Houston, we have a problem... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Houston, we have a problem...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Texas Forever, Dec 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Great post. This is a perfect illustration of what I said earlier. Generally speaking, the contemporary cars from our most formative years are the ones we continue to love and desire. This gentleman speaks to his love for the 360, which is great. When I was a young teen in the 80’s I was obsessed with the Countach, 288, 328. I remain just as passionate about them today, if not more. In fact, I honestly don’t even recall knowing anything about 275’s or 250’s when I was a teen. I’ve grown to love them as an adult but they were totally insignificant to me when I was young. I’m going to guess that men who grew-up loving the Ferrari’s of the 50’s and 60’s weren’t terribly fond of the “modern” cars of the 80’s and 90’s. The simple truth is, young boys today dream about LaFerrari’s and SF90’s, and that’s totally normal.

VAF84 and Doug. like this.
  2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #52 Rifledriver, Jan 2, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
    I am just a hair younger than Texas Forever, grew up immersed in American Muscle cars. We had a cruise strip and over in the industrial part of town drag races on Friday night. The guy next door was a professional drag racer. I first discovered Ferrari reading over my brothers shoulder a road test of a 275 4Cam in Road and Track. Hardly knew about Ferrin cars before that. I am a Ferrari mechanic and have 2 in the garage. You can do it if you want. It doesn't need to be a new 812 and Maybe you cant have a 4500 foot house in an upscale suburb AND a ski house in the mountains And a ski boat And all the other toys. Choices need to be made.

dodici, VAF84, Texas Forever and 3 others like this.
  3. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    I miss the Pininfarina designs so much. The 360/430 outline just personafied elegant performance for me. Rifledriver, I know what you mean. As I got older I realized that my dreams just became more affordable. Some can have it all, others have to choose. I don't mind. I chose my career based on what inspired me to be the best version of myself, and to serve others in my greatest capacity. It was very rewarding personally. I'm glad I never lost interest in these cars because I probably love them now even more than I did as a boy. I looked at them for so many years, and to see their listings now at prices that I can actually pay is almost too much for me to handle lol. It's taken this long, I don't see a point in rushing it. Need to buy my daughter her first car, and then after that I will pull the trigger. It will be nice if the 360/430 doesn't appreciate TOO much during that time, lol.

Anyway, didn't mean to hijack the thread! Carry on!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Boosted930, VAF84 and Texas Forever like this.
  4. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Pininfarina designed plenty of unattractive cars....trust me. Good looking Ferraris didn't end with that contract.

I had a couple of available career paths that would have made me a lot more money but I do what I love and it sounds like you do too. There are more important things.
    Sounds like you are doing everything right. Keep it up.

Boosted930, VAF84, jpalmito and 4 others like this.
  5. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I dunno. Most teenage boys I know are more interested in video games than cars. My SIL is 38 and grew up in Palo Alto. He didn't get a driver's license until he was 35. I fear exotic sport cars, including Ferrari, will suffer the same problem Harley Davidson did. Namely, for decades Harley sold everything it made and then some. However, they never offered anything for younger riders. It was great while the Boomer demographic lasted, but not so great afterward.

VAF84 likes this.
  6. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Yes, I’m referring to young teens who have a passion for cars. There were plenty of my peers when I was young that never have cars a second thought.

7. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I have said for years, the F360 was Ferrari's equivalent to Porsche's 911. It was a perfect storm. The '90s were boom years. The Baby Boomers had excess funds. If I recall correctly, the initial MSRP was $149,000. The car was sexy as hell and very accessible. Americans fit in the car. Luca di Montezemolo hit an out-of-the ballpark, knock the skin off, home run. Ferrari would not be were it is today if not for the F360. Ferrari dealers went from begging people to buy cars to having waiting lists.

Granted, the F430 is a better drivers car. But it was the F360 that started it.

8. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    We'll see, or maybe you'll see. At 69, I won't be around long enough to see today's 16-year kids buy a LaFerrari. But, if Ferrari made a more accessible car, like a Dino, I'd be more optimistic.

I still say Luca's strategy of Fiat - Alfa - Maserati - Ferrari was the way to go. Oh well. Ferrari will sell everything it makes for outrageous prices so they don't need my advice. :cool:

9. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Interesting observation. I had always believed that a 288 would walk away from my Testarossa in a straight line. I recall Cavallino magazine in 1985 (now that dates me) which quoted Rene Arnoux(?) taking a 288 for a long, rainy night time drive from Modena to Paris and describing it as fearsomely, exhaustingly quick. I will go to the garage and tell my TR that it is fearsome, and as quick as a 288.

This gets away from the original question, but if Ferrari sold a new car which was as quick in a straight line as a Testarossa, would it be well received, or is that now too slow? While a new Golf Type R would run and hide from my TR (0-60 in 3.9 vs. 5.3), I am quite satisfied with that level of performance, probably because while avoiding prison, it is also engaging and dramatic to use.

Auraraptor, wfu97 and Texas Forever like this.
  10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Performance numbers in magazines sell these things and the TR it too slow. Just the way it is.

Real live straight line speed numbers between 288 and TR are about the same. The 288 obviously handles better.

Texas Forever likes this.
  11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Ferrari has never been proactive to changing market demands. They will do whats working until it stops working. FWIW people have been predicting that demise for a long time. Part of the reason is a Pied Piper effect. People follow because they have a need to be where the brand goes, not the other way around.

