Wanted - High-Mileage / Entry-Level, Manual F-Car (456, 550, etc.) | FerrariChat

Wanted High-Mileage / Entry-Level, Manual F-Car (456, 550, etc.)

Discussion in 'Ferraris' started by gomezoscar, Nov 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gomezoscar

gomezoscar Rookie

Jul 23, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Hi,

I'm new to FerrariChat, but serious car enthusiast with plenty of sports car experience.

I'm looking for a driver Ferrari that's been loved and serviced - ready to put more miles on it! Hoping to buy something at the bottom of the depreciation curve.

Strong preference for manual cars and clean titles. Some preference for cars that don't require engine-out service.

Located in Los Angeles - please DM me your car leads, thanks!

2. Kokose7en

Kokose7en Karting

Dec 5, 2019
    SF Bay Area
  3. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    you should probably list your budget so you don't waste time...even a 550 entry level beat car will be over $110-$120k

eskamobob1 likes this.
  4. gomezoscar

gomezoscar Rookie

Jul 23, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I'd prefer to say that I'm willing to pay commensurate with the vehicle, that way we don't anchor a price before understanding the car. Worst case scenario, if it's more money than I'm looking to spend, maybe someone else on here will find the perfect car for them!

5. dr_rob

dr_rob Karting

Oct 8, 2008
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Disclosure - I have one.

Don't write off the 456M GTA. If the Ferrari is going to be the only sports/GT car, then you might be underwhelmed by the auto. However, if like me, you have other 3-pedal cars in your garage, then it makes for a tempting proposition.

Pros - you get into a V12 Ferrari at what looks like the bottom of the depreciation curve, the auto box is very drive-able (especially in LA traffic), and once you're on an open road you forget that you're in an auto. My kids fit in the back no issues, so for us it's the family weekend car - think Napa, Monterey, etc. Great community of fellow enthusiasts on here who know the cars inside-out. I personally love the understated appeal - if you know, you know.

Cons - it'll never be worth what the comparative manual goes for, and if you are looking for the true gated experience then you'll probably be left wanting. Also a 'cheap' Ferrari will leave you with expensive repairs, so as always do your due diligence. The 456s have a few things to watch out for, but I found a lot of help in the forums here when I was doing my search.

Best of luck in your search, go out and look at lots, and I hope you find 'the one'.

6. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    There is nothing as expensive as a cheap Ferrari!:(

7. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    yudkib, George Vosburgh and JSinNOLA like this.
  8. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Not wood but run….

A Mondial is a great car. In Cab form. Well sorted. Even a Mondial is exceptional expensive to get right when off even a little. And it is an engine out service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I'd say that the reflection of a wall with paneling or texture reflecting off of the headlight cover.

phrogs likes this.
  10. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    You may be right, sure looks like a piece of Doug Fir!

technom3 likes this.
  11. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    That is not a block of wood. It is an environmentally approved aftermarket replacement headlight reinforcement kit.

Feel better knowing this? :D

Il Tifoso and alex like this.
  12. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    Tough to go wrong with a 328. Great styling. Dependable (by '80s Ferrari standards). And relatively easy to service for a competent diy'er.

13. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    YES!

Turbopanzer likes this.
  14. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    I love happy faces! :D

15. Davidspop

Davidspop Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lance Malcolm
    Define "high miles"?

16. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    So much more info is needed so you don't waste OUR time:

Budget
    What model years would be acceptable
    Maintenance expectations in $$$
    Would you accept a car that hasa clean title but has been in an accident
    Usage type
    Would you accept a single clutch transmission (I wouldn't for example)
    HP desired
    Your car history
    Your knowledge of the brand

eskamobob1 likes this.
  17. gomezoscar

gomezoscar Rookie

Jul 23, 2016
    Los Angeles
    #17 gomezoscar, Dec 1, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
    Ok so, I've had air cooled Porsches, Aston Martins, and pretty much anything else German or British at this point. I'm familiar with service costs, I just don't want $15k engine-outs every 3 or 5 years. I want a car that's been enjoyed and serviced responsibly by prior owners.

I'd consider an 80s Ferrari, but they don't do much for me personally. I love 355's and think 348's are cool, but imagine I'd get as much pleasure from a 550 or 456 with less service requirement.

@Shark01 I am about as familiar with the brand as one can be without having owned or raced a Ferrari. Not interested in an F1 or auto trans.

I am financially flexible and a cash buyer - not solving toward a budget frankly at all, even though this sounds like a budget thread for yet another first-time Ferrari buyer. It's not, I buy a few cars per year.

By high mileage, I mean above 50k miles and I frankly wouldn't mind a 200k mile car if such a thing existed if it were properly loved along the way. Buying to drive and enjoy!

Drae likes this.
  18. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    With all due respect, you said "I'm familiar with service costs, I just don't want $15k engine-outs every 3 or 5 years". Do you not plan on properly servicing a car that you would like to buy that has been properly serviced? Splain please.

eskamobob1 likes this.
  19. gomezoscar

gomezoscar Rookie

Jul 23, 2016
    Los Angeles
    @PeterS I am diligent at properly servicing all my cars on time with OEM or better parts and marque experts, hence why I value well-maintained cars over cars with lower mileage - it's the pattern of ownership I aim to continue - driving, maintaining, and enjoying! Hence why I'm also cognizant of which models have more involved service protocols than others (say a 355 vs. 550). Does that help clarify? Thanks guys!

20. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Very good. Welcome and tell us more about yourself.

21. gomezoscar

gomezoscar Rookie

Jul 23, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for having me!

I'm a lifelong car fanatic - really all kinds. First job was cleaning transmission parts at a Mercedes restoration shop. Worked for a well-known transportation company with dealerships / logistics / racing and other businesses after grad school, and am now a social entrepreneur building technology for volunteers and organizers of global community service programs. I advise a lot of tech startups and social enterprises. Living in LA, but have also lived in SF, NY, CT, MA, and even London very briefly.

I love restoring old 4x4's, taking dialed in sports cars for canyon drives, and going on extended roadtrips and overland trips with loved ones.

Current fleet includes a Europa G Wagen, Laforza, Puch 230GE, Rover L322 Autobiography, and no sports cars. So I've got the itch and hence why it's time for a gated gearbox!

22. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    550 probably checks most of your "boxes"....High miles, gated 575 even better but not many of those in US.

23. niftyfivefifty

niftyfivefifty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    I am planning to list my grigio titanio on grigio 2001 550 with carbon interior package/Daytona seats and ~48k miles. It has been maintained and updated for daily driving and reliability. PM if interested and I can share more details.

24. eskamobob1

eskamobob1 Karting

May 9, 2020
    SoCal
    NuorderSG likes this.
  25. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Check my f430 just listed in the classifieds on this forum. 53k miles, $90k

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk