Honda going downhill AGAIN! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Honda going downhill AGAIN!

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by masterflex164, Feb 6, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. essdime

essdime Karting

Apr 26, 2006
    Edmonton
    Full Name:
    Ian K M.
    Back end looks like it has some BMW influence to it. 325 series.

2. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Can't argue with that. The '03 Accord does exactly what it is supposed to do, and is a great value.

The problem is that Acura is supposed to be a premium brand, competing with BMW, Mercedes and Lexus, so the attributes that make your Accord a really good car aren't enough. I won't compare my ex BMW (2002 coupe) with my Ferrari or my ex-Porsche, but for a four-seater it felt closer to a sports car than anything else you could buy. It felt premium, looked fantastic and was a joy to drive. Acura owes us a bit of that.

3. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Are we having some issues with our EX-ess?

All of my EXcesses live in Texas, of course.

Many of them did feel premium, look fantastic, and only a gentleman would never tell how much joy thew were to drive.

4. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I don't agree with the Ferrari comparison. I don't think a car only looks good because of the cars that surround it. We all know what the NSX looks like and what a Ferrari looks like. You don't need them to be physically next to one another to determine if you think it looks good. IMO, the NSX looks far better than the 308/328 and slightly more than the 348 (again, in my opinion). The newer Fcars definitely look better (F355 is my favorite), but that's expected given the time the NSX was designed. It has aged well.

As far as the Lambos, there haven't been many made. At least since that time, you had the Countach, Diablo, Murcie, and Gallardo. All four look better than the NSX to me, but the NSX still looks good regardless of what car it sits next to. :)

5. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #30 Bullfighter, Feb 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I miss them all! :(

I need an 18-car garage.

Aesthetics are subjective. I don't think the NSX is an unattractive car, but when I see it near the Italian exotics -- even the exotics I'm not keen on -- it looks like the engineers determined the final lines. It looks properly buttoned down, not daring or naughty (like a Diablo, Countach or 308).

On the pre-360 Ferraris and pre-Gallardo Lambos, I always get the sense some Italian guy with a pencil was calling the shots. (Fioravanti did quite a few of the '70s/'80s designs, from the Daytona to the Boxer and 308/328 -- not sure about the 348/355.) Not so on the Acura, even though it borrows its lines heavily from the 328, but with a bubble-shaped greenhouse substituted for the Boxer/Dino/308/328 buttresses. Park an NSX next to a 308/328 and you'll understand. One's AutoCAD, one's Leonardo.

Frankly, the 911 has the same 'issue' - though I've had one and may have another someday. I remember bringing my own 993 to a gathering at Symbolic in San Diego and feeling rather out of place.

Sorry, Italians just somehow do these things best.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    #31 VTChris, Feb 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Never been much a fan of cabrio 911s. Widebody 911s (specifically 933TT and 993 C4) look fantastic. Coupes all the way! :cool:

8. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Nice. Is that your 912?

9. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005

You doggin my 912?

Or did I make it sound like it was my CGT? :confused:

This CGT belongs to Nasa, in case the plate wasn't a giveaway

10. rpps

rpps Formula 3

Aug 20, 2005
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Richard
    My take:

TSX side-profile, especially the c-pillar/rear door line.

7 series boot-lid, S class rear bumper/diffuser/exhaust.

Chunky chrome is sort of gimmicky IMHO.

I do happen to like the interior, it is not too bad; however, it is not much different from the current iteration.

11. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Try about 18.5 now.
    When I was HEAVILY into looking for a Honda Civic in November, almost nobody would go under 18.8.
    Out of about 24 prices quoted me, only 2 were under 18.8.
    My guess is they are dropping a bit in price since November, but not enough for me to think it's an awesome deal.

12. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando

Looks like a Mitsubishi Eclipse F-50 to me............

13. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
  14. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    1) I like Honda. They don't care what you want. They just make something and are all "take it or leave it".

2) The Acura brand is one sad chapter in the Honda history.

3) We need more Type R's!!

EOD.

15. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff

They DO make fun cars... they don't always bring them over. The Japan only Civic typeR 4 door is apparently brilliant. Race car sharp while a daily driver. We get the watered down version.

16. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell

A FWD car is only fun up to a point.........

Darrell.

17. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    We had a couple of MDX's. They had beautiful smooth free reving engines, well balanced suspension and as good a steering feel as such cars can have. Then we got the new model, supposedly the x5 cayenne beater. The engine had the refinement of a pushrod buick v6 and all strange intake noises at certain revs. The brakes were great and the car had grip. The interior for the driver felt cramped especialy for the feet. The ride was worse than atrocious either way too stiff or you pogoed with the shocks on soft. You know why, because to make it handle they put ultra stiff springs in, suspension technology of the 80's. The steering had that artificial stiffness to it, kinda like two giant springs for resistance in turns and zero feel for the road.

We got rid of the new Acura after 3 mos, still wish we had the old one. Personaly I still think hoda can make the best cars, they just have no design or product direction so their cars are becoming a comitee designed msimash of features and cues.

18. durango77

durango77 Rookie

Jul 5, 2006
    Puyallup WA
    I purchased a TSX for my wife in 2006. I think it is a great car. It comfortably sits four adults. Can be sporty if you want to drive it that way. My wife calls me a race car driver when I drive it. She should see how I drive it when she is not with me. I feel that the little motor has plenty of pep, good brakes. The thing I think Honda does better than any other cars that I have been in is how easy it is use the all of the cars functions, Nav, Radio, heat/ac controls. It is nothing like my mothers lexus wich confuses me and I can't find anything in that car. As far as a TSX goes i would recommend it to anyone.

19. DubaiRich

DubaiRich Karting

Aug 5, 2007
    Sterling, VA
    First thing I thought was "Mr. Bill"!!! (For those who remember)