Horner: democracy in F1: “bad” | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Horner: democracy in F1: “bad”

Discussion in 'F1' started by TheMayor, Feb 6, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Why Did Porsche Switch to Turbocharged Engines in the 911?
    If you are an avid fan of the Porsche 911, then you probably were a bit shocked to see that many of the models are now utilizing turbocharged motors for 2017, as opposed to the more familiar naturally aspirated engines of the past. We have been asked countless times here at Loeber Motors, “Why did Porsche switch to turbocharged engines in the 911?” Here is your answer.

Improved Performance, Better Efficiency
    In today’s world, it isn’t about who can simply make the fastest vehicle and the most powerful engine. It is also important for manufacturer’s to try and make their engines as efficient and eco-friendly as possible, while still fulfilling customers’ needs. That is exactly what Porsche is doing with the new turbocharged engines in the 2017 911 models. These motors even offer more efficiency and torque than the previous engines, while also being more efficient.

One example of this can be found in the 2017 Porsche 911 Carrera. This model is now powered by a 3.0-liter twin-turbo flat six engine that produces 370 horsepower and 331 lb-ft of torque. This is actually a +20 horsepower increase and a +44 lb.-ft of torque increase. Now, drivers will be able to enjoy this power longer in between fill-ups, thanks to the sports car’s ability to achieve up to 30 mpg on the highway and 22 mpg in the city! And if all of this information wasn’t enough, the 911 Carrera is now two-tenths of a second faster than the previous model in the zero-to-sixty sprint and has a 4 mph increase in top speed.

2. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State

What does where I live have to do with anything and why is what I wrote strange?

I'm very familiar with all of the Porsche offerings. I don't really care what they do with their basic commuter vehicles, a turbo does make sense for some of those. Your article is what the corporate people say to the general public to make it sound like they're getting a better product with a turbo, when in reality, like I have said more than once, is due to regulations that have forced them to change. But since they sell so many cars overall the GT cars make up only a small percentage, which allows them to stay NA.

As I wrote earlier and what you may not know unless you are fan of the Porsche GT cars is that, the GT3 and Gt3 RS have stayed NA, and will do so as long as possible.

http://www.thedrive.com/news/18572/porsche-will-keep-the-911-gt3-naturally-aspirated-for-as-long-as-we-can

Speaking to Australia's Drive (no relation), Porsche GT motorsport boss Dr. Frank-Steffen Walliser refuted previous media reports of the next-generation "992" GT3 going turbocharged and PDK-only. "A normally aspirated engine still fits a sports car," Walliser told Drive. "You cannot achieve the same with a turbocharged engine."

Walliser added that the industry-wide shift towards forced induction "is mainly driven by emissions regulations" and that special Porsches like the GT3 will remain turbo-less for as long as said regulations will allow. "The uniqueness comes from the normally aspirated engine," said Walliser said. "As long as we can do it, we will do it."

The Porsche RSR that races TODAY still has a NA engine. And it sounds fantastic in person!

Bas, 375+, stavura and 2 others like this.
  3. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Global warming can never be cured by turbos..... the only way of doing it is to stop the second and third world countries emissions, and that means giving them all nuclear power. Since the beardy enviro-nuts won’t let even the best countries have nuclear without a song and dance, and the fact that if we give nuclear power to some of the horrible countries around the world they will likely try to make a bomb out of it, that isn’t going to happen anyway.

It’s a cycle the world goes through, why do we have to think man is above the course of nature when Mother Earth decides she wants her planet back?

Drive your cars, enjoy them, switch off those stupid stop/start buttons.... they will screw up your car long before the ice caps are gone

Finlander, Bas, stavura and 1 other person like this.
  4. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

What have street 911's got to do with Formula 1 ?

F1 is about the pinnacle of excitement and entertainment in motorsport.

The VK is more advanced and exciting than the current F1 hybrids.

Street beetles with blowers are not going to save the planet, or F1.

daytona355 and Bas like this.
  5. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Porsche has been a pioneer in turbo, since the 70s, and well before they were " forced by emissions regulations" that didn't exist then.

They saw the huge advantage offered by forced induction as outlined by the article, and yes turbo gibe another life to the ICE by allowing them to meet ever stringent régulations.

The GT3 is the last atmo in their range, and kept not only to please some customers, but because its racing derivative benefits from a break in competition in the GT3 and GTE categories. I have no illusion that Porsche would switch to turbo on the GT3 if the"Balance of Power" advantage was lost through new rules.

6. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    The perfect compliment to my morning espresso on a snowy morning. Thanks for posting!

daytona355, Finlander and Bas like this.
  7. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    You are right! F-1 has always had 1-3 top teams and then the rest some climb up like Williams and some collapse like BRM.... the issue with F-1 is that there is no going back so if we are going to have 3 teams and 6 cars then let’s have the best that can be produced real technical. Powerhouses.... that showcase technology. I think you will bring in more constructors and sponsors and money that way.... F1 is too restrictive and limiting today. In a phrase it’s too safe!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

william likes this.