Hotels in Chicago | FerrariChat

Hotels in Chicago

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by vincer77, Apr 28, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vincer77

vincer77 Karting

Dec 12, 2003
    I will be visiting Chicago in September and am looking for a good hotel. The Sofitel in downtown has some good rates. Is it on par with a a Ritz or Four Seasons? Ratings look very good.

Anyone not like the Sofitel?

Thanks,

Vince

2. -EZtrader-

-EZtrader- Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2009
    Sofitel is very nice, and in a great location.
    You will be happy there...

Also for your consideration is the Peninsula (my favorite), and the Trump.

all 3 are excellent

3. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    #3 Townshend, Apr 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'll second the Trump, one of the best views in the city as well. I've stayed there a few times, including last week..can't beat this..
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. aschultz19

aschultz19 Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2009
    Plain"Jane"Field, IL
    Full Name:
    Tony..........
    You wont go wrong with the big hotel chains.... Depends a bit on your style and age... I am 41 and my wife and I frequent the Drake which is a very classically styled hotel frequented by foreign dignitaries, Princess Diana, etc... It is very ornate and has a nice executive lounge.. It is the old money hotel.. The Sofitiel is very modern and a couple blocks off the mag mile. Not to my liking but a good place none the less. The penn is the new money hotel where Jennifer Aniston and Vince Vaughn stayed.... IMO, overpriced luxury which you shouldn't need if you are visiting and won't be in the room much (which you shouldn't be)... My rec has always been the Drake.... Opt for the exec lounge..
    Tony...........

5. BLAQK

BLAQK Rookie

Aug 17, 2008
    ...Super 8...

6. vincer77

vincer77 Karting

Dec 12, 2003
    I appreciate your input!

Cheers

7. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Regarding the Peninsula, my mom just stayed there last week, i went to meet up with her on sunday morning for breakfast. We go to the restaurant, and the lady there tells us that there is a 15mns wait due to the brunch ! At 10.30am ! We told her we dont care about the brunch, that my mom is a guest in the hotel ( which she already knew..) and that it is ridiculous to have to wait for a table when they are not all taken because of possible brunch customers.. Same thing happened the next sunday.
    They eventually prepared a table for us but i dont understand how a hotel as the Peninsula can have such a ridiculous policy

Rooms were nothing to rave about. They felt like any $200/night hotel in NY....but were $500. We wont book it again.

8. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    +1

Drake is tried and tested. Great, classic, first rate hotel.

We like the 4 Seasons too, and they have nice family packages.

9. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    WOW, what a rep the Northwest Sheraton is getting. BED BUGS, YIKES, and it's not the 1st time!!!!

10. drgek

drgek Formula 3

Jun 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Prefer the Park Hyatt to the Peninsula. I also like the Ritz-Carlton (which in Chicago is part of the Four Seasons chain.) I had a pretty bad experience at the Four Seasons and personally would not stay there again.

For a moderately priced alternative, I'm a big fan of the Hotel James (or is it the James Hotel?) on Ontario and Rush.

Is that the one at Arlington Park? It always looked like a dump from the outside. In any event, it's probably not within the geographic scope of the original poster's question.

11. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    That's the one.

12. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    I love the Drake. Great location, walk to everything. Very Old School, classy...

RITZ is ok, nice eatery on the top floors... haven't been there in years though...

13. Continental AutoSports

Sponsor

Aug 22, 2006
    Hinsdale, IL
    Full Name:
    Bobby Williams / Parts Manager
    Speaking of hotels in Chicago, Do any of you know a good one to view the fireworks at Grant Park on the 4th of July?

14. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
  15. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Not a hotel, but it's my GF's condo at Harbour Point. She's on the outside curve overlooking Grant Park and the fireworks come about eye level.

16. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    End up deciding?

17. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

agreed.

18. pacent

pacent Rookie

Jun 8, 2008
  19. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Gary, took your advice and sent my daughter and ex-wife there last week. They are still raving about it. Apparently the Yankees stay there when in town and Katie got a few autographs. Restaurant was also superb. Thanks! :)

20. chet

chet F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2007
    Chicago
    A boutique hotel not mentioned is the James. I have sent several people there and all have raved.

21. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

22. Kevin2772

Kevin2772 Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2006
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Ive stayed at the James and thought it was quite nice. I also was a big fan of the W Hotel. Except their valets...who scraped the **** out of the front of my buddies 997TT going to park it and driving it straight out onto the street.....

23. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    Speaking as an architect, I would highly recommend trying Hotel Burham. It's a boutique hotel in the magnificently restored Reliance Building, which is arguably the most important architectural treasure in downtown Chicago. It's not cheap, but it will be a truly unique experience. The others are all just very nice hotels.

24. chet

chet F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2007
    Chicago
    We had friends in town and they stayed at the W Lakeshore. They didn't like it, and won't return.

I give their opinion more weight as they own 4-5 hotels in Cannes.

25. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    I've stayed at the James as well. Very nice, I don't like you can't lock the bathroom door though but hey.