HOU - Houston Lake Houses? | FerrariChat

HOU Houston Lake Houses?

Discussion in 'Texas' started by rob lay, Jul 9, 2024.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    So right now one of Mia's top 3 choices to run at is University of Houston with Carl Lewis. I'm just looking at lake house options within about an hour of University of Houston.

Houston Lake is less than 30 minutes away and Conroe 1 hour.

Quick look both seem to be similar with maybe Houston Lake real estate 25% less for apples to apples.

Houston Lake seems to have more newer development options that are permanent family homes vs. weekend lake houses at Conroe. Conroe seems more packed real estate and probably the lake busier too.

Bass fishing wise, which is very important to me, Conroe blows Houston Lake away. Conroe is probably one of the top 10 bass lakes in Texas. The muddy Lake Houston water might be better for catfish.

I really don't need a big family home, but even for newer big houses those at Lake Houston are pretty affordable. Conroe seems to have more condo and townhome options, which might be perfect for me. Another bonus for Conroe is access to Woodlands, which I like as similar to Southlake.

Anyone have experience with lake houses around Houston? Grazie!

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Probably cheaper this week than last. At least Conroe is far enough from the coast to avoid storm surge worries, but even in the city of Houston they get serious flooding fairly often so just be sure you understand the flood plain map for the area. A short distance can make a big difference!

VAF84 and rob lay like this.
  3. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Born in Conroe. Lake Conroe definitely the better of the 2 for your lifestyle. Lake Houston area pretty rough and can get wrecked by hurricanes in a way that Conroe doesn’t deal with. Commute is a pain depending on time but i think your daughter would enjoy visiting Conroe/ The Woodlands area more in her off time. Keep in mind safety around U of H as well. I lived in 3rd ward and it can get a bit crazy at times.

VAF84, Texas Forever and rob lay like this.
  4. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    We're all getting older. Make sure health care is reasonably accessible. It can be a hassle having to drive over an hour to visit your primary care doctor.

vraa and rob lay like this.
  5. Ryan S.

Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Definitely good consideration.
    The Woodlands / Conroe has great healthcare and for serious stuff Houston med center is an easy commute.

VAF84 and rob lay like this.
  6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Here's my two non-Bitcoin cents:

1. The only big lake in the Houston area with investment potential is Lake Conroe. According to mythology, it has the least amount of public access for any Corps of Engineers lake in the country. The other lakes are mud holes only suitable for pigs to wallow in.

2. One big problem with Lake Conroe is the City of Houston owns the water. During drought conditions, they will draw down the lake leaving property owners high and dry. I'm talking about the shoreline receding by 20 feet or more. Don't ask how I know this to be true.

3. Another problem is Lake Conroe gets a lot of traffic. I used to own two acres on the Caney Creek finger that faced the national forest on the other side. Wake boarders then discovered it was the best spot on the lake. Because most of their boats use V8 motors, it sounded like the Indy 500 on weekends. They then would circle up and party, with rap crap blasting out of speakers. I sold before I got the deer rifle out.

4. Lake Conroe is a l-o-n-g way from U of H. My guess is commute time is at least an hour. In the winter, this means driving in the dark after practice.

My suggestion would be to buy/rent a condo in the Mid-Town section of Houston for your daughter. It will be a short trip for your daughter to UH. Plus, it is the swinging hot spot in Houston.

There are better fishing lakes elsewhere.

You're welcome.

energy88 likes this.
  7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Great local insight, thank you!

This isn't for my daughter to live, she'll be in a dorm and then apartment close to campus. I want a lake place, it needs to be about the perfect distance she doesn't come all the time, but not too far she won't come every month or so. Especially if she's competing, I want to be close enough to attend meets.

Further analysis of Lake Houston I still like many of the new lake houses that were built just 5 years ago, more modern than most of the stuff built on Conroe. I also found out it has a little better bass fishing than I thought, but still a mud hole and not near as good as Conroe. It is much closer to UoH, but I did notice it is about the same distance to the Woodlands from Conroe.

OK, so I spent 2 hours looking at every property for sale on Lake Conroe. Actually, the values aren't that much more than the similar houses on Lake Houston, but most older.

Do you know anything about the Bentwater Country Club neighborhood far Northwest? The houses pretty reasonable and then nice community amenities with the Country Club. https://www.bentwater.com/

8. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Bentwater is IMHO the best development on Lake Conroe. It is pricey, but a lot of places get trashed out by rednecks. I know the CFO there. I can ask him what are the pros and cons.

Ryan S. likes this.
  9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I don't need that much info yet, but I do like the looks of it!

She's also looking at Texas Tech, then I would probably look at Alan Henry lake. If she goes somewhere in Kansas I will probably get another hunting property up there.

DIGMAN52 and Texas Forever like this.
  10. Ryan S.

Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    #10 Ryan S., Jul 10, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2024
    Lake Conroe was so much fun in the 90s before it went crazy there. Spent a ton of time on the water. I’d probably still live on it if I didn’t move to lake Travis.

Lake Travis still my favorite though it needs to fill up again.

Also if wanting to stay in state the best college experience is still UT. Almost too much for a student to do.

Only other thing I’d consider would be SMU or Rice.

Texas Forever and rob lay like this.
  11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Academically she couldn’t get into Rice or SMU, but she could run for them.

Texas or A&M she needs to drop about 15 seconds a mile to make it.

Houston she would already be top 7 and Entrepreneurship ranked #10 in country.

Ryan S., Texas Forever and vraa like this.
  12. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Their Entrepreneurship program is great and difficult to get into. The key is hanging out at the Entrepreneurship Office and networking before you apply.

rob lay likes this.
  13. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    My aunt lives on Lake Houston. Atascosita is a nightmare to get to imo.

An ex of mine lived on Cullen across from UH. It was definitely sketchy at night.

Texas Forever, rob lay and Ryan S. like this.
  14. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    My son went to Tech and we had a great experience while he was there. It's really built up a lot since then, but new roads cutting across town help now.

Texas Forever and rob lay like this.
  15. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    What is she going to study?

I always beg of kids heading off to college, please take a foreign language, Russian or Chinese if you can find it,
    or French, something to set you apart from everyone else once you graduate, IF you want to work for a company
    that does business internationally. I'm assuming she knows SOME Spanish by now?

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    She's pretty much all business, what flavor we don't know yet. She has an entrepreneurial streak like I do, but she's interested in food services. Not accounting, not finance, I could possibly see her in marketing or sales.

She will have 1 year Mandarin and 3 years Spanish.

A topic for a different thread, but we have one of the best performing school districts yet I'm still not sure she learns anything. That said, I was really good at HS and College math and I couldn't help her with Algebra 2 at all, so I didn't learn anything either.

17. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I forgot one thing about Bentwater. Even if you have a waterfront lot, nobody can have a dock. Being a lot owner allows you to join the "Yacht Club" where you can keep your boat.

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    That's what I see, but everyone has a boat lift with cover. I'm cool with that slightly more classy than boat docks that get beat up after 2 years.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    It also means you don't have to pay a premium for a waterfront lot. Because it is built out, you can check out the "lake view" homes and keep your boat at the marina.

20. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Rob,

I have a home on Lake Conroe and have had it for years. It is in Walden.

Lake Conroe has had a lot of recent development along 105 and has proximity to The Woodlands.

I am biased, but Lake Houston is way different than Conroe. Lake Conroe gets hectic on holiday weekends, but during the weekdays it is normal, especially in non-summer months. My nephew did fishing tournaments on Conroe all the time and he definitely liked it.

Bentwater gets a bit "traffic-y" because of the 1097 issue and getting access to 45. Beautiful area that we built in years ago, but further north on the lake from the restaurants and activities.

Homes in Bentwater have docks (i have no idea what the rules are).

In Walden, we are not allowed to have a raised dock or two story structure, but regular docks (with covers) on the bulkhead are fine. Everything is licensed through the SJRA (San Jacinto River Authority) and our yearly license is based on the calculated square footage of the dock. We have a pretty big dock that was built for a Cigarette boat before we modified it, but i think it is like $52/year or close to that. I would look at the SJRA website and see what guidelines they have for any waterfront areas you are looking at.

Lake Conroe waterfront does not last long on the market, and very little come sup for sale.

Shawn

Texas Forever and vraa like this.
  21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    thanks Shawn, good info!

22. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Food... such as Conagra? Tyson?
    Or grain trading (like Gavilon or Cargill?)
    The last cruise I took down the Danube River in Europe I think there was at least one
    Cargill facility on every countries' river bank...

Rob, nobody is more 'math stupid' than I am, I was in the last class in high school
    that did NOT require algebra, calculus, geometry, physics, etc.
    BUT I know hexadecimal, binary and octal math...

We were required to take 'Senior Math Review', which consisted of
    Add, Subtract, Multiply, Division, Fractions and.... Algebra.
    You had to get 70% or better, I aced all the Add, Subtract, Multiply, Division,
    almost all of the fractions, and didn't bother with the algebra, and scored 80%

I never had to take an SAT or ACT test to get into college, thank God.

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think a good chance after her undergraduate she does a fancy 1-2 year cooking school somewhere. I think the restaurant business is too much of a grind, but she needs to figure that out or not.

24. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Precisely.
    You don't want her wondering if she could have made it (or not) if she DIDN'T try it.

Funny, I was looking for a good Chef Knife just two days ago, not sure I want to spend $600 on ONE,
    but the tools of the trade are just as expensive as Ferrari parts (relatively speaking, of course).
    Sharpness, weight, balance, I guess it's all a big deal....

rob lay likes this.