highway 1 south to big sur closed? | FerrariChat

highway 1 south to big sur closed?

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by Edward 96GTS, May 14, 2024.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    how far south of carmel can one drive until the roadslide? can bixby bridge be reached?

2. sfcarguy

sfcarguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 9, 2018
    Earth
  3. GogglesPisano

GogglesPisano Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2022
    East Bay, California
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Closed between Notley's Landing and Bixby basically. Still a nice drive to the end though as the closure has reduced traffic a bit.

Edward 96GTS likes this.
  4. GogglesPisano

GogglesPisano Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2022
    East Bay, California
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Looks like it's going to be a signal with one lane for the time being. Better than nothing I guess. North cost 1 has a few of those from the storms as well. Can't wait until they open the whole thing up, been a few years since I've been able to enjoy the coastal drive. We should organize a group drive down once they all open :)

Dazed2day likes this.
  5. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Assume it'll be months before the southbound lane reopens and the traffic signal is removed. It's a shear drop where the slip out occurred...sort of makes you wonder how it will be repaired so it can last through further erosion below.

6. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    On local news tonight, they called out how unrestricted traffic is now allowed in both directions (ie, no more convoys). But they also said that fixing the southbound lane at the slip out could take up to a year to fix.

As an aside, note that the Big Sur Bakery burned down a couple weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat