High speed alignment tweaks. | FerrariChat

High speed alignment tweaks.

Discussion in '612/599' started by Anthony James, Nov 23, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Anthony James

Anthony James Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    I always respect those around me, but when it’s a nice day with very little traffic (almost never) and my WAZE has no problems reported ahead, I like to visit 3X the posted speed limit. I don’t run up on people or get reckless, but occasionally there is that clear road ahead and four open lanes, and for the next mile or two, I have to hear 7K in 5th and grab 6th. It’s my bad, I know it’s not politically correct, yes I may be that tool, but it’s a Ferrari that needs to exercise a little once in a while.

Having confessed, I also want to increase my stability at the 165+ range and wanted to know if anyone has done the following or have experience with tweaking the 612 / 599.

I have a 05 612, and had the car scaled, front and rear alignment to spec, and new tires. Its fine to 150, but I feel it getting a bit light in the front from that point on. Everything is stock but the wheels. 599 OEM front and rear wheels and Tires.

I’m considering reducing the front toe out (- direction), increasing rear toe in, and increasing caster (+). Just a little bit and see if that works. I would then try a thicker front roll bar if anyone makes one. It would probably be months later that I would get an opportunity to see if there is an improvement, but it wouldn’t be very expensive to try.

Anyone have any experience with the 599 or 612 trying this?

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Toe out on the front suspension would definitely lead to hunting at speed. Great for turn-in, bad for straight line stability.

The HGTS and HGTC packages both have stiffer springs and a heavier rear anti-roll bar, but the front bar stays the same.

612 20" and 599 20" front wheels are identical, the 599 20" rears are one inch wider.

3. Anthony James

Anthony James Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    +1 on that Terry.

4. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    No experience here, but I tend to doubt the changes you are contemplating would make a difference. It seems what you need is more downforce. Some type of front and/or rear spoiler might help accomplish what you want.

And be careful at those speeds, I'm not bailing you out Anthony! :D

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Anthony- Might be worthwhile checking ride height, too, to make sure it is within specs.

Anthony James likes this.