Hmmm any leads on 125279, air filter for air pump? | FerrariChat

Hmmm any leads on 125279, air filter for air pump?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by rpissm, Sep 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #21 in this diagram.

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v12/testarossa-group/testarossa-1987/secondary-air-pump-and-lines-for-u-s-version.html

Well, maybe I'll start with my symptoms. Upon cold start, car barely runs at first, chug, chug, chug, then gradually comes to life within probably 15 seconds. Then I hear a clattering coming from this thing. If I plug the hole in the bottom, the clattering goes away. Otherwise, whenI hear the 'tink' of the thermoswitch, it stops clattering. The clattering just started happening probably in the past couple weeks.

Any ideas? I'd hate to think I gotta spend $200 on an air filter!

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    sorry joe, can not help, here in europe we don´t have those secondary air pumps.
    what hole in the bottom? bottom of what? hole in the airfilter?
    in the sketch I see so many hoses and valves. so this chattering is coming from the airfilter?

3. kartboy1234

kartboy1234 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Crazy coincidence I started to hear a clattering from mine as well. Thought that my engine was dying. Does your engine backfire when you rev it when cold?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

4. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Don't worry Joe, you won't need to spend $200 on a filter....but you may need to spend $1800 on an air pump....I think what you are hearing is the vanes chattering inside the air pump being amplified as it comes up through the hose and out the filter. The pump shuts off after the engine warms. I don't know if that is causing the rough running but it is likely causing the noise. I suppose if it is binding up severely it could put a load on the engine and cause your symptoms but I would think after awhile the belt would depart. My pump belt was removed before I owned it and it passes CA smog easily. As a first step I would remove the belt and see if your problem(s) goes away (I believe the Alternator and/or A.C. compressor belt have to come off first if you don't want to cut the belt).

turbo-joe likes this.
  5. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Ah, thanks for the info! Glad to hear it could be a $1800 part instead of a $200 part! :)

Considering my cats are hollowed out and I don't need to pass emissions anyway (because the car is > 30 years old), removing / cutting that air pump belt sounds like a good idea!

And kartboy1234 yes my car can backfire when cold. Used to backfire a lot more before I installed new exhaust seals though!

6. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Thank you for the info. I have been trying to figure out my backfiring. It sounds like gunshots. It only does it when cold. So I thought it may have been the air injection.

7. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Yeah there's a cross reference thread for the header-to-precat and cat-to-pipe gaskets. Saves a ton of money vs going the ricambi route.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

8. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    I replaced one exhaust seal between a cat and the exhaust. It was a pain in the ass due to rusted bolts. I'll check for leaks.

9. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Sea foam worked great for me on those bolts, fyi.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk