Honolulu visit May 2010 | FerrariChat

Honolulu visit May 2010

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by vegas1, Jan 14, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vegas1

vegas1 F1 Rookie

Jul 28, 2004
    Australia
    Hi guys. I'm from the land down under (Australia) and own a red, late 1993 model 348tb. My son and I are contemplating visiting Honolulu for 4 days from 10 to 14 May 2010. I've visited Honolulu in 1974 but assume things have changed a lot since then (been to the US twice before and love the place and people).

I am posting early to seek the Honolulu Ferrari fraternity's views on places to go - things to do, things to avoid, et al. Being early in the week for my visit, I presume I will miss any weekend Ferrari events.

2. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    G'day

An early welcome to Honolulu to you. Car events are pretty infrequent here, and Ferrari specific events even more so. There is a group that does get together for a drive from time to time. I am not part of that group, but I am quite certain that the events are all on the weekend. There is a general automotive get together that has been meeting the second Tuesday of the month. That would fall on May 11. It is a lunch meeting at the Waikiki Yacht Club. I have not received their e-mail notices for a couple of months now, so some more checking up is in order.

You are so right about things changing!! Since 1974, the changes are dramatic. Depending on your interests, there is a wide variety of things to do on this island. I would be happy to offer what input I can.You would be welcome to a tour of my "Empire", of course, that would consume 4 or 5 minutes of your vacation time...;>)

3. jheppner

jheppner Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    NY
    Honolulu is pretty rough outside of waikiki. I stayed for a summer back in 2007 playing baseball. The north shore is great and visit Turtle Bay if you can but not all of hawaii is paradise. Waikiki is like a mini NYC and expect to spend a bunch there. Id say spend a day or two on another island as well such as Maui or Kauai.

My to do list would include:
    -Snorkel Hunama Bay
    -Golf Turtle Bay
    -Eat at least once at Cheeseburger Paradise in Waikiki
    -Attend a Luau (I did one at the big pink hotel i forget its name, Royal Hawaiian maybe?)...was "touristed" down but was still a great time
    -Visit Mockapu(sp?) beach...unbelievable scenery
    -Go to Sandys beach at least once because the waves are unreal in the summer

Dont:
    -Go anywhere alone. If you look like a mainland american some tend not to like us very much
    -Venture into honolulu north of waikiki unless your just passing through in a vehicle
    -EVER leave anything unattended on the beach even to go into the water with someone. My group had at least 10 backpacks stolen right in broad daylight.
    -Stay in the water if you see a sea turtle...enjoy it for a second and get out because sharks are usually right there with the turtle. From what natives told me the sharks hunt turtles and are usually not very far behind them

-----

Have fun man Hawaii is a blast.

4. vegas1

vegas1 F1 Rookie

Jul 28, 2004
    Australia
    Thanks for the info.

By the way - what is your "Empire" ?

5. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi

"Empire" indeed!! In case it wasn't obvious, tongue was firmly in cheek on this one. I have a very small, one man repair shop. I do British and Italian cars. Change is a constant, but sometimes there are some interesting cars around. Besides the customer cars, I have some of my own projects around. It is a varied and eclectic bunch.

Beyond the immediate workplace, there are some places to eat, places to get a good cup of coffee, and some sights to see and some places of historical interest.

6. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

I'll be in Hawaii from February 9-16 with my girl. Looking forward to it!

Waikiki, btw

7. vegas1

vegas1 F1 Rookie

Jul 28, 2004
    Australia
    Besides the Ferrari 348, I also own a 1991 Jaguar XJS Convertible.. I've owned and loved Jags for 30 years. Is your "Empire" near Waikiki. If so I will look you up when there.

8. vegas1

vegas1 F1 Rookie

Jul 28, 2004
    Australia
    Let us know what you get up to.

9. BLAMPEE

Um...I don't understand the question! LOL

10. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi

BLAMPEE and vegas1 we all thank you for coming to visit. The visitor industry (and almost everyone else) is going through some tough times now. I am very close to Waikiki and you would be welcome to stop by and say "Hello". If you would care to, send me a PM when the time is near.

