HONDA Serious About F1 Test For Danica Patrick | Page 2 | FerrariChat

HONDA Serious About F1 Test For Danica Patrick

Discussion in 'F1' started by RP, May 1, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Wow look at the attention the 'possibility' of a test brings let alone a real test or even a drive. Imagine the attention that would get. You really do not want to generate publicity in F1 as it is not an entertainment business, it is sport in its purest form.

If you can't sense the sarcasm then I'll stop. It seems like lots of people here like to complain about the way things 'should' be rather than the way they are. Fact is Danica is a huge draw in a sport where your marketability is more important than how you do on the track. That said, her performances are in the at least upper half of the grid and are by no means an embarrasment by any metric. Seems like a lot of guys get pretty hot around the collar at the thought of a girl drving a race car. Fortunate for Danica it is this publicity that only helps to keep her racing. I say 'helps' because she is pretty good at what she does and many other racing drivers with better results were out of work for only knowing how to drive.

2. IanMac

IanMac Formula 3

Jul 26, 2006
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ian
    If I remember correctly there have been a couple of women driving in F1 over the years, although not very successfully.

3. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert C
    I respect her even more.

It doesn't say if she was referring to the Indy 500 or the USGP. Anyone know? I would like to see any F1 car doing the oval at Indy.

4. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    So Honda Racing is not really serious about winning....

5. modena2904

modena2904 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 6, 2007
    Ellicott City, MD
    Full Name:
    Eric
    IIRC, Sarah Fisher did a couple of demonstration laps at the USGP, I think in the McLaren. Maybe Danica was first choice, but then said no.

The demonstration laps were on the infield F1 course, not the oval. During the USGP weekends, the full oval was not used at all. (Although it did occur to me that it would have been fun to see an indycar on the oval at full chat as a demonstration.)

6. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    They didn't say anything about her driving for the team outside of being a test driver. What's wrong with that? They can't do much worse....; )