High quality Cobra replica thread | Page 3 | FerrariChat

High quality Cobra replica thread

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by JohnnyRay, Sep 15, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ECHO CHARLIE

ECHO CHARLIE Karting

Jul 8, 2009
    Are the Shelby continuation series and Superformace the same company now ?

Edward

2. marklotus

marklotus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 8, 2007
    Valley Forge, PA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Both the Shelby continuation Cobras and the Superformance Cobras are built by HiTech
    in South Africa. They are, however. not identical. I don't know all the differences between the two but I know that the Shelby comes standard with the Salisbury rear and the Superformance does not. They are not the same company. One is Shelby American and the other is Superformance. Some dealers may sell both Cobras, others may sell one or the other.
    Hope this helps.

3. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    What do you guys think of Backdraft?

They are an option for me since Factory is in Florida and convenient....

4. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I have looked at the Backdraft and they build a decent car but a superformance to me is a better car. ..just my opinion.. when I bought mine was very seriously considering a superformance car but decided I had to get the Shelby.....

5. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    They are not near the top of the list. Think build quality, authenticity and resale value when you choose a replica...

6. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Apologies in advance for the likely "lame" question, but I want to be sure I've got this down:

Best replica choices:

- Kirkham (polish aluminum body?)
    - Superperformance (South African fiberglass?)
    - Shelby "continuation" (South African fiberglass?)

Can someone confirm or correct that?

Also, if someone knows and wants to invest the time, a brief +/- to each of those would be greatly appreciated.

And any other "how do you choose which one" advice.

And, of course, "drivetrain" advice (I am looking for something "reasonable" - meaning not over-powered - and ideally retro looking under the hood).

And, finally "how and where do you buy one and how and where do you get it finished?. I won't be turning a screwdriver here, I need it delivered turnkey. Do these even come with any sort of meaningful warranty?

(Why I'm asking - I can only have 1 "fun/weekend" car in my new retired life (smaller garage and less toy budget) and am thinking that a rear-exhaust "slab side"(?) 289 style cobra replica would fit the bill perfectly for what I want).

Thanks in advance!

7. Joegnsx

Joegnsx Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 1, 2012
    Valrico, FL & Franklin, NC
    Full Name:
    Joe Gliksman
    Still thinking about it, eh?

8. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Lol!
    I can't help it..those cars we were hanging around were so much fun...and the sound!
    Too bad they wouldn't let me buy one on the spot with my Visa...😜

9. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I would put ERA above superformance.

10. marklotus

marklotus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 8, 2007
    Valley Forge, PA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    No comparison!

ERA is a "kit" car. You have to source parts and assemble and paint. Obviously much is provided but much is left to the buyer. The quality of the finished car is highly dependent on the assembler. Much cheaper upfront. Also, from what I've seen, the slabside does not have the transverse leaf spring of the original slabside.

The Superformance and CSX cars are complete, less the engine and trans. They are factory built and painted. Obviously more expensive upfront. As correct as possible with subtle improvements. Very high quality from the factory and less dependent on the final finisher, Up to the buyer to decide if the premium for the CSX number and other differences over the Superformance is worth it.

Full disclosure...I have a CSX8000 car.

11. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Kirkham or nothing else, definitely the best, highest quality and most perfect reincarnation of the original but with more precision, tighter tolerances and quality overall.

12. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Kirkham over a Shelby CSX 4/6/7?

13. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
  14. marklotus

marklotus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 8, 2007
    Valley Forge, PA
    Full Name:
    Mark
  15. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    #65 LARRYH, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    I will give you my 2 cents I Have owned an aluminum 427 Shelby continuation and now my Shelby 289 slabside

Shelby cars are available in either fiberglass or aluminum
    If you get a 289 Shelby firberglass slabside you get a car built by Hi tech in south Africa for Shelby and they are built very similarly to the superformance but are built for Shelby they are then sent to Shelby minus the differential and other items and Shelby does this work then they are sent to the selling dealer and you add the engine through one of a number of companies
    I
    If you buy a Shelby in aluminum you can get it painted or unpaint and polished the builder is Kirkham who does basically the same routine only Shelby also handles painting the car.
    the body is made in Poland and sent to Kirkham who sends it to Shelby etc..
    The Kirkham's are only available unpainted with various aluminum finishes just not paint and are great cars
    The superformance cars are built by Hi tech and are nice cars and a great price.

From my standpoint the only cars to get are the superformance or Kirkham or a Shelby the Shelby is about 30% or so more then the other cars.
    If I had my choice I would get the aluminum painted slabside Shelby but it is expensive and takes a while to get ...and I may order one have not decided..
    I like my 289 much more then the 427 just because I decided I like the looks and I burnt my leg very badly on my alum 427 sidepipe car once still has a scar really pissed me off..

re power I decided to just get a boss 302 crate engine with 350 hp dressed like a 289 original and it is plenty fast remember these cars are very primitive and the original cars did not have as much power as the replicas..
    I hope this helps.
    one more thing the Shelby comes with a legit CSX serial number and mine is titled as a 1965 Shelby cobra vin is CSX 80##

16. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Yes there is more to building an ERA, there is also imo a more serious car under the body, and ERa can do turnkey if you provide the motor, its 80k build with a 50k resale.

Once you look underneath an SPF car, the welding and sub componants used, its fine for the street, but if you run one on track lots of things may soon fail.

Yes the spf shelby slabsides run org style suspension chasiss and body and the era 289 is really a 427 underneath. The shelbys also have cachet and resale, . I guess it depends on intended use and preferences.

I do agree with you that most cobras have engine overkill and are effectively unuseable.

The 60's 427 was rated at what 475 gross hp so what 425 in todays numbers. the 428 which most 427s came with was somethign like 350 gross hp.

The 427 SO engine was short stroke rev'er, designed more around hp durability at speed and maintaining revs. Many new build 427Fe cars go with a stroke for ridiculous Tq and over the top hp, its then an excercise in holding back while you chug around with a truck style motor. Prabably why we see so many with very few miles after a decade, they are really just cruisers..

In the Uk in the 60s they sold a Mk3 which was essentialy a 427 body with the 289 motor, so there is precendent.

A bored aftermarket dart block 302 comes out at 331, still with that revy short stroke crank and great rod ratios for smooth silky reving power. Yet with good heads and internals etc its still a 500hp motor with Tq appropriate to the car.

Speculating idly, my fantasy build would be a kirkham 427 or era 427 with the 500hp 302 block motor and a 5 speed, with under car exhausts. You get the best most appropirate motor and the better 427 chassis. Probably not good for resale as they need to be 427 even if its a 428 or bored and stroked 351 as so many are. But as a drivers car the 302 block is the way to go.

Another option find an AC Mk4, put a 60s dash in it, and a stock stroke aluminum 427.

So many different ways to go. Everyone has their preferences.

My opinions are just that, opinions, because I dont have cobra.

17. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Thanks everyone, I'm learning lots. Much appreciated.

18. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I thought I would add this weekend we finally had some nice weather mid 70s and I got to take my cobra for its first nice ride drove about 100 miles total really like it the car the boss 302 feels real nice sound awesome with the undercar exhaust and just the right amount of power for the suspension.. had some of my car friends see it at cars and coffee no one had seen the slab side reproduction had it up to around 80 mph felt nice ...
    anyway fun little car....

19. Rizzo1

Rizzo1 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2008
    Regina, Sask
    #69 Rizzo1, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is my Superformance with my Gallardo. I prefer driving the G but the Cobra is a fair weather car only. Its so fun to drive. Raw and loud and in your face. I never get bored of driving it but it doesn't come out too often so hard to get tired of it..LOL.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    very nice... and I gotta say the car will always have your attention when driving a cobra...

21. Truth Teller

Truth Teller Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 18, 2017
    Have you actually looked at an SPF Cobra chassis? Shelby America uses the SPF chassis. You should give it a rest Boxerman.

22. Randy R

Randy R Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 23, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    '14 Cal 30 TDF/Tan
    Really? I thought SPF's used square tube framing, where SA's used round tube framing. I think the commonality is that both are made by Hi-Tech in South Africa.

23. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    No they both use round tube. and They are both the highest quality .. with a fiberglass body and if you want to pay for the ALUM the Kirkham and the Shelby are the best with Kirkham building the bodies for Shelby....
    so you can get south Africa or Poland ...
    LarryH

24. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    Learned a lot more about what to look for from him than any of your contributions. You can always put him on ignore. I'm happy he puts his opinions and expeierience in these threads.

25. Truth Teller

Truth Teller Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 18, 2017
    And you can put me on ignore just as easily. Boxerman has a personal axe to grind with SPF and uses that to take cheap shots at the brand. When he does so I will mearly remind others of this fact. Cheers!