HK _ anyone remember this car? | FerrariChat

HK _ anyone remember this car?

Discussion in 'Asia' started by kerrari, Jul 15, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Hi to all in HK... I've had my carbed 308GTS (red/black) for 7 years now, but it was brought in (by a greymarket dealer) from HK in 2001 or therabouts. I have lots of service paperwork from Italian Motors, but got to wondering if any of the previous owners are on this forum, just out of interest.
    S/N is 29041 and the last plates on it (which I still have) are EL 7452, but I forget what year the last license was paid for.
    The car was in bad shape when I got it, but spent 6 months in the workshop and has since given me great service and joy! I know there may be some horror stories attached to this car (I already know about some bingles and that it was in Macau for at least one GP week, but not sure if it was tracked or not) but I'd be interested to hear if anyone has any first-hand stories to tell.
    I kind of think of this car as an orphan who's come into my care! BTW, I lived in HK from '88 to '98 (on and off a couple of times - had a 'funeral car blue' Fiat X1/9) and love and miss the place!
    Thanks and regards, Karen

2. kerrari

Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    100 views and no one remembers this car? Don't be afraid to tell if you think it's a 'bad' story...

3. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    I was curious, so I viewed this thread. It is a good thread, and I hope you are able to find as much about your car as you can. I would guess it is a 1979, by the s/n.

You could start with that license plate, and ask the motor vehicle dept for info, then work backwards. Was there any insurance info under the seats, or paperwork with other names on it? I know it was 7 years ago, but did the point of purchase have owner-history of any sort?

Unfortunately, Registry-site owners have their hands full with so much specific information that they don't keep up with current posting because they mostly do it as a hobby and have tons of data info to enter, and that is so time consuming.

Good luck. I'd like to hear you found out about your car!

4. kerrari

Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.

Thanks Neonzapper - I'm too lazy to do the tracking you mention, just thought someone here might have remembered it. There weren't too many 308s in HK in those times.

5. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Don't know anything about your car. There were more 308's in HK than you might imagine. I looked at a few around 2002 and they were dirt cheap and as such suffered from bad service etc. A lot left HK. Same for Porsche of similar vintage. Maybe if you mention some names from your IMSS receipts we can ask around for you.

Lucky you to move from HK to Coolum

6. kerrari

Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Thanks DM18 - funny you mention Porsches, because the bloke who brought the car into Aus was a 'dealer' in 911s... he just took my 308 as it was a good deal for him. I don't think it's right to mention any names from the paperwork I have, I'm sure if any were here they'd have spoken up. Coolum is great, but I do miss HK - mostly for the people and the food!

7. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    PM me the names if you want and I can contact any that I know - many of the older guard of HK Ferrari owners are not fchatters