Hit a pothole | FerrariChat

Hit a pothole

Discussion in '360/430' started by vvvmd, Mar 21, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vvvmd

vvvmd F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2003
    close to the Hub
    Full Name:
    Victor Villarreal
    Hit a pothole pretty hard today RF tire. Got out and inspected things. The tire will need to be replaced has sidewall damage. No loss of air. Luckily the wheel is not damaged. About 8/32 to 9/32 tread left on the tire so almost new. Can I just replace the damaged tire or should I replace the two fronts? Will get the car aligned after the tire is replaced of course.

2. since-15

since-15 Formula 3

Nov 26, 2008
    I say make the RF a spare and buy a new rim and two new tires... if possible. If not, just buy two new front tires and call it a day.

3. elmani

elmani Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2008
    austin Texas
    Full Name:
    marc b
    unfortunately... tires should be bought in pairs and you should replace both tires, unless the tire age is less than 1000 miles i would say, and less than 1 year old (age of tire can be read on the sidewall of the tire)- both conditions must be met in my mind.
    Note that tire age not just threads is very important for similar behavior of the tire. That is, same tire brand and threads with different rubber age will behave totally differently
    Tires are the only part of the car touching the immobile ground, so it is a VERY important component of the car's behavior and handling, and you do not want to save $ here...
    Cheers

4. djantlive

djantlive Formula 3

Jun 30, 2005
    porsche's rule is as long as the tires are within 30% wear from each other, you are fine. given you are at 8 or 9 /32, i think you can just replace that one.