High mileage F430 value? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

High mileage F430 value?

Discussion in '360/430' started by cascade, Oct 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    No service records, two (minor) accidents, ... 75k miles... tread carefully :) can get expensive real fast, REAL fast.

Mbutner likes this.
  2. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    Yet, we don´t see all those high mileage Ferraris sitting on ads year in year out. I wonder what the value is on the 160k miles one in Sweden. That thing must be worthless in your eyes.

I followed the european F430 market closely since i bought mine in 2017 and all these high mileage cars, some at 80k miles sold much more quickly then the regular low mileage high priced ones. The price difference was about 20-25k from a low mileage one.

3. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    The Swedish F430 you mention, which I'm not familiar with, I would assume is worth its value in parts. A 160k mile engine will need a rebuild fairly soon and many other components (like the transmission and F1 system) are potentially getting close to that.

Not that many F430s sit for even a year because they're in demand. There's a significant $ and % difference between a 70-80k high mileage car and a 110-120k low mileage car.

4. Matt Andrews

Matt Andrews Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    I've wondered about this when looking at the Scud market. There is a particular blue Scud with tan interior FS that is really pretty in the pictures - but its a 28k/mi car. Its priced aggressively, but I want to drive it. So buying at no matter the price, the size of the market for people who would buy such a car gets small. And while there ARE buyers now with the market fairly robust, I suspect the buyers of high mileage cars are the first ones to exit if the economy turns...

TroyNVie and flat_plane_eddie like this.
  5. TAILWAG

TAILWAG Karting

Apr 8, 2007
    OP/Olathe
    Full Name:
    Angel
    I would not be so concerned about mileage as I would be about condition. If the car has been taken care of, and the regular items have been maintained, then I would have no hesitations considering it. I have seen some cars with 20k or less beat to hell and just because they have low miles, that doesn't mean they are a better buy. At higher miles, typically a lot of issues have been already sorted out and any issues would have already arisen.

That being said, that is probably a $ 50-60k car. Someone has enjoyed it and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

6. PHAB

PHAB Rookie

Aug 8, 2012
    I own a 112,000 mile 550 maranello. Has never let me down. Mileage is just a number.....as long as its loved and looked after it will treat you well. ;)

.....now if anyone has the WSM Section D for the 550 I will be able to finally rebuild the diff carrier bearings, replace the axle shafts and renew the diff mounts :D:D:D

7. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    Actually he got an offer of approx. 80k for it. It’s serviced meticulously and looked after. I have also seen cars that are shot to pieces with very low miles. It’s all about the maintenance and condition.

You can make a huge mistake just looking at the miles and that 120k car can quickly become a 140k car. If I would do the same F430 experience from the beginning I would only look at maintenance and condition.

8. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Respectfully, he should have taken that offer. I’ll be really surprised if it sells near or above that.

I wouldn’t buy it because I wouldn’t want to wait the years it will take to sell it, should I come to that decision. Ferrari buyers shun high mile cars. Period. They’re a ***** to sell under the best circumstances.

50-60 is where I’d be at as well.

Edit: sorry, I see you’re referring to Europe. I can’t comment on that, only North America.

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  9. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I only check mobile.de every few months out of curiosity. From what I saw, they are priced more or less the same as in the US. IF Sweden is the same as most of Europe, he should have taken that 80k offer and ran to the bank with it.

When I sold my 355 with 32k miles on it, that was already considered "high mileage" by some potential buyers. Keep in mind this is for a car that is 10 years older than a F430. My Maserati coupe had 70 something thousand miles on it when I sold it. Barely anyone was interested in it and the vast majority of those offers were about half my asking price ($10k).

10. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    You make it sound like nobody wants the high mileage Ferrari’s and that they are worth nothing. You are simply applying normal car market logic on a Ferrari which is wrong. A Ferrari can't be worth zero or just be worth it’s price in parts. There are always going to be buyers even for a very high mileage one. It’s not a Maserati where the value in most cases drop to almost zero. A Ferrari will always have a high value no matter the condition or mileage and there are always going to be buyers who want the cheapest cars no matter the price because it´s a cheap ticket into the "club". But they will never get so cheap that anyone can buy them, through the years if the prices for the F430 rise so will the cheapest ones.

Check the F430 market watch made by voicey at pistonheads, he has made statistics over the years on advertised cars and the high mileage cars a still worth quite a lot. The price difference is not huge between a 30k mile car and the 120k mile one.

11. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    He doesn´t care about the value. It´s used regularly and runs strong without issues.

It won´t take years to sell, i have never seen a F430 take years to sell and especially not the really high mileage ones which are a cheap ticket into Ferrari ownership. The cars that are sitting are overpriced manual F430:s and overpriced Scuderias both with low mileage.

bergxu likes this.
  12. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I never said they're worth nothing. I said this one with 75k miles, minor accidents and no history is worth around 50k. A few people said the same thing. Regarding the Swedish one I said it's worth its value in parts. I'm not sure how much that is exactly but the last thing I'd do is buy one with 157,000 miles and plan to spend $30k to do an engine rebuild on it. That's because resale matters to me. If it didn't, then sure I'll take the cheaper one to start with if I'm keeping it "forever".

13. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    There is absolutely a market for "high" mileage cars, people like me. My gated 360 had 54k on it when I bought it for $6x,000, when you could not touch a gated for below $80k. I've obviously had to put some $$ into it, but being a shadetree grease monkey, I've put WAAAAAY less into to that others have buying a 20k example. There was another car that I was looking at, had 12000 less miles on it, another member beat me to the punch, but immediately had to put $30k into it. I haven't even broke the 10 grand mark with mine, not including the 5 grand I made by selling the aftermarket nonsense and challenge wheels.

Service means SO much more than miles. 2-3k a year is not what I consider high anyway.

14. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Salvage f430’s sell for more then 60k regularly on Copart. For that matter so do 360’s. Seems like the F430 has remained popular and IF I ever saw one for sale at 50k I’d avoid it because it’s probably a black hole for cash.

15. lopezjaimee

lopezjaimee Rookie

Aug 12, 2018
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Jaime E Lopez
    Ferrari cost cost more in repairs If you don use It.

16. goldlifter

goldlifter Karting

Aug 8, 2015
    Damn,$80k? Hell, I'd sell my 05 with no accidents ,CCM brakes and carbon interior with 28k miles for $85k!

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  17. Houston F430

Houston F430 Rookie

Mar 22, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Franco Gangeri
    Don’t pay more than 45k and please stay away from 2005 F430

18. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    If anyone is paying 60k for a salvage title F1 360 (CS excluded) then they're a ****ing moron. I don't follow Copart but I follow eBay and the other major sites almost daily. Haven't seen any salvage title F430s for quite some time.

19. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    There is a 2004 red tan F1 360 Modena on Copart right now with a salvage title for a buy it now price of 80k. The damage looks to be just behind the passenger door like a really bad door ding. From watching these over the last year I know it will either sale very close to the buy it now or will be taken down. Most of these are bought by the folks that strip them down for parts. Now I’m not saying deals can’t be had but for the most part nearly ALL salvage title Ferrari’s are selling near clean title prices and most are being picked for parts. Even non running California’s are selling close to clean title prices, and 488’s are selling high. There were 2 different scud’s that were sold for over 90k. One sold for around 90k and was delisted by the new owner for 110k and it actually sold a few months later for that price.

There is a really nice 360 manual that has hail damage coming up soon I’m kinda watching, and it’s bid up to around 36 k. If it doesn’t jump too high during biding and someone has or knows someone with aluminum body experience could have a manual 360 for relatively cheap and have a decent driver if they can remove most of the hail damage themselves. If not it will become fodder for the recyclers which is sad since that car could be saved though would have nearly no resale value since it’s going to have a branded title.

20. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    If you're paying that much for salvage cars to strip for parts and make money on it different story, but anyone doing it to own and drive the car needs to have their head checked. There are plenty of F430s to be had in the 80-100k range. Half of the cars I've owned were higher mileage and it was always a pain in the ass to sell.

21. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Wow these Ferraris must be some pieces of junk if 25,000 miles is considered a lot t, hope i didn't screw myself by buying my first 360 w 40k miles (arrives next week, meticulous records new clutch, belts & tons of service) - I'm a porsche guy and miles don't mean much, sometimes the more the merrier!

22. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I haven’t ever bought any exotic from Copart simply because they cost too much. What I’m getting at is at some point for some reason some cars become worth more as “parts” then if you were to sell is as a car. Hard to believe but it’s true. And some of these cars were not that bad, of course you have no idea how they were maintained but you follow my meaning. 2 very good examples of 360’s are on Copart now, and will most likely will become parts. I’d be happy with either of those cars for the right money but no way will I pay no stories car prices.

23. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    Sadly, it´s because of people who bought their cars as conversation pieces and for show off. Also it´s because many owners are afraid that their garage queen is going to drop in value. It´s the worst part of the Ferrari ownership. While there are exceptions, i get a sense that real petrol heads drive other brands. However, the 360 and the 430 are solid motors if driven regularly and maintained.

24. RWC58

RWC58 Karting

Oct 14, 2018
    Columbus Ohio
    Full Name:
    Robert W Crooks
    I have to admit I'm new to the forum and looking to buy my first --probably a F430 but this thread is kind of confusing LOL ! I'm a 35 year domestic service technician and naturally would think one with a few miles or a driver would be a consideration .I'm trying to navigate the minefield of cars with no miles and the ones with a few miles . It does seem that having miles on a Ferrari does limit the audience and kill the resale more than other makes . Just an observation though .
    Not sure which direction to go but I have figured out that repairs are expensive !!

25. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    END OF STORY!

My Scud was having about 83 000km when I sold it and it was working the same way as in the day when she left the factory.

f1scud and Zed82 like this.