Hmmmmmm thinking about selling my Mondi | FerrariChat

Hmmmmmm thinking about selling my Mondi

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Mondial83, Aug 4, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    I just wonder if I will regret selling it? I drive the 911 Turbo more. The Ferrari usually sits gets driven a few times a month. Not sure if I should sell her or hang onto her. It is a Ferrari after all and I may never get a chance to own another one. Anybody sell there's and wish since that they hadn't? What if it's some how worth 100k in 10 years lol big what if I know but that would suck for me. What do you guys think what would you do?

2. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    Keep her, because she eates no money and will defenitely rise in value again.
    Drive the "flat Volkswagen" and be happy to have a Cavallo stored dry.

Best wishes
    Markus

read33 and Mark C Harvey like this.
  3. Mondialcuzzolo

Dec 30, 2015
    I agree...

4. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    It's getting harder and harder to find a good one that's been sorted.

Mark C Harvey likes this.
  5. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2004
    Unfortunately you have to maintain a car that sits just as much as one that is driven. The belts, specifically, have to be done on a specified interval. If you don't drive it, the clutch will stick to the flywheel and anything that uses brake fluid will go bad. Anything made of rubber will perish. Anything that can rust will rust unless you can control the humidity. Leather goes moldy or hard or both. Antifreeze will need to be changed. Fuel will go bad and then you will be in a hard place.

Bad news, you may have already missed the hot market. Unless you don't have anything better to do with the money, sell it if you can find a buyer willing to pay a reasonable price.

6. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    I look for any "reason" to drive mine. Cars and Coffee, car clubs, sonic meets, car shows -- any reason. Just the C&C and other shows keeps me at about 100 miles a month.

Between C&C and the various local car clubs (I joined the local Italian Car Club) there is something happening almost every weekend - even if it's just a meetup for breakfast.

My advice would be to keep her. You never know if/when another opportunity may come by again.

sid

7. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    it's all pros and cons my friend. Sometimes you need the space, time, and a little extra money never hurts! I plan on keeping mine for the long haul. I just love it that much. I can now afford other Ferrari that were in my shopping list (348, 355) - but now that I have the Mondial - I keep on coming back and realizing every car has their pros and cons. I would no longer be able to drive with my kids in the back. The twitchy handling on the 348 at limit. The uniqueness of the car at my Ferrari club (I'm only 1 of 2 folks that have a Mondial) The visceral rawness that some 348/355 owners have said they prefer in their tipo 119/348. The upside appreciation potential. Plus I finally qualify for Historical Vehicle Plates.

In the end the choice is yours, I"m sure you'll make whatever is right for you now.

Good Luck!

Mechanical Dad likes this.
  8. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    I still keep her maintained I do drive it just not as much as I should. I won't just let sit and rot. It is kept in a temperature controlled garage...... Don't need the space or the cash. I will just keep her. Thanks guys you made great points

9. EMJAY

EMJAY Karting

Nov 20, 2012
    spoke to DMV here in CA, they seem pretty strict about driving w/ historical plates (parades and charity events only ) . has anybody had any experience w/ this ??? its only 2$ a year registration fee and no smog check...

10. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    Showing up at an event where there are 10+ 430, 458. A dozen or more modern Lambo's. 5+ McLarens. AND having the only Mondial?

I was at a C&C, parked next to a P1. My old girl attracted nearly as much attention as the P1!!

I think people now realize that the Mondial is a unique, gorgeous - and attainable "exotic". I get nothing but compliments when I take her to a show.

sid

11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Agreed, in person these cars always illicit a smile, thumbs up, "I've always loved these", "what is that?" comments, and as John Pogson said, an "approachability/friendly" factor that some of the more well known Ferrari do not encourage. I've gotten not a single negative comment in person, only gushing appreciation from all when confronted with a real life example.

The only people that denigrate these machines are folks that *read* or are told by others they should OR bought a neglected one without putting the proper maintenance/restoration required ($$$) only to sell to another 'dreamer' that is equally unprepared, only to perpetuate a downward cycle of bitterness.

This car came to me with problems ALREADY from bonehead previous owners..... I didn't complain but fixed them all.

3+ years, 10K miles into it...only problem in that time? Busted alternator...easy fix.

even with all the money I put into it - I can sell and today make a profit!!!!

it is still the best car I've ever owned....

Mechanical Dad likes this.
  12. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    My Mondial was the most expensive one available at the time I bought it. I bought it because of the Prugna Metallica color! I know of only 5 others but there must be more. Anyway, mine is probably one of the fastest and most derivable Mondials on the entire planet because that was my intention. It is way faster and way more reliable then when I bought it but is almost certainly much less valuable. That is because it is approaching a 60,000 mile "major".

