because you said you had your heart set on getting a Cali 30.

10. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    The 30 is what I was initially looking at due to my fears of the problems the older models had. When I saw this one pop up and found out that I could get a warranty on it, that took away a good bit of the fears I had. For me, the only reason I wanted the 30 was hearing that they had fewer mechanical issues.

11. Mohamed Haider

Mar 21, 2020
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Mohamed Haider
    I work from home too but find excuses to get out

12. Mohamed Haider

Mar 21, 2020
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Mohamed Haider
    It may only come with a one year warranty. I bought a second year Ferrari power warranty at the time of purchase. Worst case if I sell it after a year the next owner with have piece of mind that he gets a one year Ferrari power warranty with the car.

13. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Something about the Carfax report doesn't look right. So, the car, when new, was purchased at a Porsche dealership? And it was never seen or serviced at a Ferrari Dealership? Maybe I'm missing something here. Compare the report with that of the Nero/ nero 2013 and you will see the difference. Note that Carfax records are not always complete. You need to get more info from the dealer.

14. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    what does "repair order purged from system" mean? And no history prior to 11k miles?
    That's odd, to me. But I'm not the expert. there may be some reasonable explanations.

15. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    Where do you see that at? I might be overlooking it.

jag-oo-r likes this.
  16. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Hmm. Ignore me; I misread it. there are indeed 3 lines at the bottom of the report "repair order purged from system", but I was reading the wrong column for mileage.

17. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    You didn't mention your budget. Have you also considered operating expenses, annual maintenance (i.e. oil changes) storage fees if any, and a repair fund for items not covered under the warranty? If you're located in a climate where you intend to drive when the temp is below 45 degrees you will need winter tires. Note that a California is a computer with a beautiful car wrapped around it. When not being driven, it needs to be on a battery tender 24/7.

SAFE4NOW and tomc like this.
  18. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    Yeah, have taken some of that into consideration. I live in Houston and currently drive a Tesla, so keeping a car plugged in is not that big of an issue for me. I have had cars that were expensive to operate in the past (Range Rover, Maserati, Mercedes, Jaguar... oh how the Jag was expensive) so not super concerned on that part. Unless there are some major ones that maybe I am missing.

Does anyone have a good break down of cost on services?

19. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    I've owned a lot of cars (not that it's a contest.... but i win ;-) ) and one of my jaguars still holds the distinction of "most-expensive-per-mile" of any. And one of my Mercedes is the opposite: cheapest per mile.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

20. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    I feel you. I had two different Jaguars in my life, and one of them was a nonstop money pit. If something could break on it, it did. I had bought it when I was a bit younger and remember seeing a Sting video with him driving in one. It made me go out and buy it which is odd since I was not a Sting fan. :-D

21. Stercrazy

Stercrazy Karting

Sep 29, 2017
    NC and FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Winchester
    I’ve put 18000 mi on my 2011 that I bought 2 1/2 years ago for a total of almost 39000 mi.
    Always on a tender, driven regularly, always with a warranty. Had one warranty issue, window motor had a stripped gear.
    I drive it 45 min or an hour every time I drive it. Have made several 1200 mi round trips to FL in it with no trouble.
    Ferrari supplied tender is worthless, get a CTek 5 amp.
    Oil changes and regular maintenance items are much more than normal vehicles. But so is the fun factor.
    Enjoy the car.

22. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    LoL... nothing " cryptic " about it... see along the top of the print out, this is a summary service history only , a genuine buyer can come in and would have access to as detailed history as is available.

When purchased through a Ferrari Dealership, a buyer has the option of purchasing it as a CPO car, which would come with 2 years of New Power Warranty for the price of 1.
    I agree with you, having a factory backed warranty not only gives you piece of mind, but also if sold , gives the buyer the confidence that the previous owner had the ability to take care of problems as they came up vs deferring to the next owner.

Right, CarFax is inaccurate more than I have found it to be correct but it does give a buyer a starting point for discussion.

Ferrari Dealership Annual fluid & filter service from the OP attached summary history :

12/13/12 8,003 miles
    10/25/13 11.954 miles
    1/15/15 16,091 miles
    7/4/16 21,292 miles
    1/31/18 28,430 miles
    2/13/19 32,414 miles
    4/20,20 37,890 miles

Can't get much more routine than that!

This most often happens when a Service department changed from one operating system to another ( ADP to Reynolds & Reynolds for example ) The hard copies could be in archive though.

Hope this helps,

Steve

23. Natkingcolebasket69

Even that you are not allowed to give the full detailed. For my FF Ferrari if Fort Lauderdale refused to give me more then 1 liners, Algar for my Testarossa gave me everything once I showed registration.

24. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    If you're serious about the car, email Steve Fordham about the service history, assuming you have not done so already. He's a straight shooter.
    T
    Edit - Steve beat me to the punch! Lol

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  25. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    Yep, already been talking with him, and he has been a massive help!

I am actually heading up to Plano tonight for an appointment to see the car tomorrow. Hopefully (fingers crossed) everything works out, and I will be able to drive it home.