High mileage F430 value? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

High mileage F430 value?

Discussion in '360/430' started by cascade, Oct 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Given the history. 80k doesn't seem unreasonable. I love the f430, but 458s are coming down fast. As they do f430s will depreciate rapidly. Ferrari made large strides in eliminating a pain point with the transmission when they went to DSG. The wet clutch setup eliminates a lot of buyer fear. It's made me actually consider trying a paddle shift car.

I think you're right to just keep it. Where else can you find the kind of fun you get from a high end exotic for 80-90k.

2. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    at this mileage level service history is less important to many buyers. The mileage will imply that wear and tear items will start to need replacing.

3. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    attorney fees will eat into any appreciation gain you'll get. Not worth it frankly. I have a lawyer in the family and $400/hour bills add up very quickly; even for simple things.

4. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    Ever heard of double clutch gearbox break downs on the California and 458? Makes the F1 in the F430 seem like a bargain to maintain. And that´s now, imagine what will happen when the million parts and electronics in the gearbox start to age. Double clutch gearboxes are far from bulletproof and the clutches inside also wear, especially in traffic.

5. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    Never heard of a Ferrari buyer regardless of miles that does not take service history into heavy consideration. That´s just not the case.

6. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Well the truth of the DCT used in the early
    California’s and 458 did have speed sensor issues, which now can be repaired for around 6-8k depending on dealer though some still don’t have a qualified mechanic and they recommend a replacement. But fewer 458 have issues then California and even at this while yes there were failures it’s not as bad as it’s been made to sound.

As far as the wet clutch goes, yeah it might wear but be warned there is NO replacement parts for a clutch in the DCT as it was designed to last the life of the vehicle.

Ferrari and Getrag have refined the DCT and are now fitting gen 3 gearboxes to Car’s. Failures were eliminated by MY 2015, and realize that the SAME DCT is used across the brand for ALL vehicles they make.

7. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i wld just factor $10k into the price to cover the variator and F1 actuator. those are the 2 vulnerable spots of the 430.

no one is paying close to 70k for a 75k mile car with no history.

on june 1 2018 an 05 spider with 38k miles went for 70k (red car) at the manheim auction in fort lauderdale.

on june 5 2018 an 05 spider with 15k mile red car went for 92K wholesale at the manheim auction in orlando.

a 75k mile car wld be sub 50k wholesale or at 50k, not above. and with 75k no history all purchases will be wholesale.

8. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  9. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Are that many failing or are we getting a skewed perception because we're on a Ferrari board? Wet clutches are supposed to last the lifetime of the car. Porsche PDK for example has very low failures and should never need a clutch replacement. I don't get what Ferrari could be doing differently to make them wear out prematurely.

10. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Everything is skewed cuz we are on a board. Look at replacing carbon ceramic rotors as an example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    I didn't say service history is irrelevant, but when a car has really high miles even the most highly serviced car will have wear and tear items that need replacing. I would look like to know when the last major was, and if the PPI checked out I'd pull the trigger. That's just me though.

12. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Agreed my question was somewhat rhetorical though I am genuinely curious if the DC boxes are that problematic and I'm just missing it.

13. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I’d be suprised if 10% total ( in all cars equipped with the 7DCL750 from 2010 to current) have had a speed sensor failure. And it appears that about the time the California T came out the second generation gear boxes were added with even higher reliability and it’s my understanding the portofino is equipped with a generation 3 7DCL750. I’ve heard of no speed sensor failures on anything 2015 and up, not to say there haven’t been any. So while it’s a possibility it can happen, other then being prepared for a repair I’d not worry too much. And in theory you will never need a clutch and the modern cars are far more reliable and user friendly. But if you ever do have a failure it can be a bad day.

14. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    ]

Makes sense. Just like driving with an automatic. Generally bulletproof but when it goes bad you're in for a hefty expense.

15. mpatrizio

mpatrizio Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2004
    Miami, Fl
    Full Name:
    Mike P.
    This morning, my independent showed me a 2007 F1 Red on Tan with 55k miles that the owner wants to sell for $55k.

The car was on the lift so I couldn't get a good look at the interior leather, etc, but I really raised an eyebrow when I heard the price.

Maybe it's the whole rose colored glasses thing we owners have regarding our car values, but when I see numbers like those being discussed in this thread, it's natural to have a bit of anxiety that the depreciation curve still has a bit of room before we hit the floor.

Personally, I feel the floor on an clean F430 is $80-85k but I'm not so sure anymore.

16. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Was that in Miami or Doha? The Middle East has some crazy low prices.

17. mpatrizio

mpatrizio Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2004
    Miami, Fl
    Full Name:
    Mike P.
    Miami. I haven't updated my profile in years.

18. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani

80-85k for low mileage

50k miles on a Ferrari is like 150k on a normal car depreciation wise

19. RWC58

RWC58 Karting

Oct 14, 2018
    Columbus Ohio
    Full Name:
    Robert W Crooks
    Let me know where you would find 80-85k for low mileage unless it's a seriously motivated seller .

f1scud likes this.
  20. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Just look at the auction prices i posted. Well into the 90s WHOLESALE!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  22. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  23. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    I meant at a bottom of the depreciation curve years from now.

24. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    I would say that the bottom is pretty close or already reached.

25. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Maybe Zed, but I think 458s have faller to drop thus affected 430s