I entirely and deliberately intend to entirely and deliberately ignore the entire thing. The belts were new when I bought the car. They are like something out of an M-1 main battle tank. And there are TWO of them, one for each bank of cylinders on a small 3.2 engine. They are specifically designed for continuous and repeated racing conditions. And probably designed for repeated 7,500 rpms during such uses! Even though the fastest speed at which to shift is DEMONSTRABLY 6,000 rpms [I have demonstrated it conclusively at the 1/2 mile speed trials at the Gofast event at Heavens Landing this Spring. I did many runs at about 115 mph while the best Lambos did it at about 215 mph!] A major costs what? Eight thousand dollars? Ten thousand dollars? I don't know.

One thing I do know is that the only belt failures I have EVER heard of were after incompetent installation. And I have only heard of four or five belt failures at all. And so, although I no longer use the Mondial as my daily driver, I fully intend to vigorously use it in my Ferrari heavenly mountains as I have the last three years, and more recently in the last few days while considering a Corvette Z-51. I might actual acquire a C7 Vette. However the Mondial, at least MY Mondial is no dog at all and is fully, and surprisingly satisfying AND I can use all of its capacity without more then one or two felony convictions.

The Vette? They would throw away the key....

Anyway, you can keep your mileage down and perhaps surf a rising price tide. If you drive it into the "Major" category? Big problem.

13. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    As I have written elsewhere everyone loves the Mondial, and no one seems reticent to express it. I suspect it has to do with the subdued elegance of the car plus its vague familiarity with the Magnum PI two seater.

14. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    I'm in the same place as you. Love driving the 930... Drive the testarossa so the gas doesn't go bad... Don't want to sell, as I am sure it will go up in value. It's just too nice to park anywhere...

Driving the testarossa is more of an event. Driving the 930 is more fun...

15. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    Sell it.

de-clutter your life and never look back.

Do whatever is fun right now. You can always buy another car that fits a current need.

2cam likes this.
  16. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    If I had a convenient place to store mine I would of definatly kept mine. Like others have said it is hard to find a good one and mine was and I spent a lot of time finding it so to me unless you don't have the space or need the money I would keep it.

17. Drewbdo

Drewbdo Karting

Apr 8, 2016
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Just curious if you did indeed bypass the "major" and belt replacement. It's been about two years since this post was written.

I'm considering a Mondial as my first F-car. I prefer a manual transmission, as I enjoy shifting. I'd like to be able to take a couple of shorter humanoids along, etc.

I haven't seen one in person, but I like the idea of simple, older cars which I can tinker with myself. I don't want to be repairing something every weekend. However, I'm not afraid of doing my own oil/fluid changes, belt swaps, plug/wire swap, tire rotation, etc.

Anyway, I read an article referenced in another thread here on F-Chat (which I can't find at the moment...):confused:

The article, written by an exotic car broker with decades of experience, mentioned that the "three year belt" job was probably due more to F-dealers seeking additional shop business / showroom traffic, rather than due to mechanical necessity. It also mentioned that Gates (belt manufacturer) had suggested a *nine year* replacement cycle.

The Mondial is a car I can conceivably afford to purchase, and equally important, maintain...

Depending on how frequently those belts need replacing, of course... ;):p

18. Mechanical Dad

Mechanical Dad Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Keep it ! If you look at the muscle car market today vs 25 years ago, everyone had a Camaro or a Chevelle that was built and bad ass. The guys with a Cutlass , a Le Mans, a Malibu, etc all got the "why do you have that? , it's not cool" . Now if you see one of those models that's not hacked up, they generally attract more attention. The Mondial to me is that car. I took mine to the FCA meet this past weekend and there were only TWO. Mine and another 82. Out of over a hundred cars on the streets, Just 2. That I find fantastic, but that's my opinion. When I was looking at purchasing a 924, I talked to a few "experts" on those cars and they told me not to buy it because they're slow and it had an automatic. You know what? I bought it and I've been driving it as much as I can. It's simple and fun to drive. That's what matters. The feel you get when you look at it and drive it. I enjoy owning two black sheep in the automotive world. Go with your gut feeling, but do as you must.

Sent from my SM-G930V using FerrariChat.com mobile app

MaseratiMike likes this.
  19. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    When it comes to the Mondial, forget everything you've heard and read outside of FerrariChat. Unless, of course, you're talking to an Owner/Enthusiast. Loads of information just a search function away...

And stay away from "brokers".

20. Drewbdo

Drewbdo Karting

Apr 8, 2016
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Finally found that F-Chat thread referring to belt changes. -

The original article about belt changes referenced in the above post is on Michael Sheehan's Ferraris-Online.com (the broker I mentioned). -

From Mr. Sheehan's article (bolding mine):
    [...]