Aloha

11. vegas1

vegas1 F1 Rookie

Jul 28, 2004
    Australia
    Shall do.

12. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    Just bought my tickets for a week trip to Waikiki, staying at the Outrigger on Waikiki beach right beside the Royal Hawaiian, looking forward to visiting again, last time there was in 91.

I heard that there is a cars and coffee on Sat at pier38 is this correct ?

13. BLAMPEE

Roberto, when are you going??? I"m staying at the Hilton Hawaiian Garden Feb 9-16.

14. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    Damn I wish I was going so quick, I arrive March 2nd to bad would of bought you a drink at Dukes ;)

Make sure you post pics of your trip.

15. BLAMPEE

Will do! :D

16. vegas1

vegas1 F1 Rookie

Jul 28, 2004
    Australia
    I'm pretty sure we are staying at the Outrigger on the beach as well. I stayed at Outrigger East on my first Waikiki visit a number of years ago. Not sure if the Outrigger is the same hotel. I have booked an oceanview room. It will be appreciated if you can post a report on your stay at the Outrigger (and Honolulu) when you return from your trip. Have a great time while there. By the way - your 348 looks mean and cool. I have a tb hard top 348, red like yours.

17. yronZFF

yronZFF Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2009
    FIVE-O
    Full Name:
    Ron
    BTW, when you guys come to Honolulu, check out JN Exotics on Kapiolani Blvd.
    They're the local Ferrari/Lambo/Maserati dealership. Always Ferraris and Gallardos there. A week ago, they had several F430s (red, white and silver) and Gallardos (lime green and black).
    They also flew in a race type Maserati (was still there early Jan) that they sold to someone locally for somewhere between 1M to 1.2M (yes million)!

Thanks for coming and enjoy your stay!

18. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    As others have said, Honolulu is akin to NYC, albeit a bit warmer and nicer beaches :)

Definitely hit La Mer restaurant in the Halekulani Hotel. The Hotel itself is throwback to a forgotten era - really nice place.

If you can island hop - Maui is really my family's favorite destination. Just renewed wedding vows with my wife and children this past year while there. Enjoy it!

19. yronZFF

yronZFF Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2009
    FIVE-O
    Full Name:
    Ron
    BTW, the Maserati is an MC12.

20. BLAMPEE

Looking for top-notch seafood restaurant for Valentine's Day dinner. Anyone got any ideas? :)

21. yronZFF

yronZFF Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2009
    FIVE-O
    Full Name:
    Ron
    John Dominis - good food/window table-super view (they're closing down in April 2010 I think)

Not necessarily seafood, but just great restaurants:

La Mer at Halekulani - great food/great view (long sleeve shirt or jacket required)
    Hoku's at Kahala Hotel - great food/great view
    Alan Wongs-King St. - great food/absolutely NO view

Better make reservations NOW.
    I'm actually going to Roy's Hawaii Kai (close to home-good food but a little crowded) and I made my reservations 1st week in January!

22. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I have NEVER gone wrong at Roy's!

23. yronZFF

yronZFF Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2009
    FIVE-O
    Full Name:
    Ron
    That's great to hear!
    Roy's Honolulu (Hawaii Kai) was his 1st restaurant and we often stop by for cocktails and pupus on Fridays (although not with my F355 - parking lot is too crowded).
    The one in Waikiki is across the street from Halekulani Hotel if anyone is interested.

24. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    #24 DennisForza, Feb 4, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
    The original in Hawaii Kai was my "couldn"t go wrong" date in the early 90's. ;) I drove my Acapulco Edition VW Thing there. The Waikiki location did not yet exist, but I think it was Valintine's '92 that I spent over a great meal with a really nice girl there, then got a flat tire on teh way home. :D

25. yronZFF

yronZFF Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2009
    FIVE-O
    Full Name:
    Ron
    From the "Thing" to an F-car ... you're moving uppp!
    But at least the Thing probably had a spare tire (not like my F355)!