How are opinions developing on the 812 design - poll | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How are opinions developing on the 812 design - poll

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Lukeylikey, Jul 24, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

After a period of familiarity how has your opinion of the 812 developed?

1. Loved it from the start

2. Lukewarm at the beginning, love it now

3. Felt lukewarm at the beginning, still do but am buying/ would have one if I could

4. Felt lukewarm at the beginning, still do, don’t like it enough to buy

5. Liked it at the start, less so now

6. Didn’t like it at the start, love it now

7. Just can’t get on with it, then, now, probably ever

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    We’re into the realms of high subjectivity now but I personally believe the order of this list should really consider two things - what makes you go ‘wow, that’s amazing’ and how clever the design is, given the constraints and technology of the time.

On that basis my abbreviated list...

- TDF made me go ‘wow’ more than the others, but that was mainly seeing Kimi smoke the tyres with the smoke forming a vertical plume through the three vents. For that feature alone TDF is at the top!

- 456 classical beauty, looks old now but is a 90’s car and accommodates fully four people, just a sweet design and earns its high place partly because of the context of its brief.

- 812, controversial but I like the look. Ian Callum always talks about the no.1 job a designer has to do is give the car a good stance and the 812 has it in spades - wide, low front, raised rear, emphasised arches and wheels, menace. It has controversial elements for some, but then so does the next car...

- F12, a vast improvement on its predecessor the 599. A sleek, easy to like design but a little too ‘inoffensive’ around the front and the unusual ‘uterus’ feature at the rear. Some criticise the front and rear of the 812 looking as though they were designed by different people - I only see that on the F12.

- Lusso, again, taking the car in context (and you need to understand why a shooting brake is cool) the Lusso is a good design. Similar to the F12, you could criticise it for being a little inoffensive around the front, but it is a beautiful, understated car that shows a different part of Ferrari’s personality.

- FF, a very clever car. Didn’t love it at first but then bought one and enjoyed it. It is more ‘interesting’ than its replacement but somehow a bit too marmite. When the Lusso arrived I immediately preferred it because the car’s personality suited its clothes better.

- 550/575, lumping these together because they are virtually identical. This is not a classic in terms of design to my eyes, it has a long nose, short wheelbase look that harked back to a bygone era even when it was launched. That might rightly give it a strong appeal in some quarters but in terms of imaginative design it scores low for me.

- 599, this is not Ferrari at its best. Looks good enough at first glance, with some interesting features. But then you begin to think about it’s size - it is way too big and as the F12 proved, uneccsearily so. Is this lazy design? Only PF know that but if they intended it to be so large on purpose they misread the times in my view.

- but.....all these cars are Ferraris, being judged against other Ferraris. I went to a customer preview of the Aston DBS superleggera and don’t agree with the view above. It was disappointing to me. F12 to TDF was magnificent, DB11 to DBS is an enhancement, almost like a mid-life refresh, pretty enough but not more. It is a great example of why Ferrari can find customers much more easily and even the last on my list remains a highly desirable car.

stavura, Caeruleus11, Bundy and 2 others like this.
  2. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    As you correctly stated while doing an evaluation of any Ferrari model design, or in fact any luxury good, "we're into the realm of high subjectivity" where personal taste mixed with emotions dictates the preference. Despite of our preference for one specific design in disfavor of another we should never loose sight of the fact that all of these cars wear a Cavallino badge and are part of this unique family which contributes to make our lives happier.

Shack, jumpinjohn and KenU like this.
  3. F50gta

F50gta Rookie

Jul 8, 2008
    Orono, MN
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    "Love big butts and I cannot lie"

4_Eff_Sake likes this.
  4. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Whoa, some pretty harsh words for the design community.

5. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
  6. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Good poll. About 50% don’t like the design. Very polarizing, which BMW would say is good.

Can’t stand the disjointed rear personally. Or the wheels.

7. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I think the fact that we need a poll to decide if the car is liked says it all. Sorry, not a classic but a stepping stone to the VS and beyond.

8. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Not sure I follow that logic - we could run a poll on any car, it just takes a snapshot in time of people’s views. Run it on the F12 and you will get a range of views.

