355 - Hikari LED H4/9003 Headlight Bulbs... | FerrariChat

355 Hikari LED H4/9003 Headlight Bulbs...

Discussion in '348/355' started by F1ScuderiaTifosi, May 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1ScuderiaTifosi

Mar 16, 2015
    Hill Country TEXAS
    Full Name:
    JB
    #1 F1ScuderiaTifosi, May 2, 2019
    Last edited: May 2, 2019
    We live in Texas Hill Country. There are a lot of White Tail Deer in our area, a lot. And there are very few street lamps lighting up the roadway. I prefer having our beautiful Prancing Horse hood emblem as opposed to a bloodied-up White Tail Deer. Let's face it, the OEM halogen headlights are subpar. Heck, my Surefire Flashlights are brighter than my GTB's headlights combined, LOL! I needed to have better illumination so I decided to make the conversion to LED's.

I decided to go with Hikari LED H4/9003 Headlight Bulbs (for my low beams) because my buddy uses them in his 4Runner and they've been working out great.

I obviously began by shutting off the battery power to the vehicle...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

I then added a few layers of masking tape to protect the bumper's finish.

I then removed the screws securing the pop-up headlight rims. There are 4 screws securing each rim. I made sure to magnetize my screwdriver to avoid losing the screws in between the gaps of the body panels.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

The headlight bulb housings are secured by headlight adjusting pins with push-lock style bases. Basically you have to use a flathead screwdriver to gently and slightly pry open (below) the wings of the push-locks to dismount the headlight bulb housings. There are 4 in total surrounding the headlight bulb housings.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

To access the back of the headlight bulb housings to swap the bulbs, I needed to gently maneuver the housings out of the containers, as Ferrari calls them, by basically wiggling them out. It's a little tricky because it's a tight squeeze in there but obviously not impossible to do. This is where the masking tape earns it's stripes. I'd be really surprised if someone could do this and not scratch up their paint without the use of masking tape.

Once I swapped both headlight bulbs, I made sure the LED bulb wires weren't going to get pinched during the operation of the pop-up mechanisms. I had my girl turn the headlights off and on while I watched to make sure the wires were safe before I reinstalled the pop-up headlight rims.

After I buttoned everything back up and turned the battery power back on, I adjusted the angle of the beams a little lower so I don't blind oncoming drivers. It's easy to differentiate which pins are adjustable and it's easy to make the adjustments so I didn't think taking photos of that step was necessary. Just note there are 2 adjustable pins and 2 fixed pins per headlight bulb housing.

These LED bulbs have built in fans to keep their circuitry cool. I can't really hear the fan sound from within the passenger compartment but I can hear them if I'm standing near the front end. No big deal.

The difference in performance is literally night and day. I'm glad I decided to make the conversion.

Steve355F1 likes this.
  2. F1ScuderiaTifosi

Mar 16, 2015
    Hill Country TEXAS
    Full Name:
    JB
    The 20 minute edit limit timed me out, LOL!

I was trying to edit the verbiage on "I obviously began by shutting off..." to:

I began by turning on the headlights then shutting off the battery power to the vehicle via the knob/switch. I'm fairly confident y'all know where this knob is. This needs to be done so the pop-up headlight mechanism stays in the 'up' position during the work.

I was also trying to edit the verbiage on "After I buttoned everything back up..." to:

"After I buttoned everything back up and turned the battery power back on, I adjusted the angle of the beams a little lower so I don't blind oncoming drivers. It's easy to differentiate which pins are adjustable and it's easy to make the adjustments so I didn't think taking photos of those steps were necessary. Just note there are 2 adjustable pins and 2 fixed pins per headlight bulb housing.

Steve355F1 likes this.
  3. F1ScuderiaTifosi

Mar 16, 2015
    Hill Country TEXAS
    Full Name:
    JB
    Thanks, taz355. These are the ones I purchased. I didn't want a clearance issue inside the bulb housings so I opted for the shorter versions. I've been so happy with them I also purchased and installed them for my girl's commuter, my suv and my father's suv.

I'll look into adding this to the sticky 355 thread. Thanks for the kudos.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077B3SNJR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    You guys need European lamps, not brighter bulbs.

ATLdoghouse likes this.
  5. F1ScuderiaTifosi

Mar 16, 2015
    Hill Country TEXAS
    Full Name:
    JB
    Ok, I'm interested. Please elaborate in detail why and include a link(s) to a set for sale.

6. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Less lens diffusion, more direct lighting.

