Honda S2000 CR | FerrariChat

Honda S2000 CR

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Sterling Sackey, May 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sterling Sackey

Sterling Sackey Formula 3
    Sponsor

#1 Sterling Sackey, May 30, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I was able to find this S2000 CR nearly in my backyard recently, with only 10,500 miles from new! Now safely in my care. :)

Apex Blue Pearl was the debut color for this stripped-out track model, with only 200 units produced in this color. Only 699 S2000 CR's were made as a whole, making them a future collector's item in the same realm as the Integra Type R to be sure. CR's have already sold privately for $50,000+.

I'm not marketing this car publicly at this point, but I wanted to share it here. I would let it go for the *right* price. ;)

Pictures: 2008 Honda S2000 CR (2211) | SW2 Heritage Cars
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Mondog1

Mondog1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2006
    Philly burbs
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Damn. I've been checking out S2k. The low mileage units I've see are around 75k miles and those are asking price of around 18-21k. I'm sure you'll get your $50k+ for it. They are special cars

3. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    An unmolested low-mileage example of the legendary Club Racer in the right livery 2008 Honda S2000 CR - Short Take Road Test - Car Reviews - Car and Driver is as rare as hen's teeth, and I daresay this one belongs in an appreciative enthusiast home!

699 examples is pretty rare no matter what make of sports car you're talking about, and the condition of this one needs to be seen to be appreciated.

4. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    that's the S2K holy grail :eek:

5. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
  6. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006
    Friend of mine has a Yellow Cr which he loves and his only complaint is the lack of a soft top for those rare occasions he gets caught in the rain,

7. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  8. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

If I remember correctly, that 1 of 1 was exported at some point to an Asian country. Likely sitting in a collection now, I hope! Which brings up an interesting point, the CR was made for the USA only because Uehara-san, the development chief responsible for the NSX, S2000, DC2 Type R, & DC5 Type R, wanted to thank the Honda fans in the United States for being the car's most ardent supporters (around 60,000 S2000s sold here). Apex Blue Pearl was the debut color for the CR because it was Uehara's favorite color.

Anyway, I have a friend who has a 2008 Grand Prix White CR "Delete" with only 5,000 miles. He paid a pretty penny for that one.

Of the 699 produced, I would say maybe half of those are left in stock condition, and half of those stock ones are semi-low miles or nice. It's a rare car, actually rarer than a USDM Integra Type R by a long shot!

9. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

You just sold one a couple months ago, same color.

10. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Great observation, that car had 33,000 miles and was a very nice example as well!

11. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

Here's a good visual tally on the S2000 CR's by color which shows both the a/C and radio models and the rarer "delete" model san a/c & radio. The Grand Prix white delete is indeed the rarest of the CR's, with only nine made and at least two destroyed in accidents.

How many of each color are there?
    Answer--> Apex Blue Pearl: 200 made (21 delete models)
    ............... Rio Yellow Pearl: 140 made (20 delete models)
    ............... Berlina Black: 269 made (10 delete models)
    ............... Grand Prix White: 90 made (8 delete models (2008) & 1 delete model (2009).
    ............... Total 699 total CR's (668 for 2008, 31 for 2009)

12. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I'm not looking to spend that kind of $$ on an S 2000, but they are nice. Did they have any other special edition models besides th CR?

Have been toying with a much less expensive fun open sports car for FL. Keep thinking TR6, Miata(just hate the stigma being over 55) and S2000., and maybe bite the bullet and just get a Boxster.

13. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Not in the USA to my knowledge. As Honda was winding down S2000 production, they made a Type S for the Japanese market which was basically a CR. Then for Europe, I believe, an Ultimate Edition that was Grand Prix White with a red interior and other body trim. I have no idea what the production numbers were for these cars.

As an aside, the Canadian market had a bunch of special colors not available in the USA. The most sought after are Moonrock and Imola Orange. I don't know if Canadian S2000s would meet US safety and emissions requirements, but it might be worth looking into to obtain one of the rarer S2000 colors.

Here is a reference for S2000 colors in various markets:
    Honda S2000 Color Info

14. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

All true info. The Type S was actually a toned-down version of the CR, with the same aero but less aggressive suspension, tires, and retaining the soft-top. The CR is equivalent to a Type R Honda in every way except for increased power (which they couldn't make happen on the S2000 because the engine was already at its limits to begin with).

15. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    And as those who supercharged the S2000 later found out, the differential is the next weakest link. Honda pretty much designed this car at the limits for almost everything.

16. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Took some new photos, see link in the OP!

17. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Super cool car, just bought some Michelin Pilot Supersports Friday for our 2005 S2000, god I love this car. Tires feel so good, I am ordering them for my F355. GLWS!

18. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    This is probably the best S2000 in the country, and will go for a very high price in my opinion. I'm sort of looking for exactly this car, but not quite as nice. The one you sold earlier was really more of what I was thinking since I put about 5,000 miles per year on my current S. I have put just over 40,000 'fun' miles on my car in the past 6 years, and it is dead nuts reliable. The engineering of these cars is as good as it gets. Good luck with the sale, it's a great car!

:)
    BT

19. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Thank you!

I'm willing to take in the low 40's for this car, which I think is a great value (and investment).

20. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Glad to see the S2K getting some love! I've got an 03 that I bought brand new and it is an all original no stories car and I still love driving it after 14 years and I've been very impressed with how well the car has held up my interior looks almost like the day I first got it, very good build quality.

21. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Absolutely, the only car with better build quality than the S2000 I've experienced is the NSX!

22. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor