hood shocks | FerrariChat

hood shocks

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by bundas, Feb 11, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    source. parts house source too strong at 90 lbs.

2. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    all well here. still waiting on the part you sent. I am sending the stalk controls switch off because the turn signals are not consistent. I think I ask you about a good set. I need a, 'plug in board' that is attached to the steering column where all the wires hook up. NJB destroyed mine. when we took the car off the trailer the wire group was lying on the floor. do you have a spare? do you have the new outside mirrors on my car? is the new window gasket installed. snowing? any road time since last week? did you send me a picture of the heater control valve?

3. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #4 samsaprunoff, Mar 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good day All,

This is just a follow up post...

My 365 Struts were knackered and so I sent mine off to LS technologies. I originally worked with them about 9 years ago on my Boxer struts and found them to be excellent and great value. This time was no exception.

Sadly, my 365 struts could not be refilled and so Nolan made up a set that looks very close to OEM (see pics... top strut is the new one). The only thing I will need to do is to replicate the original silkscreening... once applied the "new" struts will be very difficult to distinguish from the originals.

Pricing for the struts were $67.50 CAN each (or about $54 USD) + shipping... with a turn around time of about 4 days.

Cheers,

Sam
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. rrbnut

rrbnut Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2015
    Carlsbad San Diego
    Full Name:
    Klaus Reichardt
  5. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Great price if they fit and work okay! Of course, being British made, I wonder if they will cause the electrical system to get wonky? ;)

Favorite bumper stickers for British Cars:

All of the parts falling off of this car are of the highest quality British craftsmanship!

Never buy a race car that you can't push up hill!

6. vecchio59

vecchio59 Karting

Nov 25, 2011
    Savona, NW Italy
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Does anybody know if they fit on 365 ? Mine are gone 😞

7. rrbnut

rrbnut Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2015
    Carlsbad San Diego
    Full Name:
    Klaus Reichardt
    great bumper sticker!!

8. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Klaus,

If you are able could you take some pics of them when you get them ? I ask, as I would be curious as to what the mounting ends look like. I have heard that some of the 400 series cars have the "ball" type of ends, whereas, my 365 clearly has the shaft style.

Secondly, can you verify if the shock has a 2-stage opening function? What I mean by this is that the LS struts first start with maximum force and accelerate to about midpoint where it then starts to decelerate until full extension. The result is that the bonnet lifts easily at first but then gently fully opens the bonnet... effectively the process minimizes any "snapping" (over overshoot in engineering terms) at full extension... the result is less stress on the entire assembly.

Cheers,

Sam

9. ricar116

ricar116 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Rick Carr
    Lucas....The prince of darkness
    Lucas.... The inventor of the intermittent wipers

10. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    If they are British they will last longer if you get a little pot of straight weight gear oil and apply lube as needed or every 6000km. The excess lube also protect your AC inlet tubes from corrosion.

11. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Lucas headlights have three operating positions: Off, Dim and Flicker!

12. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    #13 Arvid, Mar 6, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
    A fellow FC member kindly helped me with these : 9416K22 and 6465K27 from McMaster-Carr. Search "Bonnet lift specs" on this forum for more info.

A

Schumi likes this.
  13. rrbnut

rrbnut Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2015
    Carlsbad San Diego
    Full Name:
    Klaus Reichardt
    Sam, will be glad to

14. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    I just this very minute ordered the same set of replacements from LS Technologies. Same units that Sam got. I'll retain the originals for posterity. By the way, they informed me that they install 33lbs each on the rebuilds, if this is of any help.
    Thank all of you for all your wonderful research. Jq.

15. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Just saw this post. Forty years ago as my wife and I drove from Norfolk Hotel in Nairobi to dinner, we read on rear overrider of Jaguar Mark II: "anything falling from this vehicle is of finest English manufacture"

P.S. and far more important, I am looking for two struts for my 412. Anyone?

16. Tojo

Tojo Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2002
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I'm glad this thread popped up today. I've found it very informative and useful. Hey Sam, I was just wondering how you went about replicating the silk screening. I'm having a good think about ordering these, so would like to do the same to replicate originality as closely as possible. Cheers

17. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Tim,

I did not undertake to replace the original silkscreening on the replacement blocks. This is a project (one of gazillion) for another day. However, I have kept the originals with a relatively good silkscreen so that I could duplicate it ...some day ...

Cheers,

Sam

18. Tojo

Tojo Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2002
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Haha, totally understandable Sam. Life gets busy..... Maybe I'll beat you to it, but first I need to find some struts, and put the rest of the car together first!

19. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    And here is the weirdest: I got a pair from LS Technologies, then tried my hood again and was able to close it; the pressure was significantly higher than in those of my former 412, leading me to believe that they were locked. Anyone need a new pair from LS? :)

20. Dazanz

Dazanz Karting

Jan 24, 2015
    New Zealand (Queenstown)
    Full Name:
    Daren
    Is there any other contacts for a supplier of hood gas struts. LS technologies isn't responding to my email requests.
    Wanted 365 GT4 2+2 gas struts that have 2 stage opening function

21. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Apparently unobtanium.

Mine are being rebuilt as standard single shot units.