Attached Files:

7. F1ScuderiaTifosi

Mar 16, 2015
    Hill Country TEXAS
    Full Name:
    JB
    Ok nice pic but not much of a detailed explanation and where is the link of a new set for sale? I couldn't locate any for sale. But then again, I may be using the incorrect search phrase so said web-link would be helpful. I've been utilizing the search phrases, "Ferrari F355 Euro/European Headlights/Headlamps," with no avail. I did see a set of "French Yellow Euro Headlights" but that's inapplicable for obvious reasons.

Furthermore, we need diffusion because as I stated, there are very few street lights in our area so we need a little bit of light to illuminate the sides of the road so we can see if deer are up ahead and on the flanks. A beam with more "direct lighting" won't address our specific concerns. A direct beam would be counter intuitive because that type of beam would be too focused, akin to someone suffering from tunnel vision.

If you're concerned that we're blinding other motorists, we're not. I had my girl drive the opposite direction in the pitch dark to make sure of that. Furthermore, we haven't been 'flashed' at by other motorists.

8. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Maybe it's your browser. ;)

It took a second to find that photo using the keywords 355 euro headlights.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Ferrari-348-355-456-F40-Mondial-Set-H1-Headlights-Little-Defect-R-L/936406455?iid=371970840446&rt=nc

9. F1ScuderiaTifosi

Mar 16, 2015
    Hill Country TEXAS
    Full Name:
    JB
    #10 F1ScuderiaTifosi, May 3, 2019
    Last edited: May 3, 2019
  10. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    so the new LED bulbs are just plug n play..?

I read a thread long time ago.. someone put in brighter bulbs.. but had to wire in some type of electric box on each side to compensate and not burn the battery..

11. F1ScuderiaTifosi

Mar 16, 2015
    Hill Country TEXAS
    Full Name:
    JB
    Yup, plug & play. I've been running mine for months without any issues, thankfully. Maybe that person installed HID's or Projectors as opposed to LED's? LED's typically draw less power. IMO, that coupled with better light output is the draw for me as an alternative lighting option.

Halogen bulbs give off more of a yellowish light. It's old school technology but it has it's uses. I personally dislike yellowish light output from bulbs except for use on patios and decks because that color light tends to attract less bugs. But yellow color output fog lights penetrate through fog better than white color light.

12. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    The seller is in Germany. Do you think he's selling new U.S. spec headlights for 90's Ferraris?

Did you compare the lens design between yours and his?

Regarding plug and play LEDs, did you compare their operating temperatures (with OEM)? Lots of horror stories about the LEDs melting plastic back-shells.

13. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  14. F1ScuderiaTifosi

Mar 16, 2015
    Hill Country TEXAS
    Full Name:
    JB
    Wow! You still don't get it do you or are you just THAT GUY, A TROLL? Your comment, "Less lens diffusion, more direct lighting" automatically eliminated your "European lamps" suggestion as a viable solution for us, period. How else can I convey that to you more than I have because you're obviously not gathering that from my recent replies?

I'm not going to do further research by comparing this and that because I asked you to "elaborate in detail" but you chose to summarize it with, "Less lens diffusion, more direct lighting," so obviously that's the bullet points you feel are their benchmarks in performance because those are the 'detailed' words you chose to 'elaborate' with and well, that's not the performance we're looking for. Get it? I don't care if the seller is in Germany and I don't care if they're new or used because I'm not interested in them. Do you get that?

If you read my post in it's entirety, you would also gather that I have these exact same LED headlights in 3 different vehicles. 2 are commuter vehicles with polycarbonate headlight lenses which would be more prone to your "melting" comment, mind you, than my GTB's housings which have glass lenses. We've had no issues with any of them under constant daily driving use, none.

And again BTW, the ad you linked me/us to does not state in THE HEADER that they are EURO style. I'm not going to spend time reading the whole ad if the main details at the top of the ad, where it should have been mentioned, does not specify what I was searching for. If you have the time to read sales ads in their entirety, cool, I don't.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna finish up my other project then go fishing. Woohoo!

15. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    See for yourself.

https://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/handle/2027.42/49446/UMTRI-2001-19.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y

Besides, "more light" won't fix your problem with deer in the headlights. ;)

16. F1ScuderiaTifosi

Mar 16, 2015
    Hill Country TEXAS
    Full Name:
    JB
    #17 F1ScuderiaTifosi, May 3, 2019
    Last edited: May 3, 2019
    LOL! Ok Mr. Obvious, but it sure helps to see whats ahead with ample lighting but you probably don't understand the value of ample lighting. I'll pass on your web-link, you've been nothing but a waste of our time so no soup for you. ;)

17. Koenig1

Koenig1 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2016
    Ottawa ON
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    Hey F1, hate to say it but I have a Euro 348.... My lights are BRIGHT! "Wade" only suggested you look at the Euro Lights.... and you went into a bit of a Tantrum! He provided some back-up links. Wade has been an excellent contributor on here as well as you coming in. Kudos to both of you. BUT, before you start picking a fight, maybe just take a calmer approach... look at the person's contributions 1st...
    my .02

