Hood Shock Replacement | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Hood Shock Replacement

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by rsqrd308, Oct 27, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 66MK

66MK Karting

Nov 1, 2020
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
  2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Thanks for the update on the fitment.

Glad it worked for you, and also thanks for the fitment information. If you've still got the original 61496700 ones that came off your early TR, is there a Sach/Stabilus part number shown on them and/or a marking showing "XXXN" (the force)? Since they seem/are so physically similar to the later TR ones, I guess the force is the only thing different (the later stock 61571600 TR front bonnet gas springs are 330N force).

3. 66MK

66MK Karting

Nov 1, 2020
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    It looks as though the originals are not the originals as 07/2008 looks suspiciously like a date and they are only 290N. The wrong Mondial ones are 295 so no wonder they faired little better!

At your suggestion I’ll be keeping the OEM bonnet prop as per picture!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

turbo-joe likes this.
  4. 66MK

66MK Karting

Nov 1, 2020
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Typo there - 280N !!

5. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Fwiw I replaced the struts just now on my ‘87 with the ricambi number listed earlier. Easy install (don’t all TR’s have the driver’s (left) side access panel for the condenser?) without removing the fog light. 30min job.

new struts are way firmer and more positive than old worn out ones. The old ones were same oem as the new Ricambi ones but differwnt part number. Not likely to have been original for sure.

6. 66MK

66MK Karting

Nov 1, 2020
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    " (don’t all TR’s have the driver’s (left) side access panel for the condenser?)"

For sure my 1985 RHD UK Spec Mono/Mono's doesn't. :(

7. KatMan

KatMan Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Stan K
    As I said earlier on this thread, my 86 TR did not have left side access.

66MK likes this.
  8. Bucci

Bucci Karting

Jan 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mark Bucci
    So what is the right part for 1990 Testarossa? Just got new from Ferparts and they don’t hold up the front lid.

9. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #59 Steve Magnusson, Jan 30, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2022
    Do a search using the stock Ferrari PN "61571600" for prior threads like this:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/tr-hood-struts.517911

The short answer is that Rifledriver recommends using 60563300 from the Mondial luggage compartment which fits without modification and has a nominal higher force (460 N vs 330 N) so, if it's lost a little force by the time you receive it, it still works well (unlike the stock part which has very little margin to lose any force). My notes have 60563300 = Sachs SG437005-W and may be available from LiftSupportsDepot.com if you want to try to source it more directly.

10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #60 Rifledriver, Jan 30, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2022

I have had those in our Testarossa for over 10 years and they still hold the trunk lid up.

I just remembered I installed them 12 years ago.

11. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    And you may never have to replace them again now that you're in TX ;). When I was in CO, I'd have to replace the stock ones, or even the uprated Balkamp ones, about every 2 years. Here in TX, the Balkamp ones that were on my TR when we moved here 14 years ago are still working fine. I can only think that the warmer/wetter air here in TX keeps the seals in better working order than the cold/dry air of CO.

12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Where I lived in California the weather was not terribly different. Hotter peak temperatures but lower average temps. A little lower humidity. The first 5 years of those struts was in California.

In your case I wonder if atmospheric pressure was a factor.

13. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Steve,

Just as a data point... I installed a set of front and rear clam struts (from LS technologies) on my Boxer in 2006 (16 years ago) and they still work perfectly. I live in an area with temps that range from -40F (or colder) to over 100F (a week or two at most) with humidity levels as low as 17% (as it is now) to around 60%. At times my Boxer is exposed to the temps directly (but sheltered without heat or AC), but most times the car is in an area with temps as low as 40F, but still with low humidity.

There is no doubt that temps affect the expansion and contraction of the various strut components and seals, but I think the real issue is seal composition and how well it is lubricated. My strut replacements were made/customized for my application and so they used the latest and greatest seals they had + made some internal changes (valving, etc) to accommodate improved functionality (my struts have two "speeds"... max force upon opening and then mid opening force/speed is reduced to limit max extension "snap") and obviously reliability. As to cost... I think they were around $80 per strut and so were not dramatically more expensive that some after market struts.

Cheers,

Sam

14. Bucci

Bucci Karting

Jan 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mark Bucci
    Tks so bottom line Mondial 60563300 F part number.

15. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    Mondial has been working great on mine. Only issue is the ends were a teensy bit thicker so I couldn’t get the lower cotter pins back through.

16. Bucci

Bucci Karting

Jan 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mark Bucci
    Good to know. Will dry run maybe grind. Tks

17. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Variety is the spice of life.

Best not to re-use a cotter pin.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I have to replace the front and the rear hood studs every 2-3 years :(
    stabilo
    can not found other in germany

19. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Surely in Germany they sell Mondial parts?

20. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    you mean parts from ferrari mondial or is there also a manufacturer called mondial?

21. Bucci

Bucci Karting

Jan 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mark Bucci
    Parts not manuf

22. Bucci

Bucci Karting

Jan 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mark Bucci
    I’ve ordered the Mondial struts. Will let you know.

23. TJsBeer

TJsBeer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 10, 2016
    Valley Forge, PA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Miller
    Thanks to this incredible thread I was able to do all four struts on my 86 Euro.
    From Lift Supports Depot
    Stabilus SG402012 for the fronts (110lbs force), $19.97
    Stabilus SG337001 for the rears (72lbs force), $59.95
    I do have an access panel on the left side.
    And I used hair-pin clips instead of cotter pins.
    A bit of a fiddly job, but definitely doable and well worth it.
    Thank you F-Chatters!

Veedub00, MaseratiMike and 66MK like this.
  24. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime Formula Junior

May 10, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Tom
    This is a great thread. I purchased the stronger Mondial struts for the front and Stabilus for the rear engine cover. I followed the directions above to access both sides. I had to overcome one challenge that was addressed above but did not work for me. I could not get the front struts on the pin by pushing the hood more open and was afraid something might bend if i tried any harder. In the pic below, it looks like the strut hole is .250 inches away from pin but it is really about 3/16 inch away out of alignment. It was the same with the struts I took out as well. Rather than keep pushing on the hood, I cut a piece of wood (white) Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login and set it between strut and car frame. Then using a large screw driver I gently levered it onto the pin..very easy. Wood block was different length for each side. I don’t know if this is specific to my car but there was no way for me to compress the Image Unavailable, Please Login strut without removing the lights and I did not want to do that.

AHudson likes this.
  25. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    And for what it is worth the very first edition TR parts book shows an access panel on the left side above the AC condenser. I was working in a dealer when the TR was introduced and have never seen a TR without this removable panel. The carpet needs to be moved back clear to the edges of this panel to see the fastening bolts.