home theater design | Page 2 | FerrariChat

home theater design

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by tifosi, Jul 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GhostRider

GhostRider Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Then it was setup wrong. That's the whole point behind an AMX or Crestron system--you trash all those remotes for an easy-to-use touch panel. For example, click one button for a "Movie" choice, and the lights come down, shades close, screen comes down, projector comes on, switches to the correct input, switcher routes the correct singal, and audio preset kicks in, whatever you want--all with one button. I program these systems for a living. BTW, the Bellagio water fountains in Vegas--all run off an AMX system. How's that for control power?

2. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    GhostRider: No doubt you are correct about the programming issues. Frankly, i don't need a "one touch" system, so the notion of adding an additional layer of stuff-that admittedly requires someone who knows what they are doing when it comes to software programming--is not for me. There are undoubtedly large, complex, multiroom systems that virtually require such a system, but i'll wait until i add the fountains, and the dancing girls, before i take that step.

3. Bad Chariot

Bad Chariot Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Reading, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I recommend reading the Home Theater Builder section over at www.avsforum.com. I have been surfing there for years and think it's the best A/V forum on the theater. I know a few people who have responded in this thread are members there too.

Michael

4. Srgtfury

Srgtfury Rookie

May 16, 2004
    Just to add a bit to the Crestron type concept, for those who are reading and maaaybe want to try it. I taught myself and had no programming training of any type and that was before sample programs were available on the Crestron site. The computer I am using to send this email also controls through the Crestron processor my house-lighting via Radio Ra, Stats, distributed audio with Mp3s via Request Multimedia etc. and that is a "free" cpapbility with the right hardware (no software license required) for ny wired LAN computer. I have web tablets also working the same way, without extra licensing. An Axim can do the same, but a licensing fee is required.

The used gear on ebay is quite affordable and powerful at this point, coupled with the sample programs really not that difficult, even for the novice.

I apologize to theoriginal poster, who has indicated no interest in this type of system, however.

Thank you very much

Fury

5. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D

yeah, I checked out that forum, I might be hooked :) I am going to start drawing up some plans with various ideas, I did some detailed measurments last night an I think I am looking at a 13 by 18 room with a 9 foot ceiling. I am going to go with risers. The room is a little narrower than I wanted but one of the copper waste pipes coming from upstairs runs along the outside wall and I don't want to box it in in case I ever need to get at it.