HONDA PULL OUT OF F1, RED BULL QUITS & MANUFACTURERS QUESTION PARTICIPATION | Page 3 | FerrariChat

HONDA PULL OUT OF F1, RED BULL QUITS & MANUFACTURERS QUESTION PARTICIPATION

Discussion in 'F1' started by william, Dec 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I can well understand that ! I do long distances across Europe myself, and an EV would be totally unpractical to me.
    I am not sure if you can find recharging points everywhere anyway.

I also find that on new EVs, the constructors sacrifice range for power by fitting electric motors that are too big and use too much power.
    I don't need 380hp (BMW e-Tron), or 400hp (Jaguar I-Pace), or 500hp (Tesla S), but I want a range that is more than 250/300 miles.
    Power figures may be impressive on paper, but with speed restriction you can't use them.

Volvo, very intelligently, will in future limit all his vehicles to 110/115mph, but with extended range.

brian.s and Thomas Magnum like this.
  2. PerKr

PerKr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2007
    Mariestad, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Per Kristoffersson
    EV's are on the rise, thanks to government regulations. Unfortunately, I need more range than most manufacturers are willing to guarantee at a lower price and in a far better-looking package that actually excites me. Currently there is very little to save on having something like a Renault Zoe though as the battery lease pretty much equals fuel cost (for a comparable Clio) while the MSRP is much higher.

If these cars were to be raced, perhaps they would evolve quicker. Electric touring cars and electric GT.

william likes this.
  3. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I drive 700 miles one-way to visit my mother. I'd rather not make that a 2-3 day trip. Besides that, living in the western US, in a town that is 3.5 hours drive to the nearest Interstate highway, it is frequently 50 miles between gas stations, never mind charging stations, EVs are totally impractical. I can put 600 miles worth of diesel in my tank in 3 minutes. A typical EV would take hours for enough energy to give me half the range.

BMW.SauberF1Team and william like this.
  4. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Tesla Model 3 has a 300+ mile range, depending on configuration, and the SuperCharger stations recharge them at the rate of 1,000 miles per hour. So a complete recharge is just a bit over 20 minutes. I usually get a snack and a drink when I refuel my ICE vehicles, so I'm close to that already. Plus, I don't usually go 300 miles between stops. My BFF drove me around over 100 miles in his Model 3, and I loved it. It corners level because of the super low CG, which is a very interesting experience, and it accelerates like a bat out of hell. We're there, man.

DF1 likes this.
  5. PerKr

PerKr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2007
    Mariestad, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Per Kristoffersson
    We're getting there but the Tesla has pretty much been the only option and is about as exciting as a Mondeo while the cost has been quite high. But we're getting there.

william likes this.
  6. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

There are alternative to the Tesla. Audi e-Tron, Jaguar i-Pace or Mercedes EQC are already on the market.
    Volvo and BMW, plus Porsche are also working on EVs (Porsche Taycan).
    The purchase cost on an EV is higher than on a thermic car, but the running cost a lot lower too.
    It's the range and the recharging time they have to work on.

7. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Some simple questions to start: where are all of these electric vehicles (especially F1/E cars) going to get their power? And the road cars? Energy Density has been a defining issue and prevented electric cars from becoming mainstream for over 100 years. All of these new charging claims are great, but how are they going to be implemented and supported? And what happens when some fool contractor blows off a dig safe check and cuts the main line to the charging station? What do you do with the batteries when they wear out?