Over 50% ‘love the car’, 20% strongly dislike it, 30% are somewhere in between. More controversial than, say, Pista for sure, but still a strong reception. I thought the split would be more even but it is heavily weighted toward the positive.

9. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Not trying to offend. Opinions will change when there are enough delivered cars I believe. Always does. However, the car's design is an issue for sure more so than its predecessors IMO. Every pro video review always states something like "looks aside, the car...." Agree the poll is a snapshot but the intro and to-date responses are in the books.

10. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Would be interested to have a poll that looks at the subset who are ACTUALLY in the market rather than the a general view. Wonder of the % would be different

11. richigga

richigga Rookie

Sep 27, 2017
    Full Name:
    MC
    As a 812 owner, i just love how it handles. You have to drive it to see the difference and how they have improved not just one step up. Look wise, i'd have to say the front looks odd.Especially if u look at the front at a 30 degrees angle. And the air intake near the headlight,its just bad...I bought this car mainly so i could hop on the bus to get a track version of the 812. I highly doubt ferrari can top the look of tdf, but ferrari people have been known to save their designs for the track version so i guess we will have to wait and see...

4_Eff_Sake and crinoid like this.
  12. irule

irule Rookie

Nov 25, 2012
    Europe
    i think it looks great in real life but i am not a big fan of layers in design. i am more into simpler lines like F40 or 250 line.

LARRYH likes this.
  13. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    I’m just thankful they didn’t make a car that looked like the Senna.

When the marketing came out saying that it would be a brutal car, I thought they meant a track weapon, not: “her face is brutal!”

14. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    as for the 812.. I just cannot get on board with the looks .. I will agree the side profile at certain angles looks very nice ..
    but I currently own a 550 , 599GTo, and F12 . and I like the looks of the F12 better then the 812.. I would admit if I did not own an F12
    I would possibly go for the 812...I am not one that cares about the latest and greatest just for the sake of it so I will pass on the 812 for now...

Solid State, Caeruleus11 and crinoid like this.
  15. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    totally agree
    when it came out i thought it looked like a JV between corvette and supra. i still feel like that so zero bid

Caeruleus11, LARRYH and crinoid like this.
  16. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Senna is stunning.

17. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Stunned that they would produce something looking that hideous and then presume it would sell at that price, or at any price?

Stunned that the car doesn’t crush under the weight of the B52 bomber, I mean rear wing stuck to the back of that poor ugly thing?

Stunned that something so horrific would be named after such a beloved late legend of F1?

...I’m sure it probably drives nice however.

18. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Nope, stunning good looks.

crinoid likes this.
  19. richigga

richigga Rookie

Sep 27, 2017
    Full Name:
    MC
    I agree with u and like the look of it personally. Senna its the type car u either love or hate, road present is insane. I really hope they could focus on the reliablility of the cars they are making instead of just pushing new models that are basically the same engine. I know four P1 owner and their P1 stays in service most of the year...

20. bobbyd

bobbyd Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    That this thread exists at all is all one needs to know.

Unfortunately the 812 is not among the more beautiful Ferrari's , despite it's other virtues (mainly the engine).

I do not have a lot of confidence in Ferrari's design team at present, this car is evience.

21. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    Im sorry mate but the Senna is just hideous. Its a total mess.

4_Eff_Sake likes this.
  22. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    In some respects I agree but to my eyes the Lusso is visually better than the FF in almost every way and that was an in house Ferrari design. I think the 812 is very imposing, just not pretty from some angles. Most complain about front and rear, my gripe is the air intakes inside the headlamps plus the sharp angled headlamp shape.

23. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Lusso was a copy, paste, and tweak. 812 is a different car than the f12. Took a while for the f12 to grow on me. Doesn't seem like it's going to happen with the 812.

I like 458 better than 488 and 360 better than 430. Not sure it's a in house or out of house factor for me.

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk

My 1st likes this.
  24. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham

And, you need to understand why a shooting brake is cool...

Exactly, and most people don’t.

But I do !

otakki likes this.
  25. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Off topic question: Are other McLaren models equally unreliable?