Texas Forever and BoulderFCar like this.
  12. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro

Umm, I would disagree. I had a 328 for over 20 years, and its indeed a great car, fun to drive and rewarding to own. its also very beautiful. but as a car not that much. compared to modern cars it is slow, but that is ok, where its difficult is that you just have issues in daily driving situations... its low, little hard to see, not very comfortable for long periods of time - 2+ hours... and the creature comforts are not there. I will agree that on a country road, with windows down its great fun... but in anything like traffic its not - its more frustrating and frightening as trucks wheels are at your eye level. I now have a 599 - with 3x the HP... and I agree its also a monster if you let it get that far, but its also great to drive - up in the mountains - it will entertain and SCARE the crap out of you if you let it. ideally I'd have the 328 and the 599... but wifey does not agree. the modern cars are just much more usable, and lets face it we all have to get from home to fun roads to enjoy any of our cars, and that is where the pain comes in. the 599 has its share of issues as well, just like any good sports car/ GT... its low, you scrape on anything, its huge - wide and tires fling up every stone and pebble around chipping the paint.

with the 328 you are always facing some form of Maintenance issue - belts, radiators or electrical issues. 599 is much the same - shocks, wheels, overfill with oil, etc.... and they will both cost $$$$ its just the name of the game. the one thing the 599 does that the 328 cant do anymore is impress from 5mph to 100 mph... you can do that in almost any space you can find. and be back at legal speeds like nothing happened. that is what is impressive ... the 328 beats the 599 ( and all modern Ferrari's ) as the car you can look at for hours on end. ....

13. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    We had one for 4 years, and I agree it is a beast... the old Porsche "whishen" skill is still needed, and the turbo while not as quick by today's standards, was well able to overpower the rest of the car. ours leaked oil a lot ... and got to the point where my dad got frustrated at cost of maintenance for so few miles..... wonder if the Dr. in Cleveland who bought it still has it?

14. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Isn't leaking oil a German standard? :p

2cam, Rifledriver and Texas Forever like this.
  15. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    But they leak with German precision.

2cam, VAF84 and Texas Forever like this.
  16. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Young people feel indestructible. That is why they ride sport bikes without motorcycle licenses and drive poorly sorted out hotrodded cars. Both can kill you but at that young age they don’t feel it is possible. Frankly the most fun I have on the road is riding one of my bikes at 6-7/10s(albeit the sport bikes get shorter rides as my back, shoulders/wrists age). Over the last 10 years supercars have achieved near parity in acceleration and with similar fun if a convertible IMHO.
    In other words same exhilaration with a better safety net.
    Then over the last 2-3 years these cars now exceed most motorcycle acceleration numbers and have literally become too fast for their owners own good(hence all the driver aides baked into the cars). Who needs sub 10 sec quarter miles and 700+ horsepower-on the street and public roads- no one. I may want it as I’m sure many on this site do but unless you are on a closed course you are being a hooligan on 4 wheels if you are utilizing all that power and a poor ambassador to the Ferrari Brand.
    A friend of mine, a retired Marine jet fighter pilot, drives like an old lady on the street. why?
    He says after pulling multiple Gs and being slammed into his seat when he lights up the afterburners ( and saved from going unconscious with his G Suit) everything else is slow. This includes one’s own reaction time which is perilously close to the limit in these cars- especially on the public roads.
    Will I lust after the 1000hp Ferrari - yeah- but if I do get it I’ll be lucky to drive it at 5/10ths- not challenging by any means and the older “analog” cars are more challenging/engaging-just don’t expect me to not want the latest/greatest/next Ferrari.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

17. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Freaking Germans. I had a MB (SEL 500) that was driving us nuts. It would start fine then run out of gas. After much cussing, it turns out MB put a senor on the crankshaft in case it failed. This sensor was tied to the fuel injection. Our problem was the sensor was going bad. But to the bigger point, has MB ever had a crankshaft fail? No, but one might so let's put a #@!$%@#! sensor there.

18. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Indeed. The oil spot in the driveway is always consistent within .002mm in either direction!

Boosted930 likes this.
  19. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    FWIW, one of the bike mags just tested 3 "adventure bikes".
    BMW boxer twin, Ducati Multistrada + new HD "Pan American" or some such...

Harley won.

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/motorcycle-reviews/big-bore-adventure-shootout-comparison/?fbclid=IwAR1MbrHWeNsRQNdNVO5_-tb04DtoOqkmG7gvVn4dDkhuj-hcNGNP86e-ICk

20. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  21. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Yeah, right? And fringed saddlebags.

22. vroom

vroom Karting

Sep 9, 2007
    Pasadena
    Hi, I had a 328, but am thinking about a 599 at FOA. Have you enjoyed your 599, is it a keeper? Any other pro’s/cons is appreciated. Thanks

23. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Or get really hurt.

But yes, vintage and small is a very visceral experience.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

24. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Get another 328. 599 felt huge to me, and I suspect the repair and parts costs would be a worry. Plus the 328 will appreciate.

My two cents…

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

25. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Dale,

I had the 458 spider (same car as Steve’s) up at TOD last fall, and mixed it up, as it were, with numerous Miatas, Porsche’s, a few C8s and other high winged, wide tire cars. If you’re willing to push to 7-8 on your scale, the sheer hp of the 458 will do most of them in quite readily. In terms of fun factor (including the sound), I still think the F kills it.

Yes it oversteers and slides a bit (Michelin 4SPS), but is predictable if you’re careful with throttle modulation. Heat the tires and brakes up good (you can smell when the car is ready), and use CT off at your own peril, lol…….

William