Engines had changed to cam belts from chains, and belt replacement became a regular part of servicing. But through the 1990s, Ferrari never had an official policy mandating cam belt replacement. Indeed, the factory warranty book for the 355 recommended a cam belt inspection at 52,500 miles. The reality is that cam belts virtually never break. And even if one loses a single tooth, because the cam sprockets are multi-toothed, the loss of a single or even several separate teeth on the same belt would not cause the cam timing to slip.

[...]

Today’s obsessive-compulsive mandate that cam belts need to be replaced on the twelfth month of the fifth year is simply silly. For example we bought and sold 1983 512 BB S/N 35411 in November, with 30,000 miles and it had never had cam belts changed. When the cam belts were finally replaced after 25 years and 30,000 miles, they showed no unusual wear or deterioration.

Here’s the bottom line on belt replacement. You’ve got the following choices.

1. Every nine years, as Gates recommends.
    2. Every 52,500 miles, as Ferrari used to recommend for the 355 and earlier cars.
    3. Every five years, as is the common recommendation today.
    4. Every three years, as Ferrari has now decided needs to be done for a car to be “certified.”
    5. Every three months, if you want to keep your mechanic busy.
    Personally, I get by with an annual visual inspection of the cam belt and tensioners, and with a replacement every five to nine years, unless my car spends time at the track.

Anyway, I'm not planning on purchasing a car from Mr. Sheehan or any other broker.

I was just curious if F-Chat member Rapalyea did end up skipping the major service. He posted the following about two years ago.

21. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Haven’t heard from rap in awhile. I was the previous owner of the car and the service was done when I bought it which was iirc 2012. The car had been sitting for awhile so when I bought it the repair shop I got it from rpmvt did what amounted to a full service on the car they went through it thoroughly and fixed everything that needed to be fixed and did do the belts and other preventative things. My rule of thumb is to do belts every 5 years or 30,000 miles whichever comes first but most mechanics with experience working on these cars say that you can go 7 or 8.

22. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I have found in a lifelong of dealing with cars that you have to find a balance between being totally neurotic or driving down the road with the steering wheel shaking so bad they your teeth feel like they are going to fall out.

23. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    It is not just the belt. That will easily last 7 or 8 years. I would guess closer to 10 if you drive the car. Virtually no one makes it to the 52.500 mileage and very few to 30,000 miles. I would use the latter because most people will have about 7-10 years by that time.

It is the related rubber bits (cam seals) as well as some of the bearings, like the tensioner that need refreshing. You can upgrade those to the Hill units for very little extra money. And "while you are in there" stuff like water pump (at least every other belt change). On the t, probably wise to do the WP while the motor is already out.

Regards,
    Jerry

24. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I sold my 87 3.2 Cab. It was the most amazing car I have ever owned. I had it for 9 years and put about 25K miles on it. Most in the first 3 years. I spent the remaining years waffling. I really didn't have the money to put it at the level I wanted it. I just didn't have the income to support it when my life changed and I had more responsibilities. I sold it to an owner that planned to put the money into it and make it right up front. I'm very happy with my experience and I have no regrets on moving on. I used the car on club events and cross country touring. I was able to dig in and do services. I squeezed the experience juice out of it. I've been a car guy all my life and I've achieved the dream and moved on. I still need a fun car. I drive an 88 Camaro convertible with a 5 speed. I traded one 4 seat V8 manual convertible for another. Just on the new one I can change the engine for the price of a full and proper service. I believe these cars operate best when fully and properly serviced. It really was a special machine and I doubt I'll ever own a Ferrari again but I have no regrets, mostly wonderful experiences. With how little I was using it and the needs it was coming upon, and the great family it went to, again, no regrets. In my years of ownership I was able to appreciate it for the car it was but also understood that it is only a car, if an exceptional one. I don't believe there is a car that can do what the mondial can at it's price point. I just went in a completely different direction. I now have a car that flexes and rattles, but it's a hoot to drive. Exceptional, no, but a kick none the less. Cheers all.

rob likes this.
  25. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Agreed! I am thinking of selling my 308 because I can only have one car in central London and a Mondial can fit my kids. For the very few times I need more space I'll rent.

Regarding the belts, these run hotter than most applications and the lower pulleys are small so a lot of stresses on the belts. I wouldn't push them beyond 5 years, 30k miles. The early (smaller) outer drive bearings (2V and early 4V engines) were also marginal and known to fail so I would change those at 30k. Mine had 35k and were noticeably worn. Changing the belts is not hard and there are lots of good DIY descriptions. There are also often fellow enthusiast who will help out for a beer or three :)