Horrible Experience with Norwood Autocraft! Beware of Bob Norwood | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Horrible Experience with Norwood Autocraft! Beware of Bob Norwood

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Schulz308, Sep 1, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I'd go talk to the Texas attorney general or sue to complete the deal.

2. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Some may think it's wrong that the internet can destroy a reputation in no time and that bad deals and poor business decisions should not be outed like this. However, such are the times, and looking at it from the other side of the fence the great thing about the internet is that those who conduct business in a less than admirable way shall we say, are brought into broad daylight.

Mr. Norwood and Mr. Hale could have ended this on a high note - unfortunately they chose not to and ended up looking rather arrogant and selfish in the process.

The pendulum swings both ways...

3. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    For 110K ?
    Right....
    Real wheels are probably worth that.

Well now that the world sees it chances are that bridge is toast.

4. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    The beauty of this thread is I don't think their reputation took a hit until Norwood and his employee chimed in. They did it to themselves.

Benternet likes this.
  5. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    They actually found a set of real wheels for him for $15k :) and offered to discount car by $10k, making the total $115k with real wheels, if I understood correctly.

6. Midnight Oil

Midnight Oil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 29, 2006
    It's over, have some self respect and give the guy his 2k back. Total scum bag move not to.

7. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    If I, and an employee, take a Sunday off because of someone else's F'up (Hitting the BIN without having his act together), then I would expect to be compensated.
    How much is negotiable.
    Definitely not "Sorry".

BTW I run a business and have given back "Non-refundable" deposits when life happens (layoffs for example).
    I always try to put myself in the buyer's shoes.
    In return I expect the same.

8. F404ME

F404ME Rookie

Sep 2, 2016
    USA
    It will be interesting to see how quick PayPal handles this claim. It will be embarrassing to Bob when PayPal sides with the Buyer. I think if Bob gave back the money before PayPal forced his hand, that it would look better for Bob... But either way Bob looks like a dishonest Seller. I have a feeling potential Buyers will double check anything Bob is selling in the future...

9. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    If this deal was originated on eBay Motors, then it is nonbinding.

eBay clearly indicates there is no legal agreement in automotive or real estate purchases that begin via their site, as they can't navigate all the local ordinances involved in same.

PayPal will refund the deposit, once it is established that no goods were exchanged.

The most eBay Motors (specifically "Motors") offers sellers for nonconsumated deals is the opportunity to relist the item.

10. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    When your business includes a LOT of sales all over the US, then meeting someone on a Sunday can hardly be going out of the way. Most people don't have the luxury to take off work and travel mid-week. Sunday hours are a cost of the type of business he's running. Sunday's aren't sacred. If you want to do business with a national set of clientele, then you can't have corporate office hours.

BTW I run a business and work every day.

11. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    The buyer deposit should be returned, with an apology. In a frothy exotic market, any misrepresentations, even if unintentional, is just not cool. I agree with others in that I am always skeptical of the internet debates, where it is hard to know the whole story, but the seller responses here tell me where source of the problem was. Make it right and move on.

12. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #112 It's Ross, Sep 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Norwood, Refund his money and mitigate the damage to your reputation.
    Having said that I think buyer failed to perform due diligence but rather took you at your word, ostensibly because of reputation.
    You've not incurred any significant expense or even inconvenience to even remotely justify keeping this fellow's money.
    don't be this guy
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Keeping a deposit that was agreed to be refundable (fact here) is slimy. Keeping it when you say you sold the car to someone else (also a fact here) is both slimy and illegal.

So...slimy and illegal behavior. All for $2000? I guess we know the price of your reputation!

Doesn't matter if the would-be buyer wasted your time. Its your business. You have to put time into it. Sometimes that time is rewarded with profit. Sometimes your time is sunk and not rewarded with profit. Not every person that you interact with buys something from you (in every business).

14. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I wouldn't say he is a dishonest seller. The wheels could have been a mistake in the description etc. The issue for me is more the arrogant attitude he and his employee exhibited here.

15. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry

This is what happens when people do business by ego.

16. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    All of these (negative) reply's and not a peep from Bob or his henchman!

And all for 2 grand!

No Bob, this incident won't put you out of business but it will definitely cost you....look at all of the comments here. Word spreads fast too.

Not refunding the guy his money is a slimy move that speaks volumes of your CHARACTER.

17. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Was really hoping Zippy would chime back in and torpedo another hole in the SS Norwood!

18. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

But that's not the circumstance here.

Seller misrepresented the product, offered a refund if, "not as advertised, on inspection." (I may be paraphrasing.)

Car wasn't as advertised, so who's time was wasted? The sellers??? Noe, the buyer's.

Refund is in order.

D

19. glob1971

glob1971 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Czech Republic
    118 posts already ! I think we are many to follow this thread, attitude of seller is absolutely disgusting. I do hope OP will get his refund back, and Norwood will understand that rule number 1 is to respect potential buyers and behave ethically.

20. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Frankly, at this point I think Norwood should keep the $2000. With the exception of one poster, I don't think any one here would do business with him.

That $2000 could be the last profit he makes from an FChatter!

21. nickm

nickm Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Ventura Ca.
    +1

22. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    No he should not. The OP is still entitled to his money. He's not obligated to pay for the misconduct of Mr. Norwood.

I think at this point, even if he did refund the money, I'd still never do business with him. He apparently finds himself too busy to answer any of this. Here's the thing, if you read this Mr. Norwood. Just because you keep silent, it won't go away.

What really saddens me, is that Mr. Norwood represents the Ferrari brand in a pretty big way. I'm sure I'm not the only Ferrari owner and enthusiast who find this to be poor representation of our beloved brand. Shameful.

23. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Wow I've just read this thread from start to finish and with my business internet reputation is paramount importance. I suspect that PayPal will refund the deposit. Even if it is his assistant attempting to keep the funds, I can't imagine a world where a seller can keep a deposit because a buyer wastes their time. Every transaction is a waste of time right?

What would concern me is the $2000 is just the tip of the iceberg. That much ego. I know when I look for a classic, I'll seriously pause after reading this thread before I consider Norwood. For those who read this thread in the future after you've been mistreated... Do your due diligence first. ;)

24. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Oh I agree, my post was with tongue placed firmly in cheek.

25. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Did OP (buyer #1 with $2000 deposit) ever come to physically see the car?