Hono/Waikiki Pub Crawl? | FerrariChat

Hono/Waikiki Pub Crawl?

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by M.James, Aug 12, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Anyone have some good recommendations for popular clubs/bars we should hit for a Bachelor Party in November? Its been awhile since my last trip downtown, and I don't remember what was open (besides The Dungeon behind Gussy LaMour's....LOL).

2. Saltie

Saltie Karting

Apr 23, 2008
    Silverdale, WA
    Full Name:
    Olin
    About a year and a half ago I would have probably been the guy to ask, but I've been staying away from down town for a while now. Too many close calls with the cops and too much alcohol consumption on a regular basis. I'll ask around at work and get back to you, though. I'm stationed on a submarine, so I'm sure plenty of people can give suggestions on the latest and greatest hang outs.
    What kind of clubs and bars are you looking for? What's the age range? As I recall, there are plenty of places that'll fit the needs of whatever you're in to.

3. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #3 Jedi, Aug 13, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
    Uncle Bo's!!!. Tourists haven't a clue it's there. GREAT food, GREAT night life. Valet parking,
    but it's a little dive-looking place on Kapahulu that is very very nice inside. You'd never know
    from the street what great grub is inside! Try the opakapaka chiang mai.... YUMMY! Walking
    distance from Waikiki (ok, fairly LONG walk... but I've done it many times from my hotel on Kuhio)
    Some of the HOTTEST women on Oahu I've seen here.... but pretty late (11 PM and later) :D

http://unclebosrestaurant.com/

If you like Chinese, try Yen Yen Chinese in a little strip mall in Kailua (about 45 minutes from
    Hono). Some of best Chinese I've had this side of Taiwan. I think it's on Keolu Drive....

[edit] yes, 1058 Keolu Drive #F, Kailua... BEAUTIFUL drive if you stay off the freeway and take
    the Likelike Highway (route 63) or the or the Pali Highway (WAY pretty) over the mountain.... or even better,
    go to the end of Waikiki and take the Kamehameha Highway through lots of little towns
    (Hawaii Kai, etc) and villages and lots of beautiful ocean views... many of which
    were common on Magnum PI. MUCH longer drive (many 25 MPH zones, school buses, etc.)
    but worth the drive...

Jedi

4. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Most of the guys are in their early 30s.....everyone's pretty classy and mature, we're not looking for sticky floors and teenagers. Tourist traps are fine, if the vibe is cool and the drinks are reasonable. Wherever we go, we won't be staying 'long' unless there's something happening. A GOOD Gentleman's club might be something to have in-memory if there's interest. Not a huge deal if there isn't....what's the local policy on cigars? Are they relegated to cigar-bars? One or two of those on-the-menu might be cool....dance-clubs with lots of gals in Club-wear and heels would also be a welcome stop on the tour.

5. Jedi

Jedi Moderator

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #5 Jedi, Aug 13, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
    Ah... put Zanzibar on your list. Not my style (I'm almost 50 :) ) - it's on Kuhio at Seaside - midway from the beach to the canal.
    LOTS of hot girls hang out outside - I've been in but it was just too loud and too young for my taste but would be perfect
    for you. And yes, it's a pretty high class place with a cover charge and an Egyptian styling. Right in the same neighborhood
    is Scruples Beach Club - cheaper too. But not as classy as Zanzibar. But just cruise down Kalakaua Ave on Waikiki - there
    are zillions of places to get a beer. You won't have a shortage of choices, and most are walking distance if you want to
    just ditch the car. I don't do strip clubs so can't help you on that one.

Oh, and one important piece of advice - if you're planning on a hotel in Waikiki, MAKE CERTAIN they will have
    parking!! Many of the hotels have 90 rooms and 20 parking spaces! A lot of the nicer ones have Valet parking,
    but expect to pay at least $24 a day. And 'free' internet is about as rare as snow in Waikiki. None of the hotels
    offer it free - $9.99 a day is typical. For a hotel recommendation, I always stay at the Aston Pacific Monarch Hotel
    on Kuhio. HUGE parking garage ($12 a day), with 2-way street access onto Kuhio, which is a great street to
    be on for easy in and out access. Ask for a high (30th floor) CORNER room with beach view, and you will have a big balcony
    and table for cigars :D Nice pool up on the roof, with great views. I've stayed in over a dozen hotels in Waikiki
    (I travel to Hono 3-4 times a year on business) and the Pacific Monarch is the very best value I've ever found,
    in one of the best possible locations. (Only the CORNER rooms have balconies - the side rooms have them, but
    they're very long and only 2 feet deep - you can barely fit a chair on them)

As far as cigar bars, the only one I've been to is L'Italiano on Ala Moana Blvd. But Hawaii is cracking down on ANY indoor smoking
    (there are now zero 'smoking rooms' in hotels) and I haven't been to L'Italiano recently so I would highly suspect they've shut
    down the cigar bar. You may be out of luck.

Jedi

6. Saltie

Saltie Karting

Apr 23, 2008
    Silverdale, WA
    Full Name:
    Olin
    Deja Vu was the nicest strip club in town until they closed down a few years back. Now the closest thing would be 939 across the street and down a couple blocks from WalMart (939 Keeaumoku St). It's usually more of a gentleman's club than a strip club, but sometimes that's not the case. There's also Club Fem Nu, which is very popular and has a better selection, but isn't as much of a gentleman's club. A lot of people seem to like Rock Za, but it's a little too loud and the girls are way too pushy for my taste. I don't know where to go for a lap dance anymore. Used to be Centerfolds, but they recently lost their liquor license and shut down.
    For most gentleman's clubs around, you'll either have to call ahead for reservations, or show up a little early (9:00 to 10:00). My recommendation would be 939.

There are a few bars that are doing an active protest to the non-smoking laws, but I don't know about cigars.

With most of the guys being in their early 30's, I'll assume you're more interested in enjoying a good beer than wasting the night by getting hammered early. If that's the case, the Yard House on Lewers has well over a hundred beers on tap. The food is pretty good, too. That may be a good place to get started. A little later, if it's your scene, Nashville's is a popular country bar with stiff drinks and pool tables. Jedi's right, there are zillions of places to grab a beer. I still need to talk to some people from work for some more specific places. I'll get back to you with more later.

7. GTVeloce

GTVeloce Karting

Jul 19, 2009
    Kauai Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    In the past I've enjoyed the bars and restaurants at the Aloha Tower Marketplace in Waikiki. It's built on a pier; lots of outside dining and places to have a drink. It caters to tourists but locals go there early evening for the pupus (bar snacks). In general this area is better for early evening dinner and drinks rather than later. For later, follow the crowd!

8. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Girls, drinks, music, cigars! The town is full of girls and drinks and music. I don't know about cigars. There used to be a place for cigars in the Nauru Tower, but I think that it is gone.

For a great combination of all of the above, you are years too late. There used to be a club on Kaheka Street that had a very talented young lady that smoked a cigar with her...ummm, well, she didn't smoke it with her mouth. The lights would dim a bit, the lady would place the cigar and her abdominal muscles would spasm, causing the tip of the cigar to glow. She would then withdraw the cigar and "exhale" the smoke.

This was great for mainland visitors that I felt could stand something a little exotic. Punchbowl, The Arizona Memorial, The Pali and Waimea Bay were all terrific, but what they really talked about was the lady with the cigar......;>)

9. Jedi

Jedi Moderator

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave

Ooooo... I really didn't need to picture that :D