Hotels In NYC | FerrariChat

Hotels In NYC

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by jmillard308, Apr 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    Hi guys
    My lovely wife & I will be in New York for 3 days after Monterey on our way to London.
    We have been crawling through the net and the vast amount of information on hotels in NYC has us dazed and confused.
    Can anyone provide some guidance as to location/quality/etc for a 3-4 star hotel suitable for a couple of 50somethings who will be doing the tourist thing for a few days?
    Thanks in anticipation
    John "befuddled" Millard

2. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    there was a similar thread to this a while ago. you might want to check it out:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12211

if that doesnt help, let me know and I can recommend some hotels in NYC

3. dherman76

dherman76 Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 25, 2004
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Darren Herman
    I'd love to help - where will you be spending most of your time? What type of atmosphere are you looking for?

4. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    Hubert & Darren
    Thanks for your responses.
    I've checked out that thread, the Soho hotels sound nice but seem to be out of the centre a bit & the Soho Grand was a bit expensive for us (we have a 308 to support!) and were looking for something in the $150 per night area. Are we being optimistic?
    We found a couple near Broadway/Madison Av that seem to be OK and fit the budget. Is this area not a good idea?
    Darren, we are only there for three days, my wife has not been before and is some 12 years since I was there so we will be checking out the usual tourist things and may try and catch a Broadway Show. We also like to eat!
    Sorry to be so vague but any suggestions will be gratefully received.
    Kind Regards
    John

5. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    Unfortunately very few hotels in NYC are under $150.00 a night. The joys of the city. LOL! The problem is that most of the hotels that you would like to stay in are near attractions and the rates instantly rise. You could get a good hotel for $200 - $250 in Times Square.

6. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    The Broadway/Maidson area is not really near everything so you will end up spending most of your time walking or paying for cabs. Times Square is the place to be. :)

7. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    If you want sheer convenience to subways and trains AND dont care that much about room decor, then I would recommend Southgate Towers (right next to Penn Station on 7th Ave and I believe 31st or 30st street). The price range is what you are looking for.

However if you really want a touristy experience, then definitely find something in Times Square like a Marriott, etc....

And as far as hotels on Broadway/Madison ave.......I do not know which ones you are referring to, but Broadway and Madison is very central to both the Eastside and Westside.

8. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    For under $150 you might need to use www.priceline.com or a similiar outfit.
    I was able to get 4-star hotels (thier wording) for around $120. Great deal.

9. dherman76

dherman76 Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 25, 2004
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Darren Herman
    You can use priceline.com - is usually a safe bet, if you don't care about which chain you are staying in.

As for a cool hotel, if you don't mind being in the 70's - a great hotel is the On The Ave Hotel. I believe the website is http://www.ontheave-nyc.com/main.htm. I have stayed here a few times and the rooms are very clean, gorgeous, upscale. Very minimalistic but 'chic'.

They are having a special I believe, $169 - not sure, don't hold me too it, but its on their website. Good luck!

10. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    Hi Guys
    Thanks for all your input - we have followed all that up, together with more sessions on the net :(
    Have started to narrow it down a little and would love your comments if you are aware of any of the following -
    Lucerne
    Belvedere
    Travel Inn
    Excelsior.
    The Travel Inn is favourite at the moment as it has a pool which appeals to "her indoors"
    Thanks, and maybe we can catch up for a drink when we get there - Aug 16 -19
    Best
    John

11. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    Sorry John, never stayed at those hotels before. can;t give u any input.

12. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    Me neither. Sorry I could not be of any assistance.