Honeymoon Recomendations | FerrariChat

Honeymoon Recomendations

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by Mbutner, Aug 20, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    Sorry for the non - Ferrari post. I'm a longtime member of the community and find that this can also be a great place for other advice regarding lifestyle, travel, food, etc.

My fiance and I are looking at Hawaii/ French Polynesia for honeymoon ideas. We are both active, want to have immediate access to the beach/ tranquility, but also have the option to go on ATV tours, hiking, snorkling, kayak, surfing, etc. We have outgrown our clubbing days and don't really care about night life. A couple drinks on the deck of our bungalow is good enough for us.

I am leaning toward Tahiti/ Moorea but she likes Hawaii since we are both Americans and English speakers. We like our creature comforts (A/C, TV in room, etc.)

Anyone have any positive experiences they can share regarding Hawaii (specific islands, resorts) or Tahiti, Fiji, etc?

2. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
  3. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    This is a great suggestion. I honeymooned there for a week and then another at the Manele Bay resort there which is by the beach. There are only the two resorts on Larrys island so why not try both!

If you are stuck on Hawaii I would consider the Four Seasons Hualalai too. It's really a slice of Heaven...very peaceful.

New Zealand would be my first choice too!

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I took my GF to the Four Seasons Maui. Wonderful place -- very romantic. You can eat outside day or night. Great beach, excellent service. Lots of outdoor and water things to do in Maui.

Kinda pricey!!!!!

5. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Any one of the Four Seasons in Hawaii, as well as the Fairmont in Maui are beautiful. They are perfect for a honeymoon.

6. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I'd stay out of the water for now as we have had a rash of shark attacks this year. The last one was on the Big Island over the weekend, and prior to that, one on Maui a week ago. The Maui victim lost her arm and is barely hanging on. We've had 8 shark attacks this year, with four in the past month.

Rash of attacks prompts study of Maui waters Hawaii News, Honolulu, Honolulu News, Sports, Editorial, Features, Travel and Business - Honolulu Star-Advertiser - Hawaii Newspaper

Rash of attacks prompts study of Maui waters

By Gary T. Kubota

POSTED: 01:30 a.m. HST, Aug 21, 2013
    LAST UPDATED: 02:45 a.m. HST, Aug 21, 2013

CINDY ELLEN RUSSELL / [email protected]
    At a press conference Tuesday, DLNR Chairperson William J. Aila Jr. spoke about a new shark tagging program which will be conducted in Maui starting in September. Also speaking at the press conference was University of Hawaii Institute of Marine Biology Assistant Researcher Carl Meyer.

A state-funded study to look at tiger shark movements around Maui is scheduled to begin next month in the wake of an alarming jump in shark attacks and the life-threatening injury of a visitor from Germany last week.

"We've seen an unprecedented spike," William Aila Jr., director of the state Department of Land and Natural Resources, said Tuesday.

The $186,000 two-year study will examine the behavior of tiger sharks on Maui compared with the other main Hawaiian Islands.

Aila, who announced details of the study at a news conference, extended prayers and well wishes to Jana Lutteropp, who lost an arm in an attack off White Rock in South Maui on Aug. 14.

The most recent incident, which put a Hawaii island 16-year-old in the hospital, was on Sunday.

Aila said going into the ocean is safe but that people should be cautious.

"We certainly don't recommend anyone swimming by themselves a mile from shore. We certainly don't recommend anyone swimming while injured," he said.

Aila said the prevailing theory for why there has been an increase in shark bites is that there are more people in the water and that almost 40 to 50 years have passed since shark-culling was in practice, "so we have a great number of tiger sharks that have been born and matured since then that are now roaming our waters."

Aila said more people and more sharks increase the potential for interaction. The number of attacks has varied in the last two decades, including years with none, he said.

In recent years there have been on average three or four incidents per year, with occasional spikes. However, he called this current increase unprecedented.

Aila said the state confirmed 10 attacks in 2012, the highest number ever recorded.

Since January there have been eight, including four in the last month. Four of those occurred on Maui, the state said.

Historically, October through December are the months when shark incidents increase.

"This is part of traditional Hawaiian knowledge, reinforced by our own statistics," Aila said. "So we urge people to be extra cautious and follow our suggestions for reducing the chances of being bit."

Carl Meyer, a Hawaii Institute of Marine Biology researcher, said sharks are known to swim to shore.

"I'd say that that's routine behavior for sharks," he said. "They're doing it all the time. It's just most of the time people don't see them. … Most of the time there's no interaction with people whatsoever."

The state said spikes in shark attacks occur worldwide and noted recent increases ranging from West Australia and Reunion Island in the Indian Ocean to Egypt and Brazil.

Aila said sharks play an important role in the marine ecosystem and that the ocean is their home.

"We're the visitors. Going into the ocean is a wilderness experience," he said. "There are animals out there that can hurt you."

7. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    Thanks for the recomendations! The shark thing is kinda scary!! I have a mild phobia of sharks anyway, so I'm not planning on open water swimming... more like snorkling in protected coves.

8. buzzpics

buzzpics Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2013
    Frisco Tx
    Personally my favorite island has been Big Island. LOTS of outdoorsy things to do. Not much in the way of clubs/crowded tourist places...and it's big enough you don't feel like you've done everything in a day or two. Personally, one of the best experiences I got out there was renting a harley street glide and going all over the island for a few days. Trip Adviser should have plenty of vacation rentals in the $100-$150/night range that will be more accommodating than a hotel suite.

And if its in budget, don't hesitate to island hop. Each island has its own charm, and its own interesting list of things to do. I lived on Oahu for 6 years, and still don't tire of it (I hate Waikiki though)

9. philS

philS Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2008
    Metrowest MA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    We did our honeymoon on Kauai. It was fantastic. Our cab driver told us it's for the "newly wed and practically dead."

10. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I'm in Maui now on my honeymoon. We are staying at that Westin - it's under renovation now, so kinda noisy during the day. I have tons of points to use up so I couldn't turn down a free stay.

Beautiful here, very romantic, countless outdoor activities, great selection of restaurants in a variety of price points, lots of shopping for the wife. I also find both the tourists and the staff here warm, friendly, attentative, and polite - which is the complete opposite to my experience in the USVI.

Went snorkeling today and all limbs are still attached. Saw 50+ sea turtles, eagle rays, dolphins, dog faced pufferfish, pipe fish, a beautiful variety of triggerfish, and some of the most amazing angelfish I have ever seen.

I see a nice mix of elderly, young, middle age, and families with kids of all ages. This isn't Florida during the winter months.

A wonderful place.

11. buzzpics

buzzpics Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2013
    Frisco Tx
    Be sure to check out Star Noodle (right up the street in Lahaina) and watch the sunrise over Haleakala. Road to Hana is a nice drive on a pretty day...but it will take ALL day.

12. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    We got married and honeymooned on Maui at the Kea Lani and had a great time. That said, adventure wise, it's gotta be the big island. Stay on the Kohala Coast (Plenty of choices) and explore. Best of both worlds.

13. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Go to Polli's in Makawao and have multiple margaritas! :)

14. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I've had multiples of everything if you know what I mean *elbow nudge*

15. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
  16. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    Longer flight and twice as expensive as Hawaii. IMO, not worth it. Hawaii is just so convenient...especially destinations with direct flights. I'd look at travel arrangements and then find a suitable resort after you decide on the destination. I'm probably in the minority, but I happen to love Waikiki Beach, especially the Royal Hawaiian. Want to get away? Rent a car and head to the north shore for a shave ice and some surfing. Otherwise, the pool and beach areas are private and uncrowded and unlike a secluded resort, you have limitless dining options.

17. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I love the entire island of Oahu, even Waipahu and Eva(although I would not honeymoon there ;) ). Waikiki gets a bad rap from some travel snobs, but it has it all and is easy to get away to quitter spots. And day trip island hops are easiest from Honolulu.