HIGH SCHOOL --1959 vs. 2009 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

HIGH SCHOOL --1959 vs. 2009

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by mseals, Nov 15, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    #26 ZINGARA 250GTL, Nov 16, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
    You are of course, joking about being armed. Now, if you lived in York or Harrisburg, being armed would do you no good. You'd be outnumbered

2. Andy348

Andy348 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Andy
    100% true.

3. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Absolutely not.

I have a PA LTCF issued by my sheriff. My wife, a former Federal LEO, has been threatened recently by someone she put away some years ago, who found her in our local downtown shopping district. This is not the first time this has happened.

I take self defense and the defense of my family very seriously. I train regularly, and am proficient with the handgun that I carry legally. My neighbors have no idea, as I carry concealed. We keep the garage door closed, cars and house locked, etc, at all times.

Being able to carry concealed in PA is a recent event. The laws were changed, making PA a shall issue state as it pertains to a License To Carry a Firearm. Open carry has been legal for some time, but only if you're not in a vehicle. Once you get in the car, you need a license to carry.

DM

4. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    You've just reinforced that I live in "Mayberry", a small pocket of a major city. I have to wave kids across the street at the intersections as I leave my neigborhood, and there's a crossing guard at another. You can't believe all the kids walking/scootering/biking to school every morning. There's even a quaint covered pedestrian bridge and a house with a white picket fence on the way to school.

Sadly, I drive my kid. We got an exemption to get him in the school and it's too far to walk. And once he leaves elementary school, now way he's walking. A major 6 lane road sits between our house and the Jr. High. The good news is he plays football and basketball to get his exercise.

5. ZINGARA 250GTL

Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Ok. Now, it is clear. Thanks. What I said about York and Harrisburg is very true.

6. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE
    100% on it.

This week is sex ed week in health class, and they're basically just covering STDs.

7. prohydro

prohydro Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Not at all for me either. I either am armed or have OC spray with me when I take the dogs out at night. I've had incidents several times, and we live in a quiet city. There is just "stuff" that happens--and where would you rather go to rob someone: to the bad part of a city, or to a nice, quiet town that's close to the city?

8. vipermann123

vipermann123 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2005
    Irvine, Ca
    Full Name:
    Uzy Malik
    Mike, good one!!!

I needed a smile on my face today.

Thanks,
    UZY

9. ZINGARA 250GTL

Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    #34 ZINGARA 250GTL, Nov 16, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
    Your point is salient. "Stuff," as you say, happens. Spray is preferred. We have it. We do not walk the dogs at night. We like early morning. There are few ramifications in using spray and most thugs will run. Stray shots from ricochets can have lasting effects unwanted by anyone. The neighborhood is for enjoyment.

10. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    I used to walk to school on the other side of town ...

... carrying a baritone sax, too. ;)

11. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

The right ammunition, and an awareness of where you are and the situation reduce that risk significantly, As I'm sure you know, pepper spray won't deter someone who has a gun and a few feet on you.

DM

12. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Very true Mike...my how time's have changed.

13. prohydro

prohydro Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Sure. I'll forward your post to the house down the street that had 10 guys staying there and one of them got drunk at 11 in the morning and walked across the street in front of the grade school with an Ak-47. Nice neighborhood except for 3 houses...

14. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    When I went to school (Kindygarten) in Minnesota they made us practice tornado drills, nothing as scary as atomic bombs, but I'm sure places still practice stuff like that if natural disasters can happen.

15. DGS

Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Unless you have one of those city rug rats (the "dogs" small enough to use a cat box), when you're out walking the dog, you're not alone. Even the friendliest dogs are fiercely loyal to their meal ticket.

Back in the "before" scenario days, I was working (alone) in a gas station at a lonely intersection (back when stations had attendants). A guy pulled in and asked what I would do if someone were to hold me up. I just whistled.

And Max, a german shepherd the size of a pony, came trotting over.

The man just said, "Oh.", paid for his gas, and left.

16. DGS

Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    I'm not so sure.

Back in the '90s, I'd read in a LEO journal, that unarmed burglars would often head first for the kitchen and arm themselves with a carving knife. I mentioned this on an online forum, and suggested that the counter-top knife racks weren't such a good idea -- better to keep the knives in one of several drawers.

The reaction was amazing. People screamed "paranoia" and denounced planning for, or even talking about, possible troubles.

As if thinking about "bad things" was what made them happen.

I suspect that disaster planning, like self defense, has become politically incorrect --- something to be left to Big Brother to worry about.

They also show Al Gore films. ;)

And they also teach that the Civil War was about slavery, rather than about the economic disparity. (I went to school in the north, but they gave us enough background that the alert student could work that one out for himself).

How long before they start teaching "pyramid power" instead of physics?

The more we pretend that it's a "kinder, gentler world", the less of both it becomes.

After thinking about this one, a bit, I realize that "too far to walk" is less a matter of distance than of changing environment.

The neighborhoods aren't as safe for kids as they were. Crossing the street is far more dangerous when drivers are gabbing on cell phones, encased in a two ton SUV marketed to isolate you from the road.

-----

We can denounce the '50s for its open racism, but racism was coming under fire, even then. And it's the places that kept the discussion open, that let people proclaim their biases ... and then try to defend them ... where the greater progress was made in reducing racial bigotry.
    The places were "political correctness" simply drove bigotry under cover left people with no need to evaluate ... or correct ... their prejudices.
    If you look at a demographic map of Massachusetts, today, you might be surprised to find that it's more segregated than, say, North Carolina.
    In my experience, I tend to find more "closet" bigotry in liberal cities than in conservative neighborhoods. Whether that's a city/town thing or a lib/cons thing, ....

And take the inattentive drivers. People aren't willing to take responsibility for their actions. The more we teach that Big Brother will keep bad things far away, the more they're convinced that it's not their actions that brought the disaster on themselves.

Political correctness doesn't really reshape people's thinking. It just puts a mask on it, and makes falsehood a way of life.

To paraphrase "Sin City", Once you get people agreeing with things they know in their hearts ain't so, ...
    ... it's a fast track downhill from there.

17. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

#42 dm_n_stuff, Nov 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My dogs re for sure, not rug rats. Still, I'm certain I' not interested in sacrificing one of my dogs because some numb nutz can't control himself.

Here's a snapshot of Bijou. She's about 175 lbs.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. ZINGARA 250GTL

Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    You misunderstood. I just don't walk the dog while armed. Not in this neighborhood. On the otherhand it would be a very bad idea to come into my house uninvited. Further, if we had three houses like that here, we would be elsewhere. If you or anyone else wishes to be armed, I have no objection whatsoever. The Constitution places the right to self defense directly after the right to free speech for a reason.

BTW. Frau and I have a well practiced home invasion plan.

19. prohydro

prohydro Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Ah, gotcha. I did misunderstand. Most of the time, things are quiet. We live in a condo building at the end of a street where "most" of the houses are businesses. It's the edge of the urban/residential area.

The three houses we have trouble with are all rentals, waiting to be turned into apartments or condos. Luckily my friend is a cop, and he and his buddies sit on our street many nights.

20. ZINGARA 250GTL

Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Understood. Rentals are always a problem. Fringe areas require special consideration. Your choice is well understood.

21. ZINGARA 250GTL

Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Gorgeous animal, Dave. Sweety at home, I'm guessing.