Holy Crap I bought a Ferrari! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Holy Crap I bought a Ferrari!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ForzaYYZ, Aug 11, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ForzaYYZ

ForzaYYZ Karting

Sep 4, 2016
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Sebastian
    Super-rookie question, but I'm not driving the F1 properly for sure. Starting off the line in 1st gear, I get jerky stalling from the engine (embarrassing at traffic lights). Should I be hammering it? Also, is there every a good reason to downshift into 1st when already rolling (like getting around a very slow corner)? Not sure what I'm doing wrong here. Never had a stick, which is contributing to my sloppiness. Not sure what RPM to shift out of 1st - going by sound.

@RedApple; car looks amazing - congrats to you too.

2. JTT

JTT Karting

Jun 16, 2020
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    J Taylor
    That’s awesome. So happy for you.
    Joe

3. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Are you shifting into neutral at traffic lights?

sjd

4. ForzaYYZ

ForzaYYZ Karting

Sep 4, 2016
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Sebastian
    I'm not consistent; if light just changed to red - Yes, but if I think it's changing soon I keep in 1st and roll off.

Only got to drive about 4-5 times before packing up for our long-long winter.

steved033 likes this.
  5. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Always drive it in sport mode…..that’ll cure it

6. jc1

jc1 Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2021
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Joey (2012 458 Spider)
    Can you post a video. You should be able to leave it in first and smoothly accelerate. There’s really no reason to downshift to neutral at stoplights in my opinion.

7. ForzaYYZ

ForzaYYZ Karting

Sep 4, 2016
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Sebastian
    I thought leaving in 1st for too long would wear the clutch, even if standing still. Do I have that wrong?
    I can't post a video until April time-frame, when snow and cold are gone.

8. jc1

jc1 Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2021
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Joey (2012 458 Spider)
    I’ve never heard that but I could be wrong. Can anyone else comment?

9. Boots

Boots Formula 3

Jan 17, 2020
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jake
    Sorry do you have a manual or automatic gearbox? Post sounds confusing.

10. ForzaYYZ

ForzaYYZ Karting

Sep 4, 2016
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Sebastian
    I have an F1 model, but seem to be having some trouble out of and into 1st - never had a manual which may be a factor. Rookie issue that I'll get over with more drives in the Spring.

11. tstuli

tstuli Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2018
    NC
    Does it get worse the clutch is warmed up? Sounds like your PIS may be too tight. VINs later than 124874 have the newer tcu that allows you to configure that. Is your VIN higher than that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. xmine

xmine Rookie

Dec 8, 2013
    Alabama
    Congrats on your purchase. That's a beautiful car. One of the nicest 360'S I've seen in a while!

13. 87testa

87testa Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    Sounds like something is wrong. I am no mechanic but my 612 is smooth off the line in first gear irrespective of how much gas I give it.

As for how to drive the F1 transmission properly, whether to keep it in neutral at the lights etc. there are some good threads on Fchat on this subject.

Sam

14. Vegas CS

Vegas CS Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2018
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    James
    I've had a few CS's so my experience will differ slightly from yours but you do have to pull away from a stop with "purpose". That's not to say make every stoplight/stopsign a drag race start (lol) but you do have to pull away with more throttle than what you might be used to. These are not Nissan Sentras, they are manufactured with more of a "race ethos". If you watch racing, you'll see the cars rev very high so they can get going from a standstill.

I never downshift into 1st when coming to a stop. I've learned that downshifting to 2nd, then letting the car downshift into 1st on its own is smoother. Unless you want to hear the tubi, then by all means.....shift to 1st and listen to the overrun. lol :D

Congratulations on your purchase! Like you, I'm not rich but have made good life choices and am able to own an Fcar. Even just going out into the garage to see that I have one is satisfying, isn't it?