High Mileage ???? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

High Mileage ????

Discussion in '348/355' started by Dice996C4S, Dec 14, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    +1.......IMO it is something that may have stemmed from the 'ultra' 'truly' rare car market...... which is understandable to "some" extent........ the owner of the P4/5 drives his car regularly (4k+ miles so far :D ) .... now that, IMO is a rare car (just 1.....:eek:!!!)...................... the 348/355/360/430 of which they made or are making 10,000+ copies of......... are NOT rare cars......:eek: ................................... but I guess it does'nt hurt to pretend..........................:rolleyes:

here are some quotes from this link/article: http://www.almanacnews.com/morgue/2005/2005_05_18.mainbar.shtml

2. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Ski guy 348, a fellow fchatter, has a 348 Spider with >110,000 miles on the clock. I have 89000 miles to go before I catch up with him. :)

3. rhunt

rhunt Karting

Nov 20, 2003
    Here is a comparison of my last 2 cars:

2003 Mercedes Cl55 AMG
    Paid $58k 30k miles
    Sold $38k 49k miles

1994 Ferrari 348 Spyder
    Paid $52k 32k miles
    Value? ? 40k miles

I am going to drive the car as much as I can as I don't think I will loose more money than I did on the AMG.

Rob

4. blackcross

blackcross Karting

Jun 23, 2007
    Canada
    Rob, are you really loosing money if you're getting value out of it by driving and using it? Not being critical here but that perspective, I think is the root of the problem. I've always considered a drop in value of about $10k per year (on a new car) to be a good trade for the track time, travel and enjoyment I get out of any car. With my 348 I expect to be able to sell it for pretty close to the same I bought it for (ie only $2k per year reduction in price).

5. rhunt

rhunt Karting

Nov 20, 2003
    I think I didn't convey my point that well. I will drive the Ferrari (drove it 90 miles to work today) and don't care what the value is when I sell it. I bought it to drive it, not look at it in the garage. It puts a smile on my face everytime I start it up. I guess my point in this is that the Ferrari won't loose as much value as my Mercedes did and I surely enjoy driving the Ferrari a lot more.

Drive them boys and enjoy them....

Rob

6. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    this discussion / arguement breaks down to one thing "Whats it going to be worth". Well gentlemen...Mine isn't going to be worth anything. I saved for more than 15 years to purchase the car of my dreams. I now have that car and intend on enjoying every minute I own it.

Why will it be worth nothing you say. Because its hard to sell a car thats been buried with a body in it, the graveyard people are going to be pretty pissed you tried to dig it up, and its a felony.

Bottom line I don't czare what its going to be worth because I'm never going to sell it.

Samir Goncalves likes this.
  7. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Very profound.

I agree with you, but to answer the question to the poster....mileage is not the only factor in resale. Having a garage queen with no service records is equally discouraging. Therefore, my advice would be very similar to gothspeed, but what you can afford and enjoy it. I think the problem is, many people over purchase and then have a very hard time of enjoying it.