High quality Cobra replica thread | Page 2 | FerrariChat

High quality Cobra replica thread

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by JohnnyRay, Sep 15, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #26 msdesignltd, Sep 29, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Yep! That's pretty sweet. What kind of injectors are those?

3. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I am told my shelby(csx continuation replica) slab side is at the installers for the engine (V performance ) and i should have it in about 6 weeks .. looking forward to the fun...

4. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Bump...is there a thread on your new car? Would love to see it and read your impressions...

5. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    #30 buddyg, Feb 5, 2017
    Gorgeous, I have had 3 different Superformance Cobra's and they are very high quality and most people would not know it's not original. I would never claim it as original but would explain that it's a reproduction built with all new parts in a factory in South Africa.

Fun cars, in fact I traded my last one on my current Ferrari.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Kirkham has the highest quality aluminum body put together by craftsmen in a former MIG factory in Poland.
    They are used to work with unbelievably tight tolerances and it shows in the product.

7. Randy R

Randy R Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 23, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    '14 Cal 30 TDF/Tan
    Kirkhams were not available when we bought our first Superformance 17+ years ago... I think Kirkhams are awesome for a true Aluminum skinned replica, and SPF makes a very reliable, enjoyable, practical and affordable fiberglassed replica. They are both tops in their class.

8. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    #33 JohnnyRay, Feb 5, 2017
    Pretty much what I tell people. It's a factory built replica vs a kit car. People often stop and ask..thinking it is the real deal. It's a roadster/ street version with no stripes or pipes, which likely contributes to the perception...because it doesn't look like all the other (SC style) replicas.

I've never driven a real one, so don't know what the difference in seat of the pants feel might be. Its definitely fun and feels like a 60s vintage car...

9. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006
    Very nice JohnnyRay!

10. marklotus

marklotus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 8, 2007
    Valley Forge, PA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #35 marklotus, Feb 6, 2017
  11. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    ^^^ that is awesome.

12. Randy R

Randy R Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 23, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    '14 Cal 30 TDF/Tan
    #37 Randy R, Feb 6, 2017
  13. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Some nice cars being posted here. I especially like the red interior of the 289 car...

14. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    This is virtually identical to my csx 8043 only mine is princess blue gotta post a picture even has the same red/black interior which I really like

15. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    My experience with SPF admittedly a Gt40 and not a cobra was that the cars are fine on road, but severly lacking in sub componant development when run on track. In that regard ERA seems to be the pick. The Kirkhams are truly stunning. The lines of the AC Mk4 are imo the best of the lot.

If it were me I would buy a used 80s ac, loose the bumpers, change the dash to a 60s version and put in a seriously built 302, revy and smooth, something like 500 hp at 7k rpm and 500ftlbs of Tq.

While I love the 427 idea, the motors are heavy, plus other than short accleration bursts these +600hp and +600ftlbs monster stroked 427s are really undriveable in any serious manner.

The orgional 427 motor was relatively short stroke and a real rever, if I were doing a kirkham or even era with a 427 block it would be aluminum and stick with the origional stroke.

What do ac mk4s go for these days?

16. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    #41 LARRYH, Feb 8, 2017
  17. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    the car is actually setting on the floor not on its side...oh well/

18. marklotus

marklotus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 8, 2007
    Valley Forge, PA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I really like that color combination but I stuck with the silver/red.
    Did you finish it yourself? How many miles have you put on it?
    I had mine out today with this great weather we're having...today only.
    What kind of engine set up did you do?
    You can PM me if you want.
    Mark

19. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    the silver red is nice I saw a 2000 series cobra that I really liked it was princess blue with the red and black dash interior at auction a few years ago and I really liked its that was the color reasoning. I bought it from Todd at hillbank and had it finished through one of his companies .. The engine is a ford crate BOSS 302 dressed to look like an original 289 HI with the hollow outline cobra valve covers with a TKO tremec...
    It I was to do it again I would power it myself and try to get an original 289 Hipo which can be found I only just received it and it has been cold or rainy or snowing for the last months or so while I have had so no real miles I Plan to drive it once I can get the weather reasonable ... there are a few things I will correct on it but other then that it is awesome...

20. marklotus

marklotus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 8, 2007
    Valley Forge, PA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I bought mine through Hillbank but had Bill Andrews of HRE in Long Island finish it. I got it in the Spring of 2013 and had many problems with it. Some were the result of the manufacturer, some were of the engine builder, some were of the final finisher and some were my fault. Everything got resolved eventually and I'm very happy with it. I've put over 5,000 miles on it. I know that HiTech keeps improving their manufacturing. I do have an original 289, stroked to 331. An enjoyable and affordable way to experience a 289 Cobra.

21. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I may be contacting you if I run into manufacturing associated problems . I went with the new ford crate engine on this trying to eliminate some issues since the engine is basically made by ford ..
    I did a 427 Shelby about 10 years ago a 40th anniversary aluminum car they were at that time pretty inexpensive and had Jim Harrell finish it using a Shelby alum block 427 the build quality in my opinion was a little better in that car .. but it was truly a monster that is one reason I decided to keep a more reasonable engine in this and not having the side pipes is a must I burnt my leg so bad on that car that I still have a scar.....

22. marklotus

marklotus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 8, 2007
    Valley Forge, PA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Sure, I'll be glad to give whatever assistance I can. I think HiTech has been continuously improving the cars and their production. Are you aware of the owner's manual and service bulletin program? I don't know if Hillbank provides them now.

23. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    NO I received no paperwork other then the MSO.. really pretty unfortunate . the car is actually pretty well built ...

24. marklotus

marklotus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 8, 2007
    Valley Forge, PA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Contact Blas Costagli at [email protected] . He makes a manual, wiring diagram and issues service bulletins. He works closely with Ross Henry who is pretty much the engineer for the slabside cars. I recommend highly. You can mention my name.

25. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    thanks I will do this....