18. F1ScuderiaTifosi

Mar 16, 2015
    Hill Country TEXAS
    Full Name:
    JB
    Evenin' Koenig1,

I apologize if that's how you're processing this, really. But like I typed, the streets in our area is on the dark side of pitch black so we need to see whats on the sides of the roadway. He said the Euros have less diffusion but have direct lighting and thats not what we need in our case. We need diffusion and a bit less direct lighting so I said the Euros aren't applicable for our needs and thanked him for his input, did I not? That should have been it but he kept reaching and insisting, so I laid it all out. Whats the point of him continuing with this and that if I already declined his suggestion with a thank you? I'm sure he's contributed over time but if he's going to suggest something, have all of the information ready to support the suggestion instead of just typing up a vague phrase and sending a photo then sending someone on a scavenger hunt for used parts. Again, I apologize, bud. Have a good one.

19. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    You asked for detailed information (which I provided in the link above - High-Beam and Low-Beam Headlighting Patterns in the U.S. and Europe at the Turn of the Millennium - The University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute) and you asked for a source, which I provided as well (eBay).

Did I ever advocate either Euro or US?

20. rob.kruiswijk

rob.kruiswijk Formula 3

Jun 15, 2014
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Hi,
    Intresting discussion

Over the last 8 months i did research to upgrade all Ferrari 348TS EURO front and tail light bulbs with LED and will share with you my fact findings on low/high beam light output

I bought my 1991 F348TS back in August 2002 from http://www.forzaservice.nl/ and provided the dealer four OSRAM H1 silverstar 2 bulbs for the low/high beam upgrade.

Fact #1 EURO F348 low/high headligh assembly are made by HELLA and have H1 bulb sockets.
    Fact #2 The OSRAM H1 silverstar 2 bulb provides +30% more light output compared to a standard bulb with has a power consumprion of 55.7 Watt
    Fact #3 The maximum temperature of the headlight housing is 128 degrees Celcius near the OSRAM H1 silverstar 2 bulb with a power consumption of 59,3 Watt !!
    Fact #4 I still have the 28 years old original 1991 delivered headlight assembly which is in top Quality condition.
    Fact #5 Until today I did not find any aftermarket H1 replacement Led bulb that provided more light output with the headlight than the OSRAM H1 silverstar 2 bulb ( very shokking for me and trust me I tested alot aftermarket LED bulbs)
    Fact #6 Led light distribution in low and high halogen headlight assembly is a drama with aftermarket led replacement bulbs due to led technology and bulb design restrictions, and with a projector assembly the drame is even better.

I measured the following:
    Bulb power power consumption.
    Low/high beam image patern (I was very impressed by the highbeam patern of the EURO 348 headlight).
    Low/high beam headlight output with a LUX meter
    Headlight assembly max temperature.

Now the good thing.
    Last wednesday I recieved some new parts for the low/high beam upgrade and resulted in the following measured light output.
    Lowbeam: over 4 times more light output than the standard 55W halogen bulb with standard 348 projector assembly
    Highbeam: 7 times more light output than a standaard 55W halogen bulb with the standard highbeam reflector.
    53W bulb power consumption
    Max headlight assembly temperature is lower than 55W hologen

I have a 348 video clip on my iPhone where
    Lowbeam has 3.4 times more light output than the standard 55W halogen bulb.
    Highbeam LED with equal output as the silverstar 2 bulb.
    Lowbeam 0,5% headlight inclination angle with sharp correct cutoff line

unfortunately It does not upload in ferrari chat, any help with this is appriciated

Regards, Rob

21. rob.kruiswijk

rob.kruiswijk Formula 3

Jun 15, 2014
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Rob
  22. F1ScuderiaTifosi

Mar 16, 2015
    Hill Country TEXAS
    Full Name:
    JB
    That is a great, detailed and interesting write up! Awesome information, Rob. We think we're on the border between halogen bright and too bright (I should add we're only talking about the low beam lights). We'd like to stay within those parameters so we don't blind and irritate other motorists. We were having so much difficulty seeing far enough forward and on the forward flanks for potential dangers. After we saw our buddy's Hikari LED headlight setup, we decided to follow his lead. We've been very happy with the decision. We were so impressed, we installed them in my SUV, my father's SUV and my girl's sedan. They've been very happy with them as well. We thankfully haven't had any issues with the Hikari LEDs. Thank you again, Rob. Have a good and safe evening.

23. rob.kruiswijk

rob.kruiswijk Formula 3

Jun 15, 2014
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Rob
    F1ScuderiaTifosi likes this.