Honda engine now better than Renault | FerrariChat

Honda engine now better than Renault

Discussion in 'F1' started by TheMayor, Oct 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Jakuzzi likes this.
  2. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    375+ and DF1 like this.
  3. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Crikey! Put a prawn on the barbie, I'm done. - Daniel Ricciardo

4. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Good point!

I think Honda will shine next week at home. More more "GP2! GP2!" crap over the microphones.

5. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    If you were to ask me which maker was MORE motivated to do well in F1 and improve the most, there's no question its Honda over Renault.

Anyone who thinks Honda's engineering isn't up to snuff is just fooling themselves.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  6. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Power means nothing if it can't finish races.

7. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Agreed... but it seems like the Honda is about on par with Renault now in that category. I don't believe the Honda is better than Ferrari or Merc but it could very well be now the 3rd best motor on the grid.

8. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Weren't you sh!tting on Honda not too long ago?

9. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    I watched the race in Sochi, too lazy to look up the final word...what happened with the Toro Rosso cars? Brakes?

10. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Everyone was the last 2 years. My issue was that no one believed Honda could come back and I was one that said they COULD.

But it turns out what I was also saying is true --- McLaren put too many restrictions on the engine layout which Honda said would be a problem. Honda said with RB it was the opposite and they immediately started to improve

Let's face it -- who would know better the Honda v Renault engine than RB. They run BOTH of them!

NeuroBeaker, Jakuzzi and Ryan... like this.
  11. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Yes brakes on both it seems....

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  12. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Honda is using STR as a development mule by introducing several new specs this year. Ferrari and Mercedes cannot afford introducing new spec engines as they are in too tight of a battle fight now. Honda can still introduce a couple more new specs of engines at Austin , Rio, and Abu Dabi and get closer to Ferrari and Mercedes. 2019/2020 could be quite interesting if Honda is both powerful and reliable in the Red Bull chassis.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  13. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I think it was only a matter of time until Honda got their act together. However, I for one, did not think it would take this long. Good for Honda. I hope they are back and it will be a great 2019 with RBR, Merc and Ferrari challenging each other. Make F1 Great Again!

14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Honda said McLaren's design restrictions were part of the problem.

15. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    So with STR as a cooperating partner, the motor should be good to go in 2019! When that happens, what will be the difference between RBR and STR cars? If they have the same motor, wouldn't they also be running the same suspension and chassis?

16. DF1

Honda reporting PU instability and may not use the new motor for Japan. They are running out of races to get it right. Dyno in offseason is not good enough. As far as the 'parity' goes that's questionable as the Renault chassis is certainly not that good nor is the Toro. We will not know anything 'definitive' with respect to Honda until winter testing. I have doubts about Honda overall. Toro might be a 'test' bed but appears to not be a very good one. Time will tell.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  17. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Well that is a gut punch.

18. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I think Honda would prefer they run a race without blowing up in Japan. No one cares about where TR places.

Next year they are in a big boy car. That will be the real test.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  19. DF1

Very true. Big boy car completely reliant on not so big boy results currently.

375+ and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  20. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    Me thinks Renault are abandoning the current formula and waiting until 2021. Develop the chassis and aero, get all your ducks in a row. Right now Merc have ruled the hybrid turbo era and i personally think they have more juice in the tank than they show. Hamilton will be a 6 possibly 7 time WDC by the time this is over at which point he'll retire as one of the greatest ever statistically speaking.

21. DF1

From a cost view I have no problem with them doing that. It would make sense if they have a good feel for the coming new regulations.

22. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Unfortunately I believe you are correct; and the statistics book will not indicate that the championships were gifted, they will say that they were "won". :(
    That is the problem when you only read the number without the context/circumstances behind said numbers.

23. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Tells how much backwards Renault has gone

24. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    I was just refreshing my memory to what McLaren are running next year...so what is the difference between a Ferrari engine and an Alfa Romeo engine?

25. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Both are running the same PU and software....according to new rules by the FIA. It's about aero and suspension thats the difference between the 2.