Hoosier tyres (Tires = USA) | FerrariChat

Hoosier tyres (Tires = USA)

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by vanimal, Nov 13, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vanimal

vanimal Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Vaughan
    Let me start by saying this is not meant to be confrontational or anything, BUT, I read a lot about Hoosier tyres being the ultimate track tool etc. here and was wondering how come I have never heard of them before? I am obviously from Europe and have never heard of them in F1 or any other world staged series. Are these tyres in fact that great or are they purely supplied to the USA as (lets keep it local) mindset? Has anyone compared these tyres to the offerings from Bridgestone, Michilen, Dunlop etc?

2. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    vanimal,

If you haven't found their web site yet: Hoosier Tire

They're made in Lakeville Indiana, USA (about an hour and a half from me). As their web site shows, Hoosier builds tires for many different types of competion, and seeing their market is North America, lots of applications for circle track racers. They made a huge impact on NASCAR in the nineties, going up against Goodyear in a tire war, which they ultimately pulled out of.

The specific tire you've heard so much about is Hoosier's R3SO3 radial 'DOT approved' race tire, originally modeled after the infamous NASCAR radial slick.

The RSO3 is a fantasticly fast tire, lighter than most competitors, on the pricey side compared to others, and some say it doesn't heat cycle as well. But if you want to run fast, and are required to run a race tire that somewhat mimics the tread of a true road tire (D.O.T. approved), the Hoosier is the one to buy.

HMMV

Information on Export to the UK: Hoosier Tire International Sales

Best regards,

Rob Schermerhorn

Ps, do a search in the old archives here